Sonic-Jihad

Lupe Fiasco...

As of this morning, I didn't like Lupe Fiasco. I had heard Daydreamin' (which was awesome, but overplayed) and Superstar (which was less awesome, and overplayed). I had heard Go Go Gadget Flow at CEDA (thanks to Binghamton for playing it before the round) and liked it, but had no idea who it was.

Anyway - he came to Emory tonight...and it was awesome.

We were thinking of playing Little Weapon for a performance affirmative. It's a really good song.

he's an amazing artist. don't listen to just his hit songs, he's one of the best freestylers out there.

Best tracks:

Little Weapon

The Cool

Streets on Fire

Hip Hop Saved my Life

One of the few rappers that actually raps important shit these days.

• Downvote 1

I might have just missed it (we were having a great time making fun of the girl in front of us who is on the "break dancing team" who was "dancing") but I don't think he did Little Weapon...which is absolutely my favorite song on the album. Kinda disappointing (both if he didn't do it and if I just missed it).

he's an amazing artist. don't listen to just his hit songs, he's one of the best freestylers out there.

Best tracks:

Little Weapon

Streets on Fire

One of the few rappers that actually raps important shit these days.

qfa

Yep, Lupe's the shizzit. I think his sophmore album (The Cool) is better than his first one (Food & Liquor) but he admitted he's still trying to figure out exactly who his audience is. He's a great lyricist and is on point, in his analysis of social issues. My favorite song on the cool is Dumb it Down.

i got a mixtape of lupe's a while ago called lupe the jedi and i just gave it some play..it's hot. him over lose yourself is better than em over lose yourself..and it's supposedly a freestyle?

anybody else heard this?

He a lot like Kanye to me tho. Pretty big douche, but is undeniably good at what he does.

Really? I've heard he was approachable. What's the scoop, Burns?

Lame, but I don't think that compares at all to the millions of shitty comments Kanye has made. "George Bush doesn't care about black people" probably doesn't even top his list.

Lame, but I don't think that compares at all to the millions of shitty comments Kanye has made. "George Bush doesn't care about black people" probably doesn't even top his list.

I was just sayin he's a douche like Kanye is. I wasn't tryna measure who a bigger douche, just that they both douches. It was just a comparison most people on this site would recognize.

As far as the Bush remark, he just said what alotta people were feelin at the time. Wrong outlet? Yea, probably, but I don't think it was a shitty comment. Somebody had to say that shit, imo. I hate Kanye much more for his I'm like the fly Malcolm X / buy any jeans necessary! abortion of a rhyme (he just a terrible, terrible rapper).

Yeah it makes sense to put it like that. I think his bitching about the VMAs (was it the VMAs? the one he keeps saying he gets snubbed at) his arrogance over that one 4 AM show start a few months ago, and the fact that he's actually making this new album completely in auto-tune are probably worse anyway.

The whole Katrina thing really is stupid for the fact that because it was in such a ridiculous place at such a ridiculous time, it kind of trivialized the idea behind it. Movements against structural racism were probably set back quite badly because of the fact that it comes off "like that one rapper on the fund raiser"

Yeah it makes sense to put it like that. I think his bitching about the VMAs (was it the VMAs? the one he keeps saying he gets snubbed at) his arrogance over that one 4 AM show start a few months ago, and the fact that he's actually making this new album completely in auto-tune are probably worse anyway.

No doubt, hes a fragile egomaniac, but he bleeds like the rest of us.

And that new single isn't very good imo, however it might be better than him rappin at this point. I do like PUT ON more than anythin on Graduation save a song or two.

The whole Katrina thing really is stupid for the fact that because it was in such a ridiculous place at such a ridiculous time, it kind of trivialized the idea behind it. Movements against structural racism were probably set back quite badly because of the fact that it comes off "like that one rapper on the fund raiser"

I feel you, my dude. But the more I think about it over time, the more I think he did the right thang. So we might have to agree to disagree here.. Could he have used a 'better' outlet? Like I said, yea, he probably could've. But when you really think about it, I doubt even a third of the people would've got the message had he made the remark through different means. I disagree that it was the wrong time, I mean, when does it become the 'right' time?.. It had been 5 days since Katrina and the government still hadn't responded. People were literally dyin as he made his remark. By sayin what he said when he said it, he forced millions of people out of their comfort zone and made em look at what was really goin on while it was still goin on. To pull a Towson, discomfort good. And it takes guts to tell the truth when people ain't wantin to hear it.

I guess the overall thang for me tho is if people determine the rigor of the fight against structural racism based on what a rapper says or does (especially one who made a very human remark speakin to the outrage, anger and frustration within the community towards the government at the time), that's part of the problem. And it's part of why, while I'm hopeful for the future, I'm not gonna hold my breath that structural racism and it's legacy will be completely resolved til whites are no longer the majority.

Edited by Burns

i get really excited whenever i hear put on over here. somethin about jeezy stuff always seems anthemic. i mighta made that word up but whatever. haha kanye's a nice feel alongside jeezy in this one imo

i saw him recently and i fealt that all his hits were overplayed and fairly shit, while all the other songs were very good

i guess nobody's peepin the rap thread so i'll just post this here..good news: lupe's got a new mixtape out, called "xtreme". moderate news: most of it is stuff you've heard before.

tracklisting:

01. Superstar (Feat. Matthew Santos (Live) 07:19

02. Superstar (Fiascogate Remix) 03:51

03. Paris Tokyo (Live) 04:14

04. Can You Let Me Know 01:52

05. I Gotcha (Live) 04:11

06. City Wings 01:12

07. Day Dreaming (Live) 03:52

08. Bottom Top 02:40

09. Kick Push (Live) 04:43

10. Kick Push Part 2 05:08

11. Dumb It Down (Live) 03:12