JLB

New Coaches - Old Coaches

I know that there are some signficant coaching changes in the south for next year, what can you confirm?

At Calhoun, Ed Williams has retired from debate (at least for now), and I will be coaching the debate teams again (as I did 2003-2005). We have retained Jim Schultz (West Georgia Univ) as our assistant coach. Julie Owens Leggett (CHS '83 - debate and IEs under Sandra W. Silvers) is the new forensics coach at Calhoun, and she will be in charge of Calhoun's new IE team.

• Downvote 1

Mike Deleonardo, the Director of Debate at Jupiter High School since 1995 will be handing things over to assistant coaches Kristy Taylor (formerly of Lincoln Park Academy/Tampa Jesuit) and Glen Powell (formerly of Bak Middle School of the arts), to become the schools athletic director.

Who is taking over at Milton?

John Anderson the head coach at Cypress Bay High School will be leaving to coach at West Broward high next year. Our new coach is Andrew Musgrave who debated in Tampa during high school.

Beth McMahon is leaving Milton and is moving to Decatur (hopefully to start a debate team)

This may be a silly question, but I know that there are multiple schools in Decatur. . . you do mean Decatur High School, right?

Beth McMahon is leaving Milton and is moving to Decatur (hopefully to start a debate team)

Are there any coaches left at Milton?

Jeremy is the coach at Milton

And Yes, Decatur High School

O.K. I just thought that he was leaving as well.

Well Wheeler will have a new novice coach next year and we are pretty sure we found the person but still going through the interview process...

Well Wheeler will have a new novice coach next year and we are pretty sure we found the person but still going through the interview process...

Are you still working with the JV and varsity?

So far it looks like I will be the Varsity coach and we arent going to have jv!?! But the reason all of this is, is because I have a lot going on right now in my life and will not be able to make it to the school to teach but once in a blue moon. I have a bar opening up july the 4th in Myrtle Beach, I have a full time job <actually i work about 53-55 hours on average> , still go to school full time, and its summer meaning my real estate company is finally selling some condos at the beach...Long story short i really enjoy working with kids and the varsity wants me to stay around so i agreed to it...

So far it looks like I will be the Varsity coach and we arent going to have jv!?! But the reason all of this is, is because I have a lot going on right now in my life and will not be able to make it to the school to teach but once in a blue moon. I have a bar opening up july the 4th in Myrtle Beach, I have a full time job <actually i work about 53-55 hours on average> , still go to school full time, and its summer meaning my real estate company is finally selling some condos at the beach...Long story short i really enjoy working with kids and the varsity wants me to stay around so i agreed to it...

Wait a minute...you own a real estate company/are opening a bar?

Tom Burrows: Capitalist Hero

haha yes I do, and hero I am not but thanks anyway Kunzelman... Although my real estate company is not a typical one we only buy and sell condos on the beach...we buy them after storms hit and people have collected their insurance money for practically nothing and fix them up then sell them <its called flipping for those who didnt know> and it has been semi-successful esp. this year...

Tom Burrows, contributing to the collapse of the biosphere at the hands of capitalist acquisition one condo at a time ;)

Tom Burrows, contributing to the collapse of the biosphere at the hands of capitalist acquisition one condo at a time ;)

this may in fact be true, but while you hippies sit around and wait for change i am going to embrace the system a little while and make me some money...Plus the more money i make the more tax money the govt gets, and can give to poor people right?

haha yes I do, and hero I am not but thanks anyway Kunzelman... Although my real estate company is not a typical one we only buy and sell condos on the beach...we buy them after storms hit and people have collected their insurance money for practically nothing and fix them up then sell them <its called flipping for those who didnt know> and it has been semi-successful esp. this year...

Tom Burrows = Richard C. Davis

I'll be waiting to see you come on with your own cable show. :)

idk about all of that, im not much for TV...and haha the referance to him is quite funny but i am no where near that level of baller status :)

idk about all of that, im not much for TV...and haha the referance to him is quite funny but i am no where near that level of baller status :)

Come now, Tom. This isn't the time for modesty!

Come now, Tom. This isn't the time for modesty!

haha modesty isnt something I have been accussed of too much in the past, but in all honesty I would come no where close in the last 4 years to what that guy does in a month. I mean Im here in carrollton and I have to drive back to MB to do this stuff and I only goa couple of times a year so that limits me pretty bad...

• Upvote 1

This next year I will be teaching and coaching full-time at Marist. Mrs. Mistretta will also be traveling with the team as she has time available.

Jeremy Speigel is remaining at Milton to the best of my knowledge.

---

Cheryl Stanga

So this may seem like a bit of a stupid question, but where exactly does one find a coach for debate? Our team is currently run by school faculty, but I'd like to get someone with actual debate experience. I live in Gwinnett County (about a half hour from Emory Univ), so any help would be appreciated.

So this may seem like a bit of a stupid question, but where exactly does one find a coach for debate? Our team is currently run by school faculty, but I'd like to get someone with actual debate experience. I live in Gwinnett County (about a half hour from Emory Univ), so any help would be appreciated.

my sugg. would be to find out who is around a lot and has any connections on the circuit and try to hire them... This being you need to decide how much you are willing to pay this person and what you want their requirements to be <ie do they just coach at tournies, or during the week for a day or two as well...also do they cut evidence, how much and are they required to cut updates at tournies...how many tournies they would get to attend/ be required...>

My two cents worth. . . I wouldn't do anything without the permission/blessing of those who are currently serving as coaches and/or the school's administration. Given that they are the people who enable to students to go to tournaments and such, there might be something to be said for not coming across as having the attitude, "Because you don't know what you're doing, I'm going behind your back to find someone who does."