steverenzi

LeMars is my heros

I've come in third at Nats too. Everyone knows the best team in the country takes third each year.
Folks might think Phil's kidding, but it really has happened a lot...

Speaking as a school administrator, I think it might be interesting to have some school administrators see some of these posts.
It is a free country, and school administrators are certainly welcome to view the contents of this website (and even join in a discussion or two, if they are so inclined). Speaking as a coach, I can tell you that much of what students post here would curl your hair (as would much of the conversation in a typical high school cafeteria at lunchtime). If that sort of thing bothers you, this probably isn't a good place to hang out...
  • Upvote 1

I was thinking more about what the way the coaches were expressing their thoughts on a forum that they know their students read. I just think your choice or words leaves much to be desired. If you express yourself in this manner on here, how do you manage in person-to-person dialogue? My thoughts are that you are not setting a tremendously good example in that respect. I know that if I were paying a coach on my staff to teach young people, I would not be terribly impressed. I realize that I am 38 years old and maybe you will consider that a 'stuffed shirt' but I think there is a time and a place for that kind of language.

With all that said, it doesn't mean you are a bad coach. I simply wonder why coaches would encourage that language by using vulgarities and seemingly condone their students' use of it.

I also think that the excuse that hearing it and worse in a high school cafeteria does not make it right.

I do have a debate background and I have a son who debates in our state (not Iowa or South Dakota). Friends of his pointed out this thread and then he pointed it out to me and asked what I would do if his coach listed posts similar to those on here. I assured him that we (coach and I) would be having a conference regarding it quickly. If the coach was serious about wanting to keep his/her job, I would expect some change in language (and frankly, termperament also).

If you knew your boss was going to read this, would you do anything differently?

JMHO

• Downvote 1

I simply wonder why coaches would encourage that language by using vulgarities and seemingly condone their students' use of it.

Clearly you don't have any debate background, and clearly you know nothing of Iowa debate. First of all, the coaches you are refering to are college students. Iowa debate is a tight knit group of people. The high schoolers get along with the college students and have a more than just coach-student relationships. There isn't a big age difference for one thing, and simply put, we are friends, and even in some instances siblings. This is simply the culture of national circuit/Iowa debate. Sure, not every coach allows it, but it's definitely not uncommon for swearing to be acceptable - even amongst the older coaches. And if you are concerned about what behaviors students are picking up from coaches, you need not be. I'm a senior in high school and have been involved in the activity for 4 years now... I happen to find many of the coaches on the Iowa debate circuit to be great role models. Besides, why you feel the need to intervene into this forum is beyond me... it's none of your business, and you just simply don't know what you are talking about. Thank you for your input. You can leave now.

Sincerely,

Megan Johnson

• Downvote 1

Megan said quite well what I was planning on replying with, so I won't even bother with a reply. I do have one thing to add - If you are not implying that I (or whomever else you are referring to) am a bad coach/person, then what are you getting at?

• Downvote 1

Is swearing allowed yet, or have we not heard the last of Mr. Gregory? Also It doesn't really make sense that just because a coach allows you to swear, that that automatically means that they are encouraging it. Are you telling me that that you have never let anything happen that you don't necessarily condone? If so I would find that very hard to believe.

The bad words in this thread were the the first ones I've ever seen/heard. Now I can't stop using them. Thanks a lot ø#$%*@s.

• Downvote 1

Has it occured to anyone that "Heros" has a second "e" as in Heroes

patrick shut the F*** up, havent you realized that us here in iowa only use bad language/grammar/spelling, its how we do.

also, LeMars is to tight that we dont even need the e in heroes , duh

Mr. Gregory -

I undferstand the point you are trying to make, and respect your willingness to post it on this thread. However, I feel that you are missing the boat on a few critical components of this website. First and foremost, school administrators and coaches have no authority or ability to reprimand students for the use of their language on a public webpage that is in no way affiliated with their school. Perhaps coaches or administrators may see this webpage and advise their students to change their language, but punishment is not a viable alternative.

You bring up several points that I think help prove what I just said, as well as the posts of previous individuals. There is a "time and a place" for such language. First, I find this somewhat of a contradiction in your argument, for in several places you implicitly condemn the use of such language period. Moreover, on a public debate webpage dedicated for the use of high school students, I must wonder if not here, where? If not in the cafeteria, where? It almost seems that you want to say that its ok if "adults" use it, but not high school students.

I am also perplexed that you say individuals who use this sort of language would lack the ability to have "person to person dialogue". Why? I don't know anyone that uses the same language to all people. You talk differently to your bosses than to your fellow employees. You talk differently to your friends than your kids, different to your wife than your priest/minister (or religious authority). What I am saying is that just beacuse you use this language to certain people does not mean you do to others. The forum in which you use language changes, and I gaurantee you that all of these so-called-kids that are using this language are more than capable of carrying on an intelligent conversation with ANY person you'd desire. You said it best - if your boss was going to read this, would you use this language? Probably not. But my boss isn't going to read this - their bosses aren't - and its designed for THEM, not the coaches, not judges, not parents. This is the forum you said previously they should be using, period.

As for coaches posting on this thread, and their use of language, they (we) are all college students. Does that excuse our language? Probably not. But you are extremely naive if you assume coaches don't use vulgar language. I have heard an F bomb dropped in closed doors from just about every teacher I have ever kown. Football caoches drop them more than you can imagine. Baseball, football, dance team, soccer, tennis, chess team, habitat for humanity (hit your thumb, not the nail) will drop a line or two in the heat of the moment. You could make the argument that this is written, not spoken. The problem is that writing makes it difficult to display emotion, and sometimes vulgarities are necessary for that emotion.

Lastly, your son, who you say debtaes, is going to hear this language. Don't shelter him, don't act like it doesn't exist. If he, or you, don't want to use it, that is your own choice and I respect you both for it. BUT, don't pretend we live in a utopia, please. If anytihng, that will make you, and your son, more ignorant and less aware of the world around you.

Respectully,

Schoofs

• Upvote 1

FUCK FUCK FUCK FUCKEDY FUCK FUCK FUCK FUCK - listen - you all need to deal with the fact that FUCK is a versatile word and that you can all straight suck it if you take offense to me saying FUCK. FUCK FUCK FUCK. FUCK you and fuck anyone who wants to censor me you fascist fucks. Go burn books and puts blue stars on my shoulder you fucking fucks........ Love, Me.

• Upvote 1

FUCK FUCK FUCK FUCKEDY FUCK FUCK FUCK FUCK - listen - you all need to deal with the fact that FUCK is a versatile word and that you can all straight suck it if you take offense to me saying FUCK. FUCK FUCK FUCK. FUCK you and fuck anyone who wants to censor me you fascist fucks. Go burn books and puts blue stars on my shoulder you fucking fucks........ Love, Me.

i was waiting for that (any1 else want to "liberate" themselves)?

oh my fucking god, i think i fucking love you. that was fucking awesome.

p.s. ross, you're cool too.

patrick shut the F*** up, havent you realized that us here in iowa only use bad language/grammar/spelling, its how we do.

also, LeMars is to tight that we dont even need the e in heroes , duh

My fault, I guess I'll work on spelling worse

LeMars is also my hero, every one of them...except Ms. Johnson and Ms. Rowden, due to their failure to recognize that I am the only one to score 100% on either of the quizzes, and thus should be given the title of "Best Friend" ;)

Mr. Gregory -

I undferstand the point you are trying to make, and respect your willingness to post it on this thread. However, I feel that you are missing the boat on a few critical components of this website. First and foremost, school administrators and coaches have no authority or ability to reprimand students for the use of their language on a public webpage that is in no way affiliated with their school. Perhaps coaches or administrators may see this webpage and advise their students to change their language, but punishment is not a viable alternative.

You bring up several points that I think help prove what I just said, as well as the posts of previous individuals. There is a "time and a place" for such language. First, I find this somewhat of a contradiction in your argument, for in several places you implicitly condemn the use of such language period. Moreover, on a public debate webpage dedicated for the use of high school students, I must wonder if not here, where? If not in the cafeteria, where? It almost seems that you want to say that its ok if "adults" use it, but not high school students.

I am also perplexed that you say individuals who use this sort of language would lack the ability to have "person to person dialogue". Why? I don't know anyone that uses the same language to all people. You talk differently to your bosses than to your fellow employees. You talk differently to your friends than your kids, different to your wife than your priest/minister (or religious authority). What I am saying is that just beacuse you use this language to certain people does not mean you do to others. The forum in which you use language changes, and I gaurantee you that all of these so-called-kids that are using this language are more than capable of carrying on an intelligent conversation with ANY person you'd desire. You said it best - if your boss was going to read this, would you use this language? Probably not. But my boss isn't going to read this - their bosses aren't - and its designed for THEM, not the coaches, not judges, not parents. This is the forum you said previously they should be using, period.

As for coaches posting on this thread, and their use of language, they (we) are all college students. Does that excuse our language? Probably not. But you are extremely naive if you assume coaches don't use vulgar language. I have heard an F bomb dropped in closed doors from just about every teacher I have ever kown. Football caoches drop them more than you can imagine. Baseball, football, dance team, soccer, tennis, chess team, habitat for humanity (hit your thumb, not the nail) will drop a line or two in the heat of the moment. You could make the argument that this is written, not spoken. The problem is that writing makes it difficult to display emotion, and sometimes vulgarities are necessary for that emotion.

Lastly, your son, who you say debtaes, is going to hear this language. Don't shelter him, don't act like it doesn't exist. If he, or you, don't want to use it, that is your own choice and I respect you both for it. BUT, don't pretend we live in a utopia, please. If anytihng, that will make you, and your son, more ignorant and less aware of the world around you.

Respectully,

Schoofs

omg, i agree with you...the world has officially ended and pigs are flying

for the sake of you not looking like a complete worthless jackass, i'll gladly inform you on the circumstances in which we left the tournament

Watertown felt the need to lie about the wareabouts of one of our judges saying that he stopped the round after the 1ar to give a lecture (all who know michael mapes know this is a ridiculous claim) even after talking to the other team, vermillion, who gladly took the side of michael saying no such thing happened, the tournament indicated that brookings and watertown would get to strike michael from furthur judging them. however, they did this without allowing lemars to aquire a strike as well or any other school at the tournament for that matter. this is fucking absurd.

frankly, i debated the 4 rounds this weekend even though i had to walk through the halls and get glared at and people whispering about me as i walked by. i have NEVER been so disrespected at any tournmanet in my entire life. EVER. why would we want to come to a tournament like that? we go to iowa and teams look up to us and we have tons of friends there, but in south dakota, we are hated and dropped because we're from a different state. why is it that at national tournaments we go and get speaker awards and late outrounds, but here we go 1-3, 0-5?

if i would have known all it took to get a judge knocked out of the tournament was bitch to the tabroom, i might have done it after 1st round when i got yelled at in cross-x by a judge and got dropped b/c he didnt like the argument. lemars has put up with this stupid shit for years, and i am glad to say i will never be returning to another one of y oru worthless tournaments again. and i will pursuade my coaches to never waste money for sure losses and low speaks

Meggie

cuz you suck.

Watertown Over All!