Sign in to follow this  
KatieFred

Missouri at NFLs

greenwood hit princeton rd. 10, no word on results for round 9 or 10

*update*

According to some, Princeton was undefeated going into round 10 w/ Greenwood. So we are assuming that Greenwood dropped to princeton in round 10.

Their round 9 team was down one so we also assume that Greenwood picked up against 134.

This is all assumption based off records prior to round 10. not fact...

Edited by beltonpolicyguy

Greenwood is out after downing to Princeton in 10 and Berkeley Prep in 11.

We were neg in 10- Aff was GGR, 1nc was t gov-gov, ngos disad, africom basing disad, case. 2nr was africom and case- the decision was a 2-1 (don't know judges' names here)

We were aff in 11- Aff was FGC, 1nc was t subs=200% increase, cp do 99%, african econ and corruption as net bens, nasa funding politics, and a bunch of util/some biopower turns on case. 2nr was politics, util. 2ar severed the security debate and went for the representations advantage- it was a 2-1 decision (Brian Manuel and David Song for Berkeley Prep, don't know the name of the lady that sat)

Omar Qureshi is in sems in DX, Cassidy Miller is in sems of OO

Ballin. Now I'm officially outta high school!

Greenwood is out after downing to Princeton in 10 and Berkeley Prep in 11.

We were neg in 10- Aff was GGR, 1nc was t gov-gov, ngos disad, africom basing disad, case. 2nr was africom and case- the decision was a 2-1 (don't know judges' names here)

We were aff in 11- Aff was FGC, 1nc was t subs=200% increase, cp do 99%, african econ and corruption as net bens, nasa funding politics, and a bunch of util/some biopower turns on case. 2nr was politics, util. 2ar severed the security debate and went for the representations advantage- it was a 2-1 decision (Brian Manuel and David Song for Berkeley Prep, don't know the name of the lady that sat)

Omar Qureshi is in sems in DX, Cassidy Miller is in sems of OO

Ballin. Now I'm officially outta high school!

congrats to Greenwood on a great showing. And Omar Qureshi is a baller. Good luck man!

update:

Omar is in finals, for those of you who don't know... This is not only a huge accomplishment but a big F YOU to the meanies who kicked him out of his room last year. Total BALLER

Katie Smith of Pembroke Hill is in finals of Oratory, and so is another guy from Savannah (sorry I don't remember the name!)

Update:

Katie got 6th

Zach Beady (Savannah) got 3rd, and also won the final round.

Edited by THodgman

Top Speakers, 7-14:

Vanessa Bernick, New Trier Township

Andrew Carlson, Kapaun Mount Carmel HS

Katie Fredrick, Greenwood Laboratory School

Andres Gannon, Damien HS

Leo Hayes, Cathedral Prep

Ian Nelson, Damien HS

Nat Olson, Highland Park Sr HS, MN

Pavan Krishnamurthy, Coppell HS

Top Six:

Michael Carlotti, Cathedral Prep School

Josh Dean, Blue Valley HS

Georgi Dimitrov, Bellarmine College Prep

Reid Ehrlich-Quinn, Damien HS

Taylor Nichols, Blue Valley HS

Carl Rice, Bellarmine College Prep

thats the shit

Congrats to everyone, especially Greenwood who I judged like 85 times this years. If any of you see Louie tell him to come home, I miss him, and tell him to throw down ten on Red 7, and probably 28 too.

Oh a high school debate coach from the Springfield area sold me beer the other day.

Congrats to everyone, especially Greenwood who I judged like 85 times this years. If any of you see Louie tell him to come home, I miss him, and tell him to throw down ten on Red 7, and probably 28 too.

Oh a high school debate coach from the Springfield area sold me beer the other day.

To be clear Ruben is well over the age of 21....How old are you Ruben? 25?

Sparkman? haha

if so i bet it was ice cold

Sam Tabory from Liberty is in Extemp Commentary Finals.

Marcie Babcock from Liberty was in Sems of Impromptu

Mad Props to Omar Qureshi for getting 2nd in DX

Edited by debaterness88
update

I wanted to congratulate Lauren (cash money) Dollar and Mike (no nickname yet) Selck for their great showing at NFL nationals. It was my pleasure and a honor to have the opportunity to work with such talented young debaters. Both are returning next year and both will be in my lab this summer, so Missouri policy debaters and future NFL policy debate competitors beware. Their success at NFL demonstrated that hard work and practice does indeed translate to victories. Losing rounds 8 & 9 on close 2-1 decisions, and the round 9 decision being a total job, I am positive this team will be back next year with a chip on their shoulder.

I want to acknowledge the shout out my boy Ruben (RCA, Cuban, Korean boy, and Rubixcube) gave Blue Springs and myself, but I want to add that Cash Money and Mike would have achieved this success without my dim witted knowledge and terrible coaching decisions. The limited advice that I was able to offer these two young debaters was accepted and executed as well as any of the college debaters I coached this past year. I even coached this kid named Martin Osborn, he is kinda a big deal, just google him.

I also want to thank Ms. Shumaker for providing the resources to allow me to travel with Blue Springs High School to NFL nationals. Ms. Shumaker is an excellent coach and a wonderful person. As a former competitor against some of her greatest teams and a young FXer being judged by her, I am now glad I can call her a friend. I also want to thank the entire Blue Springs coaching staff, debaters, speech people, and forensicators for welcoming me as one of their own. I could not have asked for anything more.

Congrats to all Missouri policy teams that debated at NFL nationals. Debaters like you and the coaches that provide their time to coach and educate you are the reason why policy debate will survive in Missouri. Hopefully more coaches in Missouri will mirror the successful policy debate program Ms. Shumaker has created at Blue Springs, and policy debate in Missouri just might survive.

Thanks

Louie Petit

Assistant Director of Debate

University of North Texas

Good to see you Lou Dogg, call me if you're up for anything within driving distance this summer.

eapen

1st- I would like to thank Louie for coming out to help us as much as possible as well as judge for us.

2nd- Our successful NFL was not contingent on louie as helpful as he was- I give credit where credit is due but the one time louie had time to prep us out (against oak park riverforest) they switched affs.

3rd- I would encourage ANY of you to suffer the loss of a partner before NFLS and STILL go. Training your supplement partner from the ground up. Nobody at the National Tournament overcame what i did before debating. So to see our miniscule 9- round credit given to someone else is disheartening.

I dont know if i would of done better or worse had i still been debating with Garrett- But i did what i could with who i had.

So before another comment like the last insensitive one is posted take the time to consider how i felt during those rounds- Or how my partner Lauren (cash money) felt stepping into some very big shoes. And then compare that to where we ended up.

Congrats to Greenwood and all other Missouri accomplishments.

Edited by Selkies

A rundown of Missouri Finalists and Semi-Finalists recognized on the big stage (in the same order as in the results packet):

Main Events

OO:

3rd - Zach Beattie - Savannah - Won the Final Round

6th - Katie Smith - Pembroke Hill

10th - Cassidy Miller - Parkview

DX:

9th - Jason Bell - Ladue

FX:

2nd - Omar Qureshi - Monett

House:

4th - Ben Reid - Park Hill

Policy Speaker Awards:

9th - Katie Fredrick - Greenwood Lab

Policy:

13th - Katie Fredrick & Sarah Godwin - Greenwood Lab

Public Forum:

9th - Thomas Bentz & Alexsandra McMahan - Neosho

Supplemental Events

Expository:

6th - Bonnie Lyons - Kickapoo

Extemp Commentary:

6th - Sam Tabory - Liberty

Poetry:

4th - Teonna Wesley - Raytown South

5th - Andy Kozminski - Savannah

Consolation Events

Impromptu:

4th - Adam Blood - Joplin

Storytelling:

5th - Ariel Kizer - Truman

National Student of the Year Finalist (1 of 6)

David Kozminski - Savannah

Also, a special note - David Kozminski's rendition of Charlie the Caterpillar, with which he placed 7th at NFL's as a Sophomore in 2006 (Dallas), was flat ripped off by the kid from Oklahoma who won HI this year - voices and all. So a special congratulations to David and Mike Pittman (the Savannah Coach) for winning HI, just with a doppelganger performing it.

A total of 18 Missouri kids on stage this year in one capacity or another. Not bad at all. Congrats to everyone for representing the state so well, and let's hope for an equally, if not more successful 2008-09. This group set the bar pretty darn high.

- Miller

• Downvote 1

Also, a special note - David Kozminski's rendition of Charlie the Caterpillar, with which he placed 7th at NFL's as a Sophomore in 2006 (Dallas), was flat ripped off by the kid from Oklahoma who won HI this year - voices and all.

This is what a couple of the kids who got a chance to watch the final round had said, and frankly, it's not surprising. I remember David's version of the piece very well... lost to it plenty when I thought I was an IE kid... and it was simply spectacular. After watching the final round in Wichita, in which the only good piece didn't even win, I remember thinking that surely David would have placed at the tournament had he had a chance to face that field with CtC.

All accounts tell me that the final rounds of interp this year were absolutely fantastic. I look forward to getting a chance to watch them on DVD.

A big congrats to everyone else that managed to place at the tournament, but more than that... to everyone that got a chance to go. Particularly Mike.

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1

Congrats to everyone at the national tournament. It was a truly impressive showing. I want to especially congratulate Mike, because I think he had to deal with something so difficult that we can't understand. I applaud Mike on still attending the tournament and being successful. I think its a great accomoplishment. I had a chance to judge him at the Truman RR, and I think he's going to do really well next year. Its unfortunate that people are willing to take away credit so easily where it is due. It is something truly remarkable, doing what Mike did, and I think anyone who doesn't understand that, needs to take a step back and think about it.

Mike congratulations! I think you'll do great. Good luck next year!

Edited by debaterness88

people from MO are bamfs.

Katie and Sarah - you both are awesome and i wish you the best at Mostate and your tournaments at the high school level, respectively.

Jamie - thanks, man. That means alot.

To all Missourians, I will miss the environment of MO high school debate. Thanks for making it fun. Best of luck!

• Downvote 1

1st- I would like to thank Louie for coming out to help us as much as possible as well as judge for us.

2nd- Our successful NFL was not contingent on louie as helpful as he was- I give credit where credit is due but the one time louie had time to prep us out (against oak park riverforest) they switched affs.

3rd- I would encourage ANY of you to suffer the loss of a partner before NFLS and STILL go. Training your supplement partner from the ground up. Nobody at the National Tournament overcame what i did before debating. So to see our miniscule 9- round credit given to someone else is disheartening.

I dont know if i would of done better or worse had i still been debating with Garrett- But i did what i could with who i had.

So before another comment like the last insensitive one is posted take the time to consider how i felt during those rounds- Or how my partner Lauren (cash money) felt stepping into some very big shoes. And then compare that to where we ended up.

Congrats to Greenwood and all other Missouri accomplishments.

What I said was a joke. Louie's my boy. I didn't know what involvement he had with your and your partner or the rest of the BS squad when I wrote it. Now that he's back in Springfield, I still don't know his involvement. Chill out.

The NFL Released the final round scores for Congress today. With 31 points, 1 point more than the national champion, and the highest total in the room, I won the final round. Just passing on a bit of personal good news to the state of MO. Again, congratulations to everyone.

• Upvote 1

A couple more unofficial results...they recognize the top 14 in each main event, but we had a couple just shy of that I will mention: Thomas Fritts and Allyson Strickland from Glendale got 15th in PF, and Kevin Satzinger from Kickapoo got 16th in IX. Egotism maybe, but FYI nonetheless. Go MO, especially Omar...there were 4 Missourians in Top 30 IX, and we all channeled our extemp energy to Omar in sems and finals.