HxC Forensics

Why do we dress the way we do?

The whole dress-up problem is sort of a wash. Lots of college teams and TOC-level teams still do the shirt and tie thing. My only problem is that people don't like dressing up. There's nothing uncomfortable or annoying about a $20 shirt, a $15 tie, a $15 sweater vest, $30 slacks, and comfortable dress loafers for a few days every month.

To be blunt, if you don't like dressing up, cry about it.

The whole dress-up problem is sort of a wash. Lots of college teams and TOC-level teams still do the shirt and tie thing. My only problem is that people don't like dressing up. There's nothing uncomfortable or annoying about a $20 shirt, a $15 tie, a $15 sweater vest, $30 slacks, and comfortable dress loafers for a few days every month.

To be blunt, if you don't like dressing up, cry about it.

I'm uncomfortable with paying $100+ to participate in a 'free forum of ideas'

I agree, which is why I let all my students know about Good Will. I competed in Good Will dress clothes when I was in high school because we couldn't afford a $100 outfit.

One other thought: don't most high school students need at least one dressier outfit (not expensive suit, but a buttoned and collared shirt, nice slacks, tie for the guys and a professional outfit for the girls) for other activities? Dances, special school events, choir concerts, family events such as weddings and funerals? It's not as if competition garb will only be worn to speech tournaments and nothing else (necessarily -- that could always be a choice).

I agree, which is why I let all my students know about Good Will. I competed in Good Will dress clothes when I was in high school because we couldn't afford a $100 outfit.

One other thought: don't most high school students need at least one dressier outfit (not expensive suit, but a buttoned and collared shirt, nice slacks, tie for the guys and a professional outfit for the girls) for other activities? Dances, special school events, choir concerts, family events such as weddings and funerals? It's not as if competition garb will only be worn to speech tournaments and nothing else (necessarily -- that could always be a choice).

I 100% agree with both of those points. Actually, I went to Good Will last night and got a Raulph Lauren sweater ($4) and Liz Claiborne pants ($3) -- buying debate clothes at Good Will rocks because you can get like 10 outfits for as much as most people pay for one. I get a new debate outfit every time I go to a thrift shop.

I know that for events like NHS induction, meeting with college admissions officers, and meeting politicians and such, I wear my debate clothes. But beyond just wearing them when it's necessary that I dress up, I wear them to school and other casual things as well. An argyle sweater over jeans is the best way to go.

Point being, cost should NOT be an issue in dressing well for debate. If you have other reasons not to want to, that's your prerogative. But if your excuse is the expense, learn how to be a bargain hunter ;)

I'm uncomfortable with paying $100+ to participate in a 'free forum of ideas'

debate is not a free forum of ideas. NFL and many local tourneys will require that the resolution is what affirmatives talk about which denotes that topicality is actually *gasp* a rule of debate. There are time limits and most debaters would feel uncomfortable if someone started speaking another language (French, spanish, etc).

Needless to say, debate is not an open forum and even if it were, dressing nice has nothing with it...congress is more of an open forum than high school debate and they ALL dress nice. Most professors that we read for our kritik lit dress up for public speaking.

Do you EVER see Bush in just a t-shirt and shorts and sandles when he is in public?

With all that said, when i debated i didn't *dress up* as much as i just sorta wore slacks, a buttoned t-shirt untucked, chucks and even on occasion a bright sports coat (purple). As i've started to coach and judge, i realize how much of an idiot i must have looked like (granted, i still do, but thats beside the point). I've voted for teams who has at least one person dressed nicely versus the other team not about 60% of the time this year. is there a connection? i have no clue.

If you feel comfortable not dressing up, be my guess but don't bitch about debate being an open forum and not wanting to dress up for such an event.

kthnxbi

/Karlyn--correct all my grammatical and spelling mistakes/

• Upvote 1

debate is not a free forum of ideas. NFL and many local tourneys will require that the resolution is what affirmatives talk about which denotes that topicality is actually *gasp* a rule of debate. There are time limits and most debaters would feel uncomfortable if someone started speaking another language (French, spanish, etc).

Needless to say, debate is not an open forum and even if it were, dressing nice has nothing with it...congress is more of an open forum than high school debate and they ALL dress nice. Most professors that we read for our kritik lit dress up for public speaking.

Do you EVER see Bush in just a t-shirt and shorts and sandles when he is in public?

With all that said, when i debated i didn't *dress up* as much as i just sorta wore slacks, a buttoned t-shirt untucked, chucks and even on occasion a bright sports coat (purple). As i've started to coach and judge, i realize how much of an idiot i must have looked like (granted, i still do, but thats beside the point). I've voted for teams who has at least one person dressed nicely versus the other team not about 60% of the time this year. is there a connection? i have no clue.

If you feel comfortable not dressing up, be my guess but don't bitch about debate being an open forum and not wanting to dress up for such an event.

kthnxbi

/Karlyn--correct all my grammatical and spelling mistakes/

...about, which...French, Spanish...if it was...dressing nicely...Congress...dress nicely...professors who...t-shirt, shorts, and sandals...a buttoned shirt (i'm assuming this is what you mean because i'm not sure what a buttoned t-shirt is)...but that's beside...teams who have...feel comfortably...my guest, but...

: )

...about, which...French, Spanish...if it was...dressing nicely...Congress...dress nicely...professors who...t-shirt, shorts, and sandals...a buttoned shirt (i'm assuming this is what you mean because i'm not sure what a buttoned t-shirt is)...but that's beside...teams who have...feel comfortably...my guest, but...

: )

this is why i love you :)

The day I wear a suit to a tournament will be the day I step to a level of douche-baggery previously unseen on this gentle planet earth.

Thanks for that.

I wore jeans (granted nice jeans) at a tournament this weekend and the judge gave me 75 speaks (from 70-100 in oregon) and she was like you need to dress way better and talk slow. I was going maybe quarter speed. Fuck lay judges.