kerpen

Which of the final topic choices do you want?

Which of the final topic choices do you want?  

812 members have voted

1. 1. Which of the final topic choices do you want?

• Federal Elections
    • Civil Liberties
    • No preference

this is the only reason im glad im graduating and this is my last year in debate... both these topics really suck

it seems like for both of them, there is microscopic aff ground and infinite neg ground...

rest in peace, space topic.

Microscopic ground on elections? It is to laugh. Here's a list:

1. Have a coup.

2. Expel Member X from the house/senate.

3. Repeal McCain-Feingold.

4. Strengthen MF

5. Make faithless electors federal felons.

6. Get rid of the EC (just b/c it's nontopical doesn't mean it won't be run)

7. Repeal the 16th ammendment (likewise)

8. Screw with any aspect of PAC's, 527s, whatever

9. If you want to be effectually topical, screw with corporate/union speech

10. Instant-runoff voting

11. Approval voting (vote for all candidates you would find acceptable)

12. Expand the House of Reps

13. Give DC some reps/senators

14. Force presidential candidates to declare their cabinets ahead of time

15. Allocate electoral-college votes in proportion to the vote within the state

16. Have an open primary

17. Elect our rep to the UN

18. Grant statehood to DC/Puerto Rico/Guam/ whatever

Gah. Why couldn't space or prescription drugs make it on their? This is going to be a horrible next year.

i can just imagine that if space had been chosen, there'd a bunch of mini-WGLF's roaming around the debate realm screaming "THE SUN IS GOING TO IMP/EXP!"

i voted civil liberties

fed elections sounds like the most boring topic i've ever heard of.

neither of them establish a policy and there won't be many foreign impacts that i can see.

space would have been way better.

Good luck running an aff to abolish the electoral college. In order to do so, you would have to amend the Constitution, which may have some theoretical issues.

Good luck running an aff to abolish the electoral college. In order to do so, you would have to amend the Constitution, which may have some theoretical issues.

Given the agent of action, I think the Aff can plausibly argue that the USFG at least "includes" the state governments, esp since their sole function here would be to ratify a constitutional amendment (it would be different if the plan needed the states to adopt some other laws/policies on their own independent of plan). I'm not saying the Neg won't have a valid argument, but I think the Aff has some grounds for such a position.

Besides, I don't think it would be too hard to find ev that says a sufficient portion of the states already want the EC to be abolished to ratify such an amendment. States like Oklahoma get ignored in the EC system because it ALWAYS votes Republican so neither party feels there is any benefit to catering to their needs.

Just my two-cents.......

You could always run that the Senate and House move for an amendment to change fed elections system... then prove that states would follow up on the process through Solvency, but then it's effectually topical. Fism bad advantages might be run a lot next ryear as well, I can see it.

To add to the list that raganor provided...

1. Add term limits

2. Elect ambassadors

3. Revert back to state level caucuses for Senatorial positions

4. Repeal McCain-Feingold... He might have said that.

5. Force losing Party Candidate to be VP, as per 1789-1800

6. Induct Peurto Rico as a State

7. INduct DC as a state

8. Destroy limits for the Reps to stay at 435... make it 500,000 people per reps

9. Unicameral Legislature-slightly not topical

10. Other forms of Campaign Finance Reform-Ban "soft" money

11. Close 527 loophole

12. Ban Campaign contributions

13. Get rid of DNC and RNC, force candidates to fund themselves... reverts them back to an issues debate and allows thrid parties-almost no TV ads

14. No PACS

15. No Lobbyists-slightly topical

16. Run-off voting

17. Permanent Incumbency (dictatorial government, but a better phrasing)

18. Only e-voting

19. Only paper ballots

20. Require e-voting to have apaper reciept

21. Vote online

22. Referendum all laws

23. Ban political Ads

Those are all I thought of in a minute... I'm sure there are more.

i can see little K work for the fed topic. maybe about the constitution. SOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO many affs can be run with this topic. say good by to the T standard of limits.

what was i thinking when i voted for it though???

the civil liberties topic sounds like you have to support one side or the other, or all in one make the bill of rights more powerful... AND AWESOME!

You could always run that the Senate and House move for an amendment to change fed elections system... then prove that states would follow up on the process through Solvency, but then it's effectually topical. Fism bad advantages might be run a lot next ryear as well, I can see it.

To add to the list that raganor provided...

1. Add term limits

2. Elect ambassadors

3. Revert back to state level caucuses for Senatorial positions

4. Repeal McCain-Feingold... He might have said that.

5. Force losing Party Candidate to be VP, as per 1789-1800

6. Induct Peurto Rico as a State

7. INduct DC as a state

8. Destroy limits for the Reps to stay at 435... make it 500,000 people per reps

9. Unicameral Legislature-slightly not topical

10. Other forms of Campaign Finance Reform-Ban "soft" money

11. Close 527 loophole

12. Ban Campaign contributions

13. Get rid of DNC and RNC, force candidates to fund themselves... reverts them back to an issues debate and allows thrid parties-almost no TV ads

14. No PACS

15. No Lobbyists-slightly topical

16. Run-off voting

17. Permanent Incumbency (dictatorial government, but a better phrasing)

18. Only e-voting

19. Only paper ballots

20. Require e-voting to have apaper reciept

21. Vote online

22. Referendum all laws

23. Ban political Ads

Those are all I thought of in a minute... I'm sure there are more.

The ones with impacts include 6 and 17 - a Federalism Bad advantage is easily counterplanable leaving you with defending "Vote online" outweighs the Disad

Maybe im not being very creative but in order for affirmatives to win over 50% of their rounds they better hope Federal elections, like almost every other year, gets shut down

Federal Elections is boring. I also thin next year will be crazy for it because of the constant changes that may be happening next year after even this year's election. What about Ban Exit Polling as an Aff? J/k

Civil Libs is not a great topic, but I think we have more cases than you think. It reminds me of the privacy topic, in fact have an interesting case idea that I will not make public.

I can not see Patriot act as an issue since it was struck down in the courts 3 weeks ago. Instead I see things from the privacy topic that dealt with search and seizure or holding: Racial Profiling (police or airports), DOD DNA, DADT, etc

SPACE!!! WHAT happend if one of these are going to be the topic next year I don't think I even want to debate.

dont debate billy, u suck, jk, word i dont know about next year, dont vote the federal elections though, how would we get all the nuke war impax :eek:

You get nuke war impacts from Dictatorialism, Democracy Spread/Promotion, any POlitics ever, Free speech backlash, maybe implementing a theocracy to spread/stem a religion could lead to some impacts, giant cultural genocide impacts, Making a poll tax/getting rid of any qualifications get you race impacts, and all the rounds can be kritikal anyway, which would get boring after a while, but what the hell....

Oh yes! Confidence Impax, Hege Impax, Econ Impax (getting rid of lobbies would have some HUGE affect on the economy), Abortion backlash to something like Supreme court Elections...these impax are ginormous and varied.

EDIT: WoT Impax, War on Drugs Impax, Global Leadership Impax, Immigration Impax, Cult Imperialism (induct X as state, elect ambassadors), Gridlock Impax (referendum All laws, INduct X as state, UNicameral Legislature, Alternate VP), Feminism impax (require 50% elected to be women-nice essentialism debate as well)-you get the drift.

Maybe if we get enough debaters to sign a petition to bring back space...:-\

meh...not worth it. i'll settle with federal elections, but there's no way i'm debating civil liberties. what a joke.

An interesting elections case would be ballot reform, like make "incombant" appear on the ballot, more likely to be voted for again, more likely to truly serve w/o worrying about a reelection. Of course it could be argued that that is bad, but its still an interesting idea.

A few more cases to add:

24. Require 50% of Legislatures to be female

25. Ban elections, revert to x government (fascism, theocracy, etc.)

26. Elect members of the Supreme Court

27. Increase time for a term (such as one presidential term is ten years... they only serve once and long term leadership is key to something).

28. Terminate the Government

29. Faithless Electors

30. Mandate balloting system to x format (butterfly, traditional, name of incumbent, etc.)

And Shoeofmine, I doubt that case would be that great... the impacts would be minimal, and easier to get with ban term limits or something... again, many of these mess with the constitution, but fiating the Supreme Court to never overturn is pretty sweet.

Under the Civ Lib topic, i would think this would allow better debate on the neg. You would get better kritik and dis-ad ground. For a kritik you could run like a kritik of a form of goverment like plan leads to marxism. The fism da would be brought back as well as protectionism. An aff could be have the states decide if they want the patriot act, rather then making it a federal law.

For the Elections, not to much neg ground. It will be better to go on the aff. I think a possiable case would be to destroy the two major parties and have each canidate run on it's own. I would also try to tie in the destruction of the Electorial college.

essentially, with elections, you're going to get a lot of electoral college affs. and with civil liberties, you're going to get a lot of patriot act affs.