Darkness

PMF - Private Military Force CP

direct solvency turns will be hard, they really have history on their side. PMC's have kicked ass in places like sierra leone. One thing u should prep is how unregulated they are. You can get the best cards from PMC affs inherency, those would be the strongest. You could possibly get ev saying using PMC's is normal means. Also, use a perm.

two things:

1. i think you could pull off the solvency turn. things such as sex trafficking with specific links ot private military companies along with just some random stuff about how they dont do their job.

2. a common mistake i have seen far too many people make is they run some sort of DA which has an econ impact like peacekeeping trades off with aids or any politics where it leads to collapse of economy, yeah it all pretty much just links to the cp just as much.

the UTNIF file on this has great turns on the counterplan (as well as great solvency evidence for it). pm me if you want to trade.

The turns include PMfs lead to more war because they make it cheaper, commit war crimes, lead to capitalist domination, empower rogue states, along with other bundles of joy.

Its pretty confusing. I tried using solvency attacks, but they had evidence saying PMF's are cheaper, I tried attacking with US Army has best logistics, and they had evidence stating that PMF's provided logistics to the US Army, I tried Sex Trafficking turn, which they responded to by saying that PMF's had a strict history and was made up of purely US soldiers and were well trained, etc. The plan itself couldnt be permed because they had evidence stating that the UN refuses to work with the PMF's. I tried running a bunch of UN is successful and better than other organizations, but then they had evidence directly saying that the PMF's were better than the UN. As you can see, solvency turns aren't that effective.

• Downvote 1

Ya grant, i dunno.. did their cards talkibng about they were effective peace keepers or just effective for military support? I dont remember what we decided in the meeting today, but i dont think i have anything to do tomorrow unless i start my AP paper then so i'll try and get a short frontline against it together for you.

That would be incredibly great if you could. Their cards talked about how they were effective peace keepers. They provided examples all over the world where they have succeeded and stated that the UN refuses to work with the PMFs making them mutually exclusive.

There are two forms of the CP that I know of...

A) They regulate the PMF/C's then send them out. Don't say that mercenaries do bad things, b/c they wouldn't if they're regulated. In this case, break out your Ayn Rand. Regulation is anti-objectivist.

B) They just hire PMC's. In this case, yes they do commit sex trafficking and atrocities.

Actually...I run PMC's as one of my aff cases and there is evidence that says PMC's are good folks even without regulation

I'd attack solvency..

1) Turn - PMF/PMC's have economic incentive to prolong conflict. (Since PMF's aren't under direct employment of any armed forces, it is in the company's best interest to prolong the conflict, or not solve as soon as possible, as they are paid based on amount of time they spend.)

2) Find ev that states that PMF's commit human rights violations.

3) Use of PMF's violates international law. Look up the UN Mercenary Convention, this states that anyone who has ratified the convention agrees that the hiring of a mercenary for use under any armed forces or for use in any armed conflict where any armed forces are also employed is illegal under international law. While the US has not ratified this convention (as far as i know), the UN will not accept the use of PMF's in any situation.

There is a lot of information on this out there. Look up an article called "Peacekeepers, Inc." I can't recall the author, but just google it. The article discusses the positive and negative impacts of using PMF's in place of peacekeepers.

Hope this helps. If you need any further info, IM me. (hollowdissonance)

Well...there is evidence stating the clear difference between a mercenary and a PMC. And there is also ALOT of solvency ev. You could use RRf solvency and then put in specific cards for PMC's respectable and costeffective etc. So it's a hard case to beat with On case.

I'd attack solvency..

1) Turn - PMF/PMC's have economic incentive to prolong conflict. (Since PMF's aren't under direct employment of any armed forces, it is in the company's best interest to prolong the conflict, or not solve as soon as possible, as they are paid based on amount of time they spend.)

2) Find ev that states that PMF's commit human rights violations.

3) Use of PMF's violates international law. Look up the UN Mercenary Convention, this states that anyone who has ratified the convention agrees that the hiring of a mercenary for use under any armed forces or for use in any armed conflict where any armed forces are also employed is illegal under international law. While the US has not ratified this convention (as far as i know), the UN will not accept the use of PMF's in any situation.

a pmc is only as good as its last contract

-Singer '03

And to answer the original question posed in this thread...the only thing you can do is not send troops to PKOs, otherwise, you've lost to anyone that knows what they're talking about...PMCs just fucking kick ass!

Guest Harmony
Turn - PMF/PMC's have economic incentive to prolong conflict. (Since PMF's aren't under direct employment of any armed forces, it is in the company's best interest to prolong the conflict, or not solve as soon as possible, as they are paid based on amount of time they spend.)

This isn't really true. Executive Outcomes, the big name PMC, would contract out for a flat fee for a campaign, not per day. Their incentive to prolong conflict is pretty minimal compared to the risks they run by doing so.

Other than that, I don't think sex trafficking is best run against PMCs. Seems to me that most of the evidence talks about how members of peace-keeping operations are the clients.

This isn't really true. Executive Outcomes, the big name PMC, would contract out for a flat fee for a campaign, not per day. Their incentive to prolong conflict is pretty minimal compared to the risks they run by doing so.

Other than that, I don't think sex trafficking is best run against PMCs. Seems to me that most of the evidence talks about how members of peace-keeping operations are the clients.

They're right. And if you run it as a case I can help you block out T.

a pmc is only as good as its last contract

-Singer '03

And to answer the original question posed in this thread...the only thing you can do is not send troops to PKOs, otherwise, you've lost to anyone that knows what they're talking about...PMCs just fucking kick ass!

But couldn't you as a negative just use the cards that say the UN will refuse to work with PMC's to turn the Aff. case? And you have to support UN PKO's so unless you are untopical then it doesn't work so well...at least not in my head.

hurts human rights

There is tons of evidence that says it promotes human rights and the like. It is pretty easy to find as well, and the team that I know who runs it has human rights as a case advantage.

if it's a pmc cp, and the aff claims that pmc's commit sex abuse, just read cards that say that peacekeepers do too

if it's a pmc cp, and the aff claims that pmc's commit sex abuse, just read cards that say that peacekeepers do too

Though aff can claim that measures to prevent this are being taken, neg can't.

no prosecution for PMCs

i could read you cards out of my gender file that says that peacekeepers aren't prosecuted either because of their status as peacekeeper.

i could read you cards out of my gender file that says that peacekeepers aren't prosecuted either because of their status as peacekeeper.

I could read you cards about how the US dropped the peacekeeper exemption renewal in summer of 04. I could read you cards about how UN is sending sex police to stop peacekeepers from raping/trafficking in congo from last week.

I could read you cards about how the US dropped the peacekeeper exemption renewal in summer of 04. I could read you cards about how UN is sending sex police to stop peacekeepers from raping/trafficking in congo from last week.

1. the US asking for exemption is irrelevant. my ev indicates that countries just don't prosecute UNPKOfficers because they don't feel like it, not because any government is telling them to.

2. Free market checks inability to prosecute PMC's. if you don't like the way a company's doing it, get a new company. you can't do that with the UN peacekeepers