Sign in to follow this  
greenbluepurple

New Debate Program

Hi, I am the captian of a VERY recently formed debate/forensics team at my school. In fact, we have only been around for this year and I am one of just two people currently doing policy debate. We do have three more recruits for next year (yay!) but our team is still rather small. I have very little experience and I was wondering if anyone out there had some suggestions for recources to help us get our program up and running. I really want to keep debate at our school, but to do that we need to be sucessful. And besides, the more sucessful we are, the bigger our budget is :). If anyone has any recources, book suggestions, tips, ideas, etc that they think would help I would be glad to hear them!

• Upvote 1

Look around in the forums to help you. The Alternative Energy forum has a lot of discussion and links to articles about next year's topic. For books, we have a forum on critique literature. Use the search function if you need something specifically. People on cross-x.com and the entire debate community in general are very generous. That's why even small schools have been able to do well in debate because most of the recourses are avalible to everyone. If you have any specific questions, just ask.

It can be hard starting out a new program since you don't have anyone to learn from. I would suggest just reading some of the discussions people have and learning about it. Look at some of the virtual debates. That can give you a good picture of what to expect of debate, especially when you get out to debate on the national circuit (if you guys decide to go there). I would suggest looking at some debate videos too. YouTube has some, but there are other places. Here's a link to some lectures: http://debate.uvm.edu/policyvideo.html. Most people go to camp to hear lectures, but these are very comprehensive. I hope this helps. Good luck!

Hi, I am the captian of a VERY recently formed debate/forensics team at my school. In fact, we have only been around for this year and I am one of just two people currently doing policy debate. We do have three more recruits for next year (yay!) but our team is still rather small. I have very little experience and I was wondering if anyone out there had some suggestions for recources to help us get our program up and running. I really want to keep debate at our school, but to do that we need to be sucessful. And besides, the more sucessful we are, the bigger our budget is :). If anyone has any recources, book suggestions, tips, ideas, etc that they think would help I would be glad to hear them!

Congratulations on your decision to get a program started. I sent you a private message with some suggestions. Best of luck, it is a very, very wise and useful thing you are doing!!!

No, not the camp in August; the free online supportive services that DEBATE COLLEGE will begin offering as of Labor Day this year - and - I hope - long after I've gone on to that Big Rubbermaid Tub in the sky. PM me, or respond below, and let's talk:

sonofshasta1970@yahoo.com

• Downvote 1

Get involved. Go to as many local tournaments as you can, especially in the beginning of the year. Most importantly, listen to the your compeititiors and judges after the round. Reading the judges' RFD (reason for decision) can also help you with things that you can work on later. Also, you can get lots of tricks by looking over evidence and researching unfamiliar things after round. Camp also helps but it may be a little late/expensive this late in june to apply. Maybe next year?

Anyways,

Good luck

• Downvote 1

Do you have someone who would be willing to coach you? And also finding a teacher/sponsor from your school who would be willing to take you on field trips will be extremely important.

Actually, my partner and I have managed to get signed up for a camp, but I really don't know much about what we will be doing there, so any suggestions are still welcome. Thanks to everyone who responded, I will definately be using lots of your suggestions.

• Upvote 1

Actually, my partner and I have managed to get signed up for a camp, but I really don't know much about what we will be doing there, so any suggestions are still welcome. Thanks to everyone who responded, I will definitely be using lots of your suggestions.

I would suggest at camp taking notes, listen extremely well, and just being all around alertive. Maybe write down notes on how they teach you. This will help you be able to teach the other three that are not going to camp. Share the knowledge and keep every hand out they give you so you can pass onto the others.

Another suggestion is maybe get a day or two if you can where all of you guys just discuss debate and your plans on how to be a successful team next year. This is when you could update the others with your plethora of knowledge learned at camp.

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1

Actually, my partner and I have managed to get signed up for a camp, but I really don't know much about what we will be doing there, so any suggestions are still welcome. Thanks to everyone who responded, I will definately be using lots of your suggestions.

Which camp?

I looked up the name of your school through google and I see you are in Tacoma, Washington. I would highly recommend that you contact one of the three NFL chairs in Washington for some "local" advise.

In addition to knowing how to coach debate, you'll need some advise about how to run a program in your area. You'll need help with such issues as what the calendar of tournaments looks like, how much to expect in entry fees (and thus how much you'll need to fundraise), state rules regarding events or travel limitations or eligibility rules, etc., how to work around reluctant administrators, etc.

I'm not an expert in Washington geography, so here are the names of all three NFL chairs (the phone numbers are probably for the schools, so you may want to begin with the email addresses). You may also want to look around the NFL website, especially at the information on lesson plans and help for new coaches. The address is nflonline.org.

Inland Empire

Dr Roberta Rice

Central Valley HS

821 S Sullivan Rd

Spokane Valley, WA 99037-0000

Phone: (509) 228-5131

Fax: (509) 228-5109

rrice@cvsd.org

Puget Sound

Mr Steven Helman

Kamiak High School

10801 Harbour Pt Blvd

Mukilteo, WA 98275-0000

Phone: (425) 356-6620

Fax: (425) 356-6635

Helman835@cs.com

Western Washington

Mr. Andrew Buchan

Thomas Jefferson HS

4248 S 288th St

Auburn, WA 98001-0000

Phone: (253) 945-5648

Fax: (253) 945-5656

andrew@teambuchan.com

I'm sure these folks can help you understand Washington debate. You'll need some advice about what judges are looking for (progressive vs. traditional, etc.) If these chairs can't help you, I'm sure they will point you to some local folks who will. Plus, if Washington forensics is anything like forensics around here, other coaches would be willing to help set up scrimmages/practices and help you in a number of ways.

Edited by tpeters
  • Downvote 1

We're going to the Whitman Debate Institute in Walla Walla. Oh, and we do have a coach, but we have a good sized forensics team too and that takes lots of his time. He's very helpful but lots of the time we're on our own. Montypython, would brining a sound recorder to camp and recording seminars and such be a good idea? Or is that something I should stay away from?

We're going to the Whitman Debate Institute in Walla Walla. Oh, and we do have a coach, but we have a good sized forensics team too and that takes lots of his time. He's very helpful but lots of the time we're on our own. Montypython, would brining a sound recorder to camp and recording seminars and such be a good idea? Or is that something I should stay away from?

Yes, a digital recorder would be preferable. Probably something with an SD card slot or on board flash w/ usb connection would be best. I recomend taking notes though and getting as many powerpoints/handouts as possible from the instructors. Chances are that they are using them to teach you! These are sure fire ways to helping you team later, especially for people who didn't go to camp.

Edited by SequoyahDB8

Yes, a digital recorder would be preferable. Probably something with an SD card slot or on board falsh w/ usb connection would be best. I recomend taking notes though and getting as many powerpoints/handouts as possible from the instructors. Chances are that they are using them to teach you! These are sure fire ways to helping you team later, especially for people who didn't go to camp.

Chris has the right idea on the digital recorder if you do have one though be sure you get it to where you can actually hear the seminar going on. Maybe ask the instructors if you can put it up by them.

Another idea if they allow it would be to record it on a camcorder. This would help because you also get the visual aspect. I know that at the camps I've gone to they've written on a board numerous times to try to help show it. This means just listening is helpful but looking at the board helped even more.