twoAC

Michigan 08-09

Indiana already has a well-established thread for the 08-09 season so I thought we needed one to discuss Michigan debate next year.

Discuss away.

• Upvote 2

I am!!!! Yay judging kiddos older than me!! Probably back to coaching at Okemos =)

Bala, Alan and I are all debating for Umich next year.

Crossing my fingers I don't fail or do something stupid.....=)

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1

I am!!!! Yay judging kiddos older than me!! Probably back to coaching at Okemos =)

Bala, Alan and I are all debating for Umich next year.

Crossing my fingers I don't fail or do something stupid.....=)

I feel sorry for you.

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1

Dexter has lost our 2 seniors, and 2 of our jv left, but we have 5 novice recruits. There's talk of the program dying since the superintendants hate it, but whether or not they let us we are going on our own.

• Upvote 1

I talked to some administrators today at Northview, and the program's not in the best shape. There will probably not be a class, so any program would be club-based and after school.

Its is sad to see debate falling apart in Michigan (i.e. administration telling debaters that they can't go to States, No Michigan teams going to NFLs, etc.)

Having said that, I will probably be judging next year!

I have to agree, our school is actively trying to kill the program, our coach wants to kill it too, but she promised to keep it until my senior year which is nice. There are a few teams going to the TOC though, so it's not like michigan is completely noncompetitive.

Why wouldn't Aakash go to the TOC? He's really good and went to national tournaments all year, that's weird.

• Downvote 1

jesse and i are going to be coach-less for our senior season unless you count dave bassett, but he is more of a mascot anyway =]. zach stachowski is moving to Massachusetts at the end of this month so i guess we're on our own.

aside from the two of us competing varsity, we'll have 1 jv team and at least one novice team. we're working on recruiting more but just like everyone else, our administration is trying to suffocate debate out of existence.

I am sure that if you asked around you could find a coach for tournaments. In fact, I would be willing to help out from time to time if my scedule next year allows for it.

I feel sorry for you.

I am disappointed in your dismal opinion of the University of Michigan, Jackson.

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1

Groves will obviously be fielding a bunch of teams throughout the year. Right now it looks like 3-4 varsity, 2-3 JV and what ever novice we can muster. We still have our coaching staff and the support of our school, but everyone is right when they are pointing out how debate is dying in the state of michigan.

i'm not sure if this information has been given out yet, but where would someone be able to find the dates/costs/etc. of in-state michigan tournaments?

if it's not all on one big calendar or something, is there someone besides the head of the certain school's forensic program i can contact to find out?

Shortly, there should be a calendar posted of in-state Michigan tournaments at http://www.themifa.org

The first tournament of the year will be at Detroit Country Day. September 12-13.

If you check the ''GL Tourney Invites and Results'' section, you should be able to find invitations to tournaments two to three weeks before they occur.

I expect that tournaments will be held by the following schools this year --

Detroit Country Day Schoool http://www.cross-x.com/vb/showthread.php?t=985715

Central Michigan University??

Holland kschneid@hollandpublicschools.org

Okemos smithori@msu.edu

Mona Shores greenb@monashores.net

Wayne State

Dexter dmarsh@dexter.k12.mi.us

Eisenhower Thomas.Lietz@Uticak12.org

East Grand Rapids j-power@comcast.net

University of Michigan (November 7-9) http://www.michigandebate.com/tournament.cfm

Wylie E. Groves (November 13-14) jl02bps@birmingham.k12.mi.us

West Bloomfield thursam@westbloomfield.k12.mi.us

Michigan State University (debate@msu.edu held in conjunction with MIFA Novice States, Dec 12-13)

East Kentwood ekdebate@gmail.com

JV States (usually at HH Dow high school)

MIFA Varsity States (January 29-31)

It is sad how michigan debate is dying... all high school debate is...

but im glad northview's program finally fell apart... the coach was an ass (cept you dan) and they were fucking K hacks...

Janke, Dan, and myself put northview on the map for a good 3 years... and soon it will go back to the way it was... "who the fuck is northview?"

for most eastern schools debate isn't doing terrible though... DCD always has an endless supply of asians... Groves just never runs out of really scary bitchy women... and some schools (such as pioneer) are actually growing...

Good luck michigan debate... I will judge you for as long as you exist...

• Downvote 3