LordAuch

Alternative Energy Camp FTP

I'll be hosting and organizing a camp trading system through FTP.

• We will be accepting one person uploading one camp, on a first-come first-serve basis.
  • Upload your camp to
    • HOST: evtrade.dreamhosters.com
    • USER: evupload
    • PASSWORD: upload

[*]If you need help uploading your camp through FTP, there is a guide located HERE

[*]If you would prefer, I will also accept MediaFire or other file hosting links for your camp, but you will have to use FTP to get other camp files.

[*]If a camp is incomplete (You can check HERE) then anyone who uploads the missing files will also get access.

[*]Once you have uploaded your camp, send me a PM with your email and what camp you uploaded, or send an email to myevidence [AT] gmail [DOT] com with your Cross-X username and what camp you uploaded.

[*]Those who successfully complete all steps will be given a password for downloading everyone else's camp files, and will be added to a emailing list that will send out password updates and will update you on what camps have been uploaded.

Questions, comments, and concerns can be posted in this thread, sent via PM, or emailed to myevidence [AT] gmail [DOT] com.

The camps that we currently have are

• Cameron
  • CDI
  • CNDI
  • DDW
  • ENDI- Including the Hays Lab Supplement
  • GDI
  • JDI- 2&3 Week
  • KNDI- 2/3/Fellows
  • LMDIT
  • Michigan 7-Week- Wave 1
  • MSDI
  • Samford
  • SDI
  • SDSU
  • UNT

Edited by Fels

Anyone going to camp who wants a reliable way to access the ev from other camps should get on board with this guy, he knows what he's going.

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1

Based on what I saw last year, some camps took over a month from when they were uploaded to the FTP before they were posted in the free camps thread. The FTP allows faster access to evidence. Some users of the FTP actually ended up posting some camps to the free camps thread. The FTP helps the free evidence movement. Some camps tend to be tougher to find someone who will volunteer their evidence for free (Z’s, 7-Week, DDI, Miami 5), but the FTP receives that evidence within a couple of days of the camp ending. The FTP was also accessible all year long, without the worries of expiring links etc. which is a security that some people enjoy.

• Downvote 1

I'm sorry, but wouldn't the lack of an FTP lead to faster community uploads?

Ant

I don't think that is likely. Beyond that I can't think of any reason why not having an FTP would lead to faster community uploads, some camps simply don't attract the "open source" type personalities, or at least didn't in the last two years. I do think that each year debaters are becoming more open to sharing ev, but based on what I saw last year I don't think there are enough people embracing the free-camps attitude for a quick and fast free ev thread. Eventually would a free thread have all of the camps? Probably, but I doubt it'd be as fast as with the FTP.

wow, i haven't ever seen this much backlash from the community about someone being generous enough to do this sort of thing.

It's an okay idea, but it's not really that generous. Only a couple dozen people actually will get access to that evidence.

The same effect could be achieved by simply uploading the files to Mediafire and posting the links on the Camp Evidence thread...and it would help the thousands of users that rely on this site for access to camp evidence.

Just saying. Good idea for those who have the opportunity to participate, but it doesn't affect people who don't have a fast enough mouse finger to be the first to post the DDI files.

It's an okay idea, but it's not really that generous. Only a couple dozen people actually will get access to that evidence.

The same effect could be achieved by simply uploading the files to Mediafire and posting the links on the Camp Evidence thread...and it would help the thousands of users that rely on this site for access to camp evidence.

Just saying. Good idea for those who have the opportunity to participate, but it doesn't affect people who don't have a fast enough mouse finger to be the first to post the DDI files.

I would love to discuss whether an FTP is good or bad, but if you're going to ignore the arguments that I'm making than this will never evolve beyond repetition.

I think you're wrong. This might be a perspective shaped by the case in your region but I think the national debate community has made dramatic shifts to openess. The now-common cite wikis were introduced just two years ago. The NDCA put up nearly every camp file out for free last year but just three-four years ago it was very difficult for all but the most connected cross-x users to get evidence from camps they didn't attend. (I think in a few years we're likely to have a cite for community backfiles where any school can contribute answers to the generic arguments.)

You might be right that there's an incentive for some to upload the hour they get their evidence, so yeah, I'll support this. But I was really hoping we wouldn't need one this year.

My region is actually very open. DVDs full of camp ev are sent out to each school at the beginning of the year, we shared updates for CFLs, and a team that didn't qual to NFLs cut updates for those of us who did.

Cite wikis are not as prevalent or updated in high school as they are in college, and there are a lot of instances where scouting is in place over proper cites. Although I will yield that this is a sign of a general open movement.

The NDCA's ev give-away may be the perfect solution. They have the clout and diplomatic means as an organization to work with other organizations. It removes the human greed factor that I see as still present and necessitating an FTP.

The community backfiles project is one that I'm actually working behind-the-scenes to create. I'm trying to secure as many camp backfiles and even some school's backfiles as possible, and trying to work out the logistics of such a system.

Thank you for supporting this even though you disagree. That's an uncommon gesture that is welcome in today's usual hostile world.

I get the feeling more stuff would be uploaded if this thread didn't keep getting buried. this ftp is awesome though--it still has camps not in the free thread

this is a really dumb way to go about file sharing. if only the first people who post the camp evidence are the only ones to get access then it really isnt a very generous way of going about things. everything is a lot better if people just post it in the free evidence trading thread. forget about this junk

• Downvote 1

hey cody, you're a dumb piece of s**t. this is old school from when people couldn't get evidence at the drop of a hat. get the hell outta here if you don't like it, ftp is the joint.

• Downvote 2

Guest svfrey

i think i may have come up with a sort-of compromise

the people who post their evidence and get access to the FTP should immediately take all the evidence that is currently on the server and put it on the "free camp files thread" for alt energy. that way, the files get there faster than normal, and also it avoids the exclusivity of the FTP.

happy now?

(oh, and the "taking-evidence-from-the-FTP-and-putting-it-onto-the-campfiles-thread" action should be ongoing. as soon as the last person who posts their camp's evidence onto the FTP posts the evidence, someone should transfer it to the thread, and then if you want, you can shut the FTP down, since there will be virtually no need for it.

The advantage to FTP is that the files don't expire. I don't know about mediafire, but for sendspace and some other websites the files get deleted after some time. Therefore, if I wanted to, I would never have to download everything and instead I could just download one file whenever I needed it.

It would be cooler if the FTP was just public, the only problem is then there is no incentive for people to upload the camp -- however, the same scenario exists with the free camp ev thread.

I don't know. I am apart of a small squad and I rely on camp evidence when preparing most of my blocks and files. Without then, I can't imagine my August/September prep being successful.