Sign in to follow this  
FlyingWithMagic

Sudan- Topical or Not?

yes it is very topical

just win the counter interp debate when you hit the "sweet 16" topicality arguement which wont be hard and plus i thought they made sudan a PKO during the summer...

Im not sure, but i think there may already be a pko in sudan. Lots of Sudan plan texts have said that they "send troops to the darfur region of sudan and disarm the Janjaweed". This supports the existing PKO. Even though it isnt a traditional PKO, i think it has been labeled one by the UN.

It is topical. If you use a multilateral effort with the U.N. and african union then you are topical. Use african union as enforcement. This prevents sending U.S. and U.N. troops to Sudan. Also the neg will say you are going through the A.U. but the A.U. said that they will follow U.N. peacekeeping laws in Sudan. Also, they do not have a pko there and the new peace accord signed in January 2005 does not even apply to darfur. The genocide is still going on there and everyone is waiting on the U.S. to act. So Sudan is a very legitmate case and if you can block those attacks then you should be able to win.

On June 21, 04 they passed a pko for Sudan(something like that). If you seed in military support, you can use sending in miliary during a conflict as a pko. You can also say that just because it is not implamented doesn't mean that is not a pko. You do not have to create so you are topical being that the un has passed a pko for it.

maybe this will help. i ran this case for a while this year.

there is not a United Nations peacekeeping operation in the Sudan. there is a UN political mission under the DPKO, but this is not a pko. whether or not the africa union is there now seems to me to be pretty much irrelevant to whether or not its a UN operation. this aff is not topical-there really is not a good,non-arbitrary, counter interp which doesnt justify making a new pko pretty much any place. i'd stick to one (or all) of the current 16...

only one team this entire year realized Sudan wasn't one of the 16 pkos. one team, came awfully close to that, saying its not one of the 16, but they didn't have a list, and they decided to define it as a noncombat military operation with consent of all major beligerent parties. we won with a we meet.

"The United Nations Mission in Afghanistan (UNAMA) and the United Nations Advance Mission in Sudan (UNAMIS), although United Nations political missions, are directed and supported by the Department of Peacekeeping Operations."

From the DPKO website accessed today. UNAMIS is a peacebuilding mission, NOT a peackeeping operation. Allowing the aff to support things other than peacekeeping would allow them to create a pko anywhere there is conflict, justifying tons of unpredictable cases. There really is no offensive reason why you should be allowed to support something other than the official 16 PKOs.

Yes, it is under the DPKO, but the resolution calls for increasing support of UN peacekeeping operations, NOT increasing support of the DPKO. predictability is irrelevant - it's what you justify.

There is a un advanced mission in Sudan but no official pko. Just argue we meet and a counter definition such as anything under dpko. Its easy to win plus they usually don't go for it anyway.

It's not topical. You will lose a limits debate every round.

Justifying a peacekeeping operation in Sudna is the same as justifying a peacekeeping operation somewhere else where there is not a peacekeeping operation (i.e. UTNIF's Invade America Aff)

Sign in to follow this