Synergy

Signup Thread: Post here to get in on the action!

This thread is for all issues dealing with organizing rounds.

Rules

1. The team or debater initiating the challenge must PM (preferably three) judges and receive agreements prior to posting the thread. The first post must contain the resolution, sides, judges, and any amendments to the standard rules.

2. Please have all judges set before you start the round. You can select specific judges by sending them a PM, or you can post a request in your thread for volunteer judges.

3. Constructives are approximately 2000 words followed by a cross-x and rebuttals are 1200 words. Research during the round is permitted. Here are some tips for word count and post formating.

4. Speeches are expected within two to three days, and please announce if you need an excessive delay. Moderators will declare debates dead after two weeks of inactivity, and the names of the quiters will be posted and have a harder time initiating future debates.

5. Panels of judges should PM their RFDs to one designated judge or outside volunteer, who is charged with announcing the decision and updating the Wiki with the decision. Observers should not post in the thread prior to the 2AR.

Edited by aburo
The truency list isn't applicable anymore. Also the wiki is gone.

WIKI UPDATED

(changes from past statistics are in parenthesis)

45 rounds (+9)

23 finished

7 dead

15 ongoing

risk of finish: 77% (+5)

8 aff

15 neg

neg bias: 65% (+2)

neg bias is still ridiculous, but it's good to see more finished rounds!

That's kind of odd. After the first couple of debates, I expected massive aff bias to continue, but apparently it's swung the other way. Any thoughts as to why?

• Upvote 1

I DID have OS issues but i finally have at least a stable OS to be able to save cards/create a speech. im actually finishing up the 1NC now before i post it :)

and, i don't know what rounds outside of cliffords you're talking about, but most of them have actually been in-depth and good (tennisguy, aljadizadrdkjfkeism, etc. etc.) I've had a few different rounds that have turned out very well.

• Upvote 4
  • Downvote 8

The team of The Nuclear Express / Victory of the People would like to issue an open challenge to any other debate team on the site.

We're interested in having a virtual debate the way the process was originally envisioned, with strict enforcement of the rules, particularly of the time requirements. We're open to debating either position (don't disclose preference for side, we'll have a judge flip a coin) on either the current high school or current college topic listed below.

Any team interested in competing should send me a private message with the name of both competitors and a resolution preference. If I get a sufficient amount of responses from teams, I'm open to turning this into a tournament.

Similarly, anyone interested in judging (and capable of enforcing the rules) should send their qualifications via PM. We'll be somewhat picky with judges, especially if this turns into an actual tournament.

TNE

Resolved: The United States federal government should substantially increase social services for persons living in poverty in the United States.

OR

Resolved: The United States federal government should substantially reduce the size of its nuclear weapons arsenal, and / or substantially reduce and restrict the role and / or missions of its nuclear weapons arsenal.

Quick Edit: No mediafire; speeches should be posted directly in the thread.

Edited by The Nuclear Express

good luck with this. i tried this with 8 competitors and a decent amount of judges. it took months, and some rounds didn't even finish, resulting in a number of byes. there are tons of unforeseen issues + there would be a very long time commitment for participants.

Yes, I figured. Though I'd be most interested in a virtual debate tournament, I didn't think it'd happen. That's why I'm just looking for another team for now while keeping the possibility of a tournament open.

TNE

Hey, this would be my first v-debate but I'm interested. I'd like to go on the aff for this one. Also, does anyone know of an alternative to mediafire? I don't like it very much because of all the popups and virus potential.

Hey, this would be my first v-debate but I'm interested. I'd like to go on the aff for this one. Also, does anyone know of an alternative to mediafire? I don't like it very much because of all the popups and virus potential.

I'll debate you and set up the thread.

Google docs is an option

I'll debate you and set up the thread.

Google docs is an option

Google docs sounds good to me. Go ahead and set up the thread, I'll see about judges. I assume 2500/1500 is fine by you?

I'd like to go neg against a policy aff. It would appear the round I'm currently in is dead.

I can do this. : D

Would like to go neg against any aff, I can have the 1nc up the day the 1ac comes up. Sooner the better, if anyone has the chance to start tonight I'd be down.

I'll do it. Thread will be started here very soon

I'm looking to go Neg for a straight-up, non-K policy on the military topic.

I just finished up a round, and I'd like to get another one started.

• Downvote 2

I'm looking to go Neg for a straight-up, non-K policy on the military topic.

I just finished up a round, and I'd like to get another one started.

Bump...

Or I'll go Aff, so long as I don't have a repeat of the securitization K I just debated against. I'd like to switch it up...