kerpen

Which of the final topic choices do you want?

Which of the final topic choices do you want?  

812 members have voted

1. 1. Which of the final topic choices do you want?

• Federal Elections
    • Civil Liberties
    • No preference

FEDERAL ELECTIONS - Resolved: The United States federal government should substantially change its federal election system.

Topic Paper Here

CIVIL LIBERTIES - Resolved: The United States federal government should substantially decrease its authority either to detain without charge or to search without probable cause.

Topic Paper Here

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1

i think federal elections has an aray of different affirmatives. the other resolution sounds like oyu have to support one or the other

god, don't vote federal elections. i can just see "electoral college" being ran by everybody... i'm pissed as hell that space didn't make it.

Only the stupid will get rid of the electoral college. Non-topical on "USFG," "its," and potentially "federal election system." And an assload of case turns.

But both topics are mostly aff-biased. Severe lack of counterplan ground on elections, and severe aff bias period on civil liberties.

Altho there is a substantial amount of critical ground available on civlibs, but it's mainly resolutionally linked or counterintuitive.

Eh, I'm a senior. Whatever.

While i think federal elections is going to be a better topic, i'm not a fan of any resolution that dosn't ask you to establish a policy. I swear CX is turning into PF more and more.

Man this sucks. It will be yet another year of debating something I don't care about...Ok well I care about it I just don't wanna deabte about it. Why oh why couldn't space win.

OK, I think Federal Elections are the best choice...

1.States CP

2.A wide array of affs. I thought of 10 in my head-I'm sure some are not topical

3.Giant fism link... maybe be overrun, but I thought hege was going to be overdone this year, and so far it hasn't been.

4.Amendment CP

5.Exec CP

6.Consult Canada-they have an awesome democracy/federalism

7.Anarchy K

8.State K

9.election monitoring CP

10. UN CP-hey kick ass with elections

11. Demo Promo Adv/DA

12. Self-D DA and many others.

13. If you look at the topic papers, it has some sweet cases (sweet being a relative term)....

And if Electoral College would be run by everyone, the Patriot Act would be run by everyone under the Civil Liberties topic.

• Upvote 1

I must vote Fed elections cause I just don't see the debate on civil liberties. I can see more argumentation on the elections than the other one. But ACHS debater sean is right. Space would be much better.

word to space.

Kerpen- what kind of affs would we be dealing with for both topics?

right now im thinking fed elections would have more but i definately would not enjoy that topic. Civil liberties does reallly seem to have no affs. it'd be like, we have/dont have the right to search... and then random senarios.

The federal elections process won't be dull. You could do anything on a national scale. There's many cases, and the entire election process could be included. Primaries on a national scale would be fun, and abolishing the electoral college would be possible. Really-eventually people will think of many cases. It won't be dull; just more people will be thinking about cases once the final topic is named.

is it just me, or does it seem like there would be only one topical plan for each resolution?

federal elections = get rid of electoral college

civil liberties = repeal the patriot act

The federal elections process won't be dull. You could do anything on a national scale. There's many cases, and the entire election process could be included. Primaries on a national scale would be fun, and abolishing the electoral college would be possible. Really-eventually people will think of many cases. It won't be dull; just more people will be thinking about cases once the final topic is named.
boring.

OK, I think Federal Elections are the best choice...

1.States CP

2.A wide array of affs. I thought of 10 in my head-I'm sure some are not topical

3.Giant fism link... maybe be overrun, but I thought hege was going to be overdone this year, and so far it hasn't been.

4.Amendment CP

5.Exec CP

6.Consult Canada-they have an awesome democracy/federalism

7.Anarchy K

8.State K

9.election monitoring CP

10. UN CP-hey kick ass with elections

11. Demo Promo Adv/DA

12. Self-D DA and many others.

13. If you look at the topic papers, it has some sweet cases (sweet being a relative term)....

And if Electoral College would be run by everyone, the Patriot Act would be run by everyone under the Civil Liberties topic.

You forgot my LEAST favorite counterplan of all time, but fits perfectly into the topic, Con-Con. Both resoultions deal with constituional issues, and i can just see Con Con being run everyround. *Shudders* I'm so glad I won't be debating it.

When I just read the titles Federal Elections or Civil Liberties I was immediately deciding on civil liberties. But Civil Liberties doesn't ask you to establish a policy which in my mind then sucks and the patriot act (or the patriot act 2) will be run every round! I must vote federal elections.

hypotesting -

Anarchy could be case on fed elections, it would have to be fx topical though, you would have to abolish the gov't which would abolish the fed elections.........

More interesting would be abolish the fed elections in order to make the current president dictator....thats on face topical, write your blocks and you should be golden. Pick a different dictator so that way you have 2, then you have a case or a CP every round.

I'd be concerned about too many cases on the elections topic. There's volumes and volumes of elections law you can screw with, either legislatively or thru administrative methods, and it's all fucked up to one extent or another.