Sign in to follow this  
SP 101

Writing perfomance/irony aff's

How do you write performance/irony aff's?

I want to know everything from the 1ac structure to the framework to common things to block for.

For an irony aff what I've usually seen is a normal straight up affirmative, except the evidence is "ironical" or "satirical" in nature. For example, the ban masturbation aff was a popular irony aff a few years ago. Then, for the last minute or two you read evidence of a framework which says like irony and satire is the best way to break down the state or to convey a message.

A performance aff is usually 8 minutes of a "performance", such as rapping, playing music, speaking in a dialect, reading a play, etc. and then the 2AC is a framework where you make the claim that you represent the African population the best or that you break down the state-based IR mandated by the resolution that is bad.

http://ceda-ndt.uchicago.edu/hellaprep/banMaff.pdf

GDI put out a performance aff. I think it was CNDI that put out a Heart of Darkness 1ac. You can check those out. It is best to learn about different styles of debate through example.