Sign in to follow this  
t-money

Debate Movie on HBO

The team was West Georgia KT. The funeral was for Scott Phillips. I thought it was pretty funny

they claimed he was dead because he was academically ineligible for the NDT.

I've not seen all the debate movies listed. Certainly Listen to Me was a huge loser, and my kids get a kick out of it when I show it while scrambling to get first semester grades finished.

Listen to me is awesome if you embrace it as a cheesy, unintentionally hilarious 80s movie.

One thing I DID like about Listen to Me was 1) the debate was understandable and even humorous at times (and not in a parody-sort-of-way) and 2) it showed the other events we do (the semi-handicapped girl was an orator).

The Great Debaters showed the extensive research necessary (without showing them marching around with tubs most people use for Christmas decorations), AND they were articulate and persuasive.

And yes, the West Georgia team was funny, but it's not what I would consider representative of what we do. That's probably not the point the documentary producers were making, but it WAS the only exposure to debate lots of folks would get and it bore little relationship to what I try to teach my students.

Mike, you make a really good point about lawyers. I, for one, LOVE lawyer shows. And obviously, so do a great number of Americans, as evidenced by the popularity of such shows as Law and Order and Shark. If we can have a popular TV show about weekly football games, aka Friday Night Lights, surely we could have a show about coming of age and teenage angst in the backdrop of forensics. According to the Colorado High School Activities Association, more kids in Colorado compete in speech than in football, basketball and baseball combined. That would mean there are more people who could identify with going to speech tournaments than in playing football games.

Mike, you make a really good point about lawyers. I, for one, LOVE lawyer shows. And obviously, so do a great number of Americans, as evidenced by the popularity of such shows as Law and Order and Shark. If we can have a popular TV show about weekly football games, aka Friday Night Lights, surely we could have a show about coming of age and teenage angst in the backdrop of forensics. According to the Colorado High School Activities Association, more kids in Colorado compete in speech than in football, basketball and baseball combined. That would mean there are more people who could identify with going to speech tournaments than in playing football games.

This making my wall; it's better than ten "green boxes!" :)

i dont watch TV to identify with the characters. I watch TV to see awesome shit thats not realistic.

i dont watch TV to identify with the characters. I watch TV to see awesome shit thats not realistic.

Then watch Fox News. ;)

I like it. I think the only thing I didn't like is how the end actually makes debate look as if we persecute K debaters.. and that we're all inherently racist. I saw like 4 lab leaders from UTNIF last year though. :)

Ha, but it was good.

I don't like how the movie focused on cheaters.

Edited by Bruce Willis
Yeah, it's a joke...get over it.

It's great that a documentary about debate was on in prime time on a relatively major network. The movie did a pretty good job of representing the activity without poking fun or painting those that participate as nerds.

Having said that I have some problems with the movie... On a scale of 1-10, I'd give it a solid MEH.

I could go into more detail but the movie was kind of all over the place... it started off strong but kinda fizzled out at the end. Some of the most interesting points in the movie were tacked on at the end with text on the screen and not expanded on at all. Seemed like lazy film making.

** SPOILER ** ** SPOILER ** ** SPOILER **

Examples: Why was the Long Beach program shut down? They spent 3/4 of the movie on that team and then text on the bottom of the screen said one kid was kicked off the team and that the program was killed in the middle of the season... what?? seriously what?? why?? how??

Why not tell us more about the Greenhill/HP kid's TOC victory, no reaction interview, no footage of him from the 2006 season? No update on him while following the Long Beach team? He was portrayed early on as the golden boy and went on to EVENTUALLY WIN THE TOC but then was forgotten about until the last 2 minutes. The film maker was given a huge gift but totally squandered it... it's like if one of the Hoop Dreams kids went on to be the next Jordan.

** END SPOILER **

quick comment about the great debaters

did it seem to anyone else like Harvard won?

based on what little we saw of the debate, I'm pretty sure I would have voted for them on the flow;

the other team just didn't articulate answers to the arguments and used emotional appeals to try to overcome their generalizations

It's great that a documentary about debate was on in prime time on a relatively major network. The movie did a pretty good job of representing the activity without poking fun or painting those that participate as nerds.

Having said that I have some problems with the movie... On a scale of 1-10, I'd give it a solid MEH.

I could go into more detail but the movie was kind of all over the place... it started off strong but kinda fizzled out at the end. Some of the most interesting points in the movie were tacked on at the end with text on the screen and not expanded on at all. Seemed like lazy film making.

** SPOILER ** ** SPOILER ** ** SPOILER **

Examples: Why was the Long Beach program shut down? They spent 3/4 of the movie on that team and then text on the bottom of the screen said one kid was kicked off the team and that the program was killed in the middle of the season... what?? seriously what?? why?? how??

Why not tell us more about the Greenhill/HP kid's TOC victory, no reaction interview, no footage of him from the 2006 season? No update on him while following the Long Beach team? He was portrayed early on as the golden boy and went on to EVENTUALLY WIN THE TOC but then was forgotten about until the last 2 minutes. The film maker was given a huge gift but totally squandered it... it's like if one of the Hoop Dreams kids went on to be the next Jordan.

** END SPOILER **

It seemed like the focus of the film wasn't the end of the careers of the debaters there, but to show just what their lives are like in the process. That being said, the 'interesting points tacked on at the end' really weren't all that relevant. But I guess this depends on the individual - seems like creative film-making to me.

oh ya I caught Resolved entirely unintentionally. I thought it was pretty good... The explanation of the K/the Project was pretty decent for a commonperson documentary, IMO. I thought it was a relatively objective representation of the conflict over the Project...

Ya... conclusions could have been better...