Nevr4you4getit

Individuals with interesting lives--- any reccomendations?

For one of my college classes I'm taking this summer I'm supposed to take a person and apply different personality theories and analyze them, but first I have to read an autobiography/biography about them.

I don't want somebody whose either (a) serial killer (B) has multiple personalities or ©schizophernia... after weeding those people out are there any individuals who have interesting lives that you'd reccomend?

I was kinda leaning towards philosophers/famous people in history if thats any help whatsoever.

Edited by Nevr4you4getit

A lot of scientists had philosophical musings... its always interesting to read about how scientists tried to resolve their conflicts with their belief structure (whether its religion or philosophy)

For ease of reseach:

For philosophers, you might try a PM to TheScuSpeaks and/or Dan, etc. et al., directly;

For American/world political figues and artistic celebrities, you might try a PM to Mr. Shuman or Ms. Peters, etc. et al., directly; and,

For a giggle - you might try me at:

sonofshasta1970@yahoo.com

Edited by topspeaker70

Another avenue could be people who have overcome adversity and figuring out what kept them going. Some ideas include politics (Nelson Mandela, Martin Luther King Jr., Ghandhi, Aung San Suu Kyi), disability/injury/illness (Lance Armstrong, Stephen Hawking), or entrepenuers (Asa Candler, Thomas Edison)...

• Downvote 1

I really enjoyed The Lives of Michel Foucault by David Macey

http://www.amazon.com/Lives-Michel-Foucault-David-Macey/dp/0679757929/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&s=books&qid=1212607422&sr=8-1

Really helped a lot with Foucault, I read it my sophomore year of college? Something like that.

But for a philosopher with a crazy life, crazy ideas, and just plain crazy, can't beat Georges Bataille.

and this is the exceptional biography on Bataille http://www.amazon.com/Georges-Bataille-Intellectual-Michel-Surya/dp/1859848222/ref=sr_1_7?ie=UTF8&s=books&qid=1212607532&sr=1-7

I can give some other suggestions if you are curious.

• Upvote 1

What kind of famous person would you like to do? Do you want to study a famous "good guy" or a famous "bad guy"? A famous "over-achiever"? A famous bumbler?

Instead of looking at heroic figures (which could be fascinating), you might want to look at less-than-heroic individuals who seem to have really screwed up lives.

The tabloids and the Internet should provide you with ample material for a study of Paris Hilton, Lindsay Lohan, Britney Spears, etc. They aren't serial killers and they haven't claimed any mental illness, but they have completely messed up their lives and relationships.

Some literary figures that might provide an interesting study would include Edgar Allen Poe, F. Scott Fitzgerald, perhaps even Jack Kerouac (sp?).

You could also look at siblings of famous people. The first one that comes to mind is Billy Carter, younger brother of Jimmy Carter, and rather odd bird. Jamie Lyn Spears, living in the shadow of Britney, might be interesting. Even Senator Edward Kennedy, who inherited a great deal of expectations held for his father and two older brothers, could be interesting.

• Downvote 1

if you're looking for someone relevent to current events, obama certainly has an interesting background/personality

Thanks everyone for their suggestions, I really appreciated them and lightly looked into all of them but I think I'm going with either Bataille or Foucault.

• Upvote 1

if you're looking for someone relevent to current events, obama certainly has an interesting background/personality

Yes Obama's autobiography was amazing. I definitely recommend you read it.

Thanks everyone for their suggestions, I really appreciated them and lightly looked into all of them but I think I'm going with either Bataille or Foucault.

Nietzsche would be interesting given how his personality dealt with syphilis. That, and I guess if there is a punk rock genre of philosophy, Nietzsche would be the Ramones or something.