Neurotic_Mastermind

SSA Topic: The Last Word

i really liked this topic, it was't to broad, or too specific, and it was terrific to debate for your novice year (mine xD) and i really liked it the most because its an issue that if being overlooked in the world and when i was on the aff i really felt for it, and debated from the heart, overall it was pretty cool, and my favorite aff. to run was civil war in africa, a little hard to debate against T, but destroyed all general turns and basic Da's and stuff ^_^

• Downvote 1

I must say, I enjoyed this topic much more than last years topic. I am tired of people running Peace Corps Aff. I HATED the topicality arguments. It was a sweet topic, because half the time I got to talk about Pirates, how BA is that?

All in all i enjoyed this topic. It helped me grow as a debater. Oh and BTW Go Al Shifa (11-3)!!!!

personally, i thought this was a great topic...if anything too much literature(I don't think anyone else used our aff, at least no one that I know of), and while we did lose our semi-final round at state due to a case we hadnt heard of(cp's and k's dont work here)...for the most part it was never an issue. There were amazing generic blocks, and tie it with good analytics(most cases seemed to suffer from), it really wasnt that bad even as neg. As far as generic disads go...as much as I liked our revamped China DA, I never understood why people focused on those DA's and didnt get more unique. Even if arguments are generic, judges seem to be more forgiving if its different from what they have heard the past 10 rounds.(Well assuming it wasnt just horrible, like the AU DA)

Edited by Wildatheart

I thought the topic was a great one becuase Africa is a huge issue in the world today. It almost makes us continually be more and more aware of other things that are going on. Also I just enjoyed debating it. Someone in a previous post I belive said the lit base was small but I found it easy to cut evi and I absolutly loved cutting cases and evi for this topic.

My favorite moment was our 7th round at Harvard when our opponents read a narrative AFF that said you are racist if you don't know the history of Africa and they were both African American. So we played music and our first song was by the black eyed peas called were is the love and we talked about how we don't want to learn just about Africa because only talking about your own race only creates hate and so we wanted to talk about the whole world and talked about how we use music to do it. We ended up winning and I got a perfect 30 speaks. OH and the best part was me standing on the tables.

• Downvote 3

for the most part, I thought this was a good topic for a couple of reasons:

1. Cause-heads: since africa has become a highly visible media issue these days, and people support action in africa because they think they can on facebook, it allowed thes kids to relate to it in terms of activism. I also think that this was a good topic for lay-critics because many of them know at least something was messed up in africa, so they had some pre-existing knowledge base.

2. Taught kids critical questions to evaluate foreign policy. One big question many ask is why take care of africa if we have some of the same problems here. In building their strategies, some of my students found it difficult to overcome that bit of cognitive dissonance.

3. I think it is better than the topic before (service) and maybe even the one before that (civil liberties). I also think that it was good for students have to debate africa, for the first time in the history of the activity in high schools....it gave them some new things to read about

i thought that this topic was pretty decent, but a lot of times the t debates got really retarded (i.e. the Code of Federal Regulations card about public health assistance referring to illegal aliens into America). As far as the China DA goes, often times it was set up pretty poorly, but NFA's china DA with the Iranian prolif ! was really sweet. My favorite case this year was probably kritikal lesbian sex toys from some team from Nebraska (I saw it at CFLs). This is my third topic in debate and is definitely my favorite. I am looking forward to next year's topic and I hope it will be a success.

• Downvote 1

All in all, it was a pretty fun topic sometimes, though some cases I hit this year were completely bogus.

I'm a novice (or was for the SSA topic), so I can't pass a lot of judgment, but some teams ran so many Ts it was ridiculous. But that was lack of strategy more than anything else.

I thought it was overall a good topic, especially to introduce me to debate (as other people have mentioned), because it allows for kind of a dose of everything. Great intro to debate, although in the long run not really my cup o' tea for subject matter. I'll be more interested in Alternative Energy.

I do have a qualm about one advantage, though - AIDS globalization by mutating to become airborne. At least at the novice level, the vast majority of teams I hit weren't able to articulate how that would happen, and they really didn't have great evidence. Again, though, that's just my (admittedly narrow) window.

Since I was a novice, I wasn't exposed to many freaky affs. Probably the weirdest one I saw was ID tags (it was critical). Their case just didn't hold up at all. It had really bad advantages, and this was my first (and probably last) aff that I hit that I actually argued significance. They said in cross-x that they only solve for 100-1,000 people. But again, it was probably just because we're novices.

• Downvote 1

It was also my first topic, and i enjoyed it for the fact that it was relatively easy to relate too, in spite of all plan action being in a foreign nation. I thought that the plethora of international actor/multi actor counterplans was a bit annoying, especially since the novices are now going into a topic without knowing a lot of theory/no solvency args to the states cp. I felt that the advantages were relatively good, but uniqueness deteriorated towards the end of the year, because of Bush's massive investment/trip to Africa. All in all, i feel like this was a good topic to learn policy debate. While i can't say anything with much authority, it was fun.

My freshman year was the UNPKO topic and to be honest it kicked ass, the other three topics i debated were much less interesting.

PKOs owns all topics- huge UN good/bad lit base, clear limits, lots of room for flexability.

Best Aff I heard was CVD. I mean how can you beat the disease bigger than AIDs Malaria and TB combined while spending no out of budget money and saving the global economy? I also liked Water Hyacinth... it was unexpected. Best Neg arguments were Fear of Death Ks and Nietzsche- I love debates where you get to throw stuff at your opponent for supporting a messed version of Nietzsche (saying morals are bad). But yeah way more fun than National Service.

• Downvote 2

i will dearly miss this topic... but thanks to the cartagena protocol (alot-single digits), i enjoyed my last year debating...

• Downvote 1