hansonjb

Whitman HS Tournament 2008, Oct 30-Nov 1

Having attended this tournament for years as a competitor (where i always did terrible) and now as a judge i can honestly say this is the finest ran hs tournament i've ever been to. anyone that can get themselves in walla walla should enter.

bump. policy novice case list announced.

All Affirmative Novice Division Policy Debate Teams are required to present a case that fits one of the following four affirmatives:

* Nuclear power: increase the incentives for nuclear power.

* Alternative fuel vehicles: increase the incentives for alternative fuel vehicles.

* Solar: increase the production tax credit for solar energy.

* Cap and Trade: require a reduction in CO2 production substantially below 1990 levels through a system of tradable permits.

Counterplans and kritiks are not allowed in novice.

Great tournament. Great time management.

Also, if any Idaho State guys are randomly going to this tournament, I'm willing to chip in gas to drop me off in Mountain Home on the way. :|

I know a little:

Gig Harbor BC is 5-1

Sam Barlow is 6-0

Mercer AP I think is 5-1

Mercer R? 4-2

There is a Boise team that is 4-2 or 5-1

Partial Ocs tomorrow morning

The competition is pretty weak this year. Probably the easiest of them all to get a bid.

In response to the dumbass who called me rude via rep -- it isn't rude, it is fact. There is no gulliver, Dak doesn't has a new partner (no?), Holy Names graduated (no?) -- the competition is a lot easier. Look at the people who broke and look at their records last year. Seriously.

Edited by Audit
  • Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1

Mead defeated Merer R? in octas, everyone else advanced without debating.

I don't have the exact codes but quarters is:

1. Sam Barlow vs. Mead

2. Mercer AP vs. Rocky Mountain HS

3. Timberline vs. St. Georges

4. Gig Harbor BC vs. Boise MN

The competition is pretty weak this year. Probably the easiest of them all to get a bid.

In response to the dumbass who called me rude via rep -- it isn't rude, it is fact. There is no gulliver, Dak doesn't has a new partner (no?), Holy Names graduated (no?) -- the competition is a lot easier. Look at the people who broke and look at their records last year. Seriously.

I diddnt leave you the rep but i am just pointing out that comments like this are just a reason to start ridiculous internet rivalries. I thought the competition was good and I had a lot fun and good debates at Whitman.

Congratulations to all of the teams in outrounds for a great showing at the tournament and especially Boise on the bid!

Hope to see you all soon

There is no gulliver, Dak doesn't has a new partner (no?), Holy Names graduated (no?) -- the competition is a lot easier. Look at the people who broke and look at their records last year. Seriously.

By that reasoning, you'll never be as good as the third best JV team on your squad from your novice year. Debaters improve from year to year. Just because no one made the trip from Gulliver, and Paul graduated does not mean that Mercer and Boise didn't have to outlast a large, well prepared field over three days. Comparing this year's to last year's competition is the same form of mental masturbation that comparing the 1991 Washington Huskies to the 2004 USC Trojans. There is simply no way to objectively know who faced the tougher competition. What we can know is that winning is winning, and doing it at a major event is always an achievment.

• Upvote 1

Octafinals

Mead ColesMa def. Mercer Island RoweGhods (2-1, Todd Moore*, Sean Harris, Spencer Janyk)

Everyone else Byed through

Quarterfinals

Mercer Island Alcantara-Permut def. Rocky Mountain (2-1 Spencer Janyk*, Jon Riley, Seth Vick)

*St. Georges def. Timberline

*Sam Barlow def. Mead

*Boise def. Gig Harbor

Semifinals

Boise def. Sam Barlow

Mercer Island Alcantara-Permut def. St. Georges LeducWright (3-0, Brian Cole, Lewis Silver, Jon Riley)

Finals

Mercer Island Alcantara-Permut def. Boise (2-1, Daniel Straus*, Allison Humble, Alex Zende)

not sure that the quarters are 100 percent correct

Edited by Guam
  • Upvote 1

Octafinals

Mead ColesMa def. Mercer Island RoweGhods (2-1, Todd Moore*, Sean Harris, Spencer Janyk)

Everyone else Byed through

Quarterfinals

Mercer Island Alcantara-Permut def. Rocky Mountain (2-1 Spencer Janyk*, Jon Riley, Seth Vick)

*St. Georges def. Timberline

*Sam Barlow def. Mead

*Boise def. Gig Harbor

Semifinals

Boise def. Sam Barlow

Mercer Island Alcantara-Permut def. St. Georges LeducWright (3-0, Brian Cole, Lewis Silver, Jon Riley)

Finals

Mercer Island Alcantara-Permut def. Boise (2-1, Daniel Straus*, Allison Humble, Alex Zende)

not sure that the quarters are 100 percent correct

Pretty sure they are