Ankur

Northeast Calendar

THE GRAND PURPOSE

In addition to having a calendar for everyone's use so you all can plan your schedules for the year, the grand idea is to try and convince the local leagues in the northeast to try and align specific weekends so that teams can opt to travel on those weekends without having to sacrifice local debate. This way, everyone wins - the local leagues and the teams who travel! But to do this, we need a comprehensive calendar. This means every local, regional and circuit tournament!

RESPONSIBILITIES

I will collect the information for the circuit tournaments. I have already made much progress on the circuit schedule using information on this website. What I cannot do is get your local and regional invitationals on the schedule without your help. So, I desperately need the cooperation of coaches and debaters in the northeast.

WHAT DO YOU NEED TO SEND ME?

Local League Schedules

We want the local league schedules for ALL northeast region leagues which I am going to for the moment qualify as the following states:

Maine, New Hampshire, Vermont, Massachusetts, Rhode Island, Connecticut, New York, New Jersey, Pennsylvania, Maryland, Delaware, District of Columbia and Virginia.

Regional Tournaments

If there is a regional/national tournament in our region (same states as above), we need to post it. There should be no tournament that escapes this list if you help me out. Consider it free advertising for your tournament!

WHAT ABOUT INVITATIONS?

If you have electronic invitations for your tournaments, or have received any, or know where to get them, then please post them here so I can keep them with your event.

WHAT WILL IT LOOK LIKE?

As a sample of what it will look like, I have uploaded a one page word document to mediafire. Please download it so you get a better idea of what the project is. FYI - Black is national, Blue is regional, Red is local.

Edited by Ankur

you rock, ankur. kempsville and cox are pretty much the only schools from southeastern virginia that travel these days, but i'll pass along the schedule for our local league as soon as i have it (probably not until september). maybe having the schedule available will encourage some richmond- and williamsburg-area schools to participate in the tdl like they did in the sepia-toned days of my youth.

Guest svfrey

Sounds like a pretty ballin' idea.

You realize that this is going to be a massive undertaking, though, and it's only going to work if this is able to be effectively distributed to each school in the "Northeast?"

It doesn't need to be distributed to every school. Saint John's can probably figure out the schedule for the other tournaments in Massachusetts (and I can contact the coaches at Manchester, Weston, and Lexington if there's anything missing).

Given that Bishop Guertin no longer holds a tournament, and Vermont, NH, Maine, RI, and Connecticut have no policy tourneys that I know of (outside of Yale, which falls on the same weekend as GDS), that's about it in terms of New England, but I'll keep looking.

BUMP!

I know scome schedules have been made.

Please start sending them!!!!!

Little Lexington (MA) is traditionally the weekend before Thanksgiving.

Weston (MA) is either the 6th or the 13th of December.

MA States moves around, but it's usually sometime in April (safely after most other tournaments).

Do you have Philly? I don't have it but I'll track it down if you don't have it. And have you asked Durkin for Baltimore?

i have zero local/regional schedules except for WACFL dates (no names/locations) and villiger since thats always the same weekend.

upon better analysis, i dont know whether local tournament locations are necessary. its not as if the locations influence regional scheduling.

so, i have WACFL and PCFL.

Waiting on the following CFL districts:

Baltimore (MD)

Boston (MA)

Worcester (MA)

Camden (NJ)

Newark (NJ)

Patterson (NJ)

Albany (NY)

Brooklyn (NY)

Buffalo (NY)

New York (NY)

Ogdensburg (NY)

Rochester (NY)

Rockville Center (NY)

Syracuse (NY)

Allentown (PA)

Altoona-Johnstown (PA)

Erie (PA)

Harrisburg (PA)

Pittsburgh (PA)

Scranton (PA)

Providence (RI)

Arlington (VA)

Richmond (VA)

I know not all of them (in fact, most of them) dont have policy. But it doesnt hurt to verify. Please help me get whatever data you can!

Edited by Ankur
  • Downvote 1

Arlington does not have a separate calendar from Washington - hence the W and A in WACFL.

I asked Durkin to send me Baltimore. I will get you Allentown as well although they don't have policy, and I'll try to get NYCFL as well.

Altoona Johnstown only participates in speech events and student congress (at the CFL qualifier - I think Arch Bishop Caroll might be the one exception) but they just run three wednesday tourneys in January and February, and have their qualifier = very few schools in that league have the means, or the interest, to travel much beyond Pittsburgh.

awesome. keep em coming.

hudson bump?

st johns debaters-

are there any regionals up there? does weston run a regional?

Guest svfrey

*shrewsbury* bump

weston does usually run one, but i don't know if kyle has found out when it is yet.

i havent

I listed above all the regional tournaments in Massachusetts that I know of. I'll track down the exact dates later, but here are my best guesses as of right now:

Tim Averill Invitational (Manchester, MA): October 31-November 1st. These guys would be absolutely dense to put their tourney on the same weekend as Bronx, as both are LD TOC bids, so I'm guessing this date instead of the previous weekend.

Little Lexington: November 22nd. One day, four rounds, usually two dozen or more teams in novice and substantially fewer in varsity. Suffers from being on the same weekend as Glenbrooks and Villiger, but the small size is what allows it to be kept to one day and organized well, so maybe this is just better the way it is.

Weston: December 6th. One day, novice (and maybe JV) only. Last year, they didn't schedule the tournament far enough in advance, so we couldn't go. I went to judge anyway; it's a small tournament, with most teams from MA bringing novice policy squads in addition to a few LD and PFD teams. It'll probably only be Lexington, BG, Saint John's, and Weston any way it happens.

Big Lex and Harvard are national-circuit tournaments, so I assume you already have those down.

The Worcester diocese has no tournaments that I know of unless SJ decides to host one this year. It looks unlikely, however, and if it did happen, it'd probably be in the late spring after most national-circuit tournaments are over.

Kyle -

I have all 45 or 46 national tournaments on the calendar. I was able to get those quickly. I am in the process of confirming those dates with the coaches of those schools (partly because I am going to release a national only calendar for the entire cross-x.com community).

Jeff -

I have taken a 1 or 1.5 month break from this and will resume in mid-August when teachers are returning to school. I assume that most leagues hold no scheduled meetings over the summers and therefore no new information would develop until school is in session.

Of course, if you manage to get any final calendars sooner than that, it would definitely be added!

Harassing Pittsburgh, Scranton, Harrisburg and Massachusetts would be a start. Also getting Mid-Hudson League would be very good.

Don't know if you've got this covered already, but Jim Menick's website does have a schedule of MHL tournaments at http://www.jimmenick.com/mhl/sked.html - it doesn't look like he's updated it yet for the next year but I would keep on the lookout for that.

Also the Monticello tournament looks like it's going to be October 10-11 this year.

Again, sorry if you already knew this.

Harrisburg has 1 Policy team in it's CFL, don't bother.

Also, the Harrisburg Area Debate League meets almost every Wednesday from October to February.