governments_kill

PA Debate

Attention all southern PA schools,

I am hereby declaring my services for use. I just finished debating last year and i'd be glad to help out a school in the area. My name is Mike Mangels, and if there are any schools in the area that would like a policy debate coach just let me know. My contact information is as follows:

Phone #:443-690-2806

E-mail:governmentskill@hotmail.com

I think that would qualify as sufficient. If anyone has any questions just email me. Come on people i'm bored out here in York. There's nothing to do.

Mangels,

i am already covering policy... but perk is desperate for a congress judge for this weekend at pennsbury. interested? i dont know what the payrate is... but its not too shabby...

contact the coach of perkiomen directly

Gary Heidt

garth@nni.com

and i am sure that Jeff would love to have you in the policy pool so I am sure that Mr Medoff can kick you out of Congress and ahve you in policy anyways...

isnt that right jeff?

Mike and I have spoken, there are two problems: I can't get him down here, and have extra policy judges. Of course if someone else wants to pay him, I'd gladly put him in the pool.

well i was suggesting that Perk pay him as a Perk judge officially covering congress and you, the tab, decide he is better off in policy? Thus Perk fulfills its judging obligations and you get a good policy judge? And I am sure there are dozens of good congress judges standing around at a tournament in Philly... so the loss of Mangels from the Congress judge pool wouldnt be a shocker...

But thats what I was suggesting...

I dont know how the transportation issue works... I would hafto speak directly with Mike about that...

well i was suggesting that Perk pay him as a Perk judge officially covering congress and you, the tab, decide he is better off in policy? Thus Perk fulfills its judging obligations and you get a good policy judge? And I am sure there are dozens of good congress judges standing around at a tournament in Philly... so the loss of Mangels from the Congress judge pool wouldnt be a shocker...

But thats what I was suggesting...

I dont know how the transportation issue works... I would hafto speak directly with Mike about that...

there is a VERY good chance we need to hire our third judge so...

Dammit Michael! Dont be swinging your fat wallet around here no more! I approached Mangels first... :)

Edit: had a GREAT idea. Perk hires Mangels. Mangels gets responsibilities traded with Ben. Ben judges Congress. and Mangels judges policy.

it works for me!

or they could hire him and not Ben - then he will not get paid, his mug, and have to judge for La Salle on Friday

Edit: had a GREAT idea. Perk hires Mangels. Mangels gets responsibilities traded with Ben. Ben judges Congress. and Mangels judges policy.

I don't even know what congress is! And the fact that I think Brett is an arrogant idiot should easily qualify me as a good judge.

or they could hire him and not Ben - then he will not get paid, his mug, and have to judge for La Salle on Friday

I was already planning on coming anyway even if I didn't get paid. Plus, I'm most likely going to be a La Salle judge either friday or saturday. Guess it depends what day Jon can judge since I know Paul is judging for La Salle on friday.

And I await your failure at the tournament :P I'll be in awe if you get as far as Paul and I did last year. You're unworthy of a mug!

If Mangels shows in any capacity he will be entered as a policy judge. Ankur, what are you covering for Perk, since I assume you are not actually bringing CX teams.

Michael, if you need to hire your third judge that is not a problem, but I do need to know how many teams you are bringing (as of last I checked we didn't have your registration yet).

here it is

NFA

1. Josh Gizarelli/George Kiamos

2. Komal Patel/ Arianna Koudounas

3. Neil Patel/Kevin Cunane

4. Sean Kelleher/ Asadur Chowdhury

5. Rob Zambito/Andrew Berg

6. Lucia Moreno/Ben Weiss

there is another debater who wants to go-could we have a 7th team if needed?

cheers,MB

here it is

NFA

1. Josh Gizarelli/George Kiamos

2. Komal Patel/ Arianna Koudounas

3. Neil Patel/Kevin Cunane

4. Sean Kelleher/ Asadur Chowdhury

5. Rob Zambito/Andrew Berg

6. Lucia Moreno/Ben Weiss

there is another debater who wants to go-could we have a 7th team if needed?

cheers,MB

Judges?

About the 7th team, I think it would be a little NFA overload on the pool of teams. You could toss him in LD or impromptu or Congress maybe?

Conestoga:

Sinhababu/Tao (probably running NEO: The One.....case that will annoy)

plus a debater slumming in radio announcing

Judge: Squirrelly McGee (me)

NFA JUDGES

1.Chris Sorrentino ex-NFA debater

2. MB (me)

3. Amanda Reed-ex-NFA debater and TOC qualifier

Kaz is available for outrounds

La Salle:

Fisher/Manero

DiIulio/Kraeher

McCarrick/McCabe

Judging on Friday is Paul and Ben and Saturday is Jon Veit and Ray Shay

I don't want to speak too soon, but it looks like the judging pool is going to be pretty decent. Hey Jeff, maybe next year there may be enough judges to hand out some pref sheets. I know you are slammed, but if you have a chance to list the teams and the judges that would be sweet, if not I guess we will find out soon enough.

K. Hanson

No time to list, but the judge pool is pretty good, and great by PA standards. I wish the pool of teams was bigger (22), but MD and VA will be arranging their schedules to clear this weekend next year. So maybe we can do one or two strikes next year.

Jeff,

BTW, my offer to run a novice portion of the tournament of the tournament next year still stands. We would have brought four more teams this year. Plus all you have to do is have the space and I would take care of the rest.

See everyone on Friday!

BTW, if anyone cares Jenkintown is running Sudan with kritical advantages.

Sarah if you reading this could you email me at kendog_3@hotmail.com? I have some questions about your Aff.

K. Hanson

Even if a full novice division is not something that you would be interested. It may be possible to have a novice breakout division as they do in college. The format can be the same as outrounds for the Varsity division. You have all the teams in one pool. You have coaches note teams they enter who are eligible for this (two members meeting novice definitions for PHSSL or PCFL). Then you clear the top 8 novice teams and have a quarterfinal out. I think makes for better competition from a Novice perspectives. Also some novice teams may clear in varsity, dont laugh i have seen weirder things in PA. Anyway I think it could work and doesnt add extra burdens on you as a tab room facilitator. I think this option atleast gives coaches the ability to say, "hey my team might not be good enough to clear in varsity, but they compete, and this way they can still win some hardware and get something out of it.

Manuel

Even if a full novice division is not something that you would be interested. It may be possible to have a novice breakout division as they do in college. The format can be the same as outrounds for the Varsity division. You have all the teams in one pool. You have coaches note teams they enter who are eligible for this (two members meeting novice definitions for PHSSL or PCFL). Then you clear the top 8 novice teams and have a quarterfinal out. I think makes for better competition from a Novice perspectives. Also some novice teams may clear in varsity, dont laugh i have seen weirder things in PA. Anyway I think it could work and doesnt add extra burdens on you as a tab room facilitator. I think this option atleast gives coaches the ability to say, "hey my team might not be good enough to clear in varsity, but they compete, and this way they can still win some hardware and get something out of it.

Manuel

yes!

Not a bad idea at all, but with 22 teams it is kind of hard to do. If there were 35+ teams it would make it a more desirable tourney to attend and they way I see it is if that is something scheduled in then more teams would attend. I would have brought 4 or 5 more teams and I am sure other progems would have done the same thing. Wow, a novice breakout in PA. This could be the start of a beautiful, beautiful thing.

K. Hanson

Not a bad idea at all, but with 22 teams it is kind of hard to do. If there were 35+ teams it would make it a more desirable tourney to attend and they way I see it is if that is something scheduled in then more teams would attend. I would have brought 4 or 5 more teams and I am sure other progems would have done the same thing. Wow, a novice breakout in PA. This could be the start of a beautiful, beautiful thing.

K. Hanson

I agree....but PA types may be resistent to a breakout. We all know how resistant to change this area can be. Would be a welcome addition though. It would double our entry.....

Shawn