stacyms7

Girls State

Hey all!

Has anyone here attended Girls State while in high school and will anyone be attending it this year?

What is "Girls State?"

I am also wondering that. Furthermore, I'm wondering what kinds of places would still segregate competitions by gender...

• Downvote 1

What is "Girls State?"

The American Legion's Boys State and Girls State Programs are run in 49 of the 50 states. Though the programs and selection systems vary by state, and even within various states generally, 3-4 High School juniors are nominated by their schools and then interviewed and one, or perhaps two are then selected to attend the program, which is a week long (in California) program in which a learn by doing approach to state and local government is completed. Delegates form their own city, county and state governments complete with performing each step in the nominating process as well as the election process. For state offices, a party system exists (not Dem Rep, but in Cali, Whigs and Federalists) and the parties select candidates to run for statewide office and select and establish their own party structures, complete with writing and passing their own platforms.

Many programs also have a complete judicial system where trials and appeals are argued. The program started in the 1930's in Illinois and in Calfornia between 940-980 delegates attend the session each year. California also has a newspaper, a full athletic program, a model oral advocacy program and a music/entertainment program. The week is a full one and a whole lot of education without lectures is crammed into a 7 day period.

At the end of each state program, the delegates select the two most outstanding delegates from each state to attend the American Legion's Boys Nation and Girls Nation Programs in Washington DC during the middle of the summer. Typically, the delegates to Boys and Girls Nation visit a whole lot of places, including the White House where they get a chance to meet and greet the President.

If you have ever been to the John F. Kennedy Museum in Boston, one of the last exhibits shows a picture of President Kennedy in the Rose Garden of the WHite House meeting with the Boys and Girls Nation delegates. One of the delegates seen shaking hands with the President was a very young Bill Clinton. Jeff Pash, a former multiple NDT participant from Harvard and currently the general counsel to the National Football League, Senator Joseph Lieberman, and Michael Jordan are just a few former Boys Staters.

The program is an excellent opportunity to showcase speaking and debating skills in a real world setting, as well as a wonderful chance to learn about municipal and local government operations in a true, learn by doing situation.

Congrats on getting to selected to attend Girls State. I hope you will enjoy your experience.

I am also wondering that. Furthermore, I'm wondering what kinds of places would still segregate competitions by gender...

Uh, sports?

• Upvote 1

Uh, sports?

Yes. at least in California there is a full time sports program. Every afternoon between 4-6 the delegates can enjoy rec time. In California, there is a full city vs. city athletic competition in touch football, softball, basketball, volleyball, tennis and a couple of other activity competitions like billiards and table tennis. At the end of the week there is a track meet. For those who do not want to participate in sports, the pools at Sac State are available, and nap time happens for many delegates, as well.

With respect to the gender segregation, in California it is primarily a matter of space and funding. The Department of California American Legion Auxiliary funds and organizes California Girls State. The Boys State Commission of the Department of California American Legion funds and organizes California Boys State. At Sac State University, where the Boys State Program has been held for the past 36 years, there is not enough dorm room space to house both the Boys and Girls State Programs at the same time. Additionally, pragmatically, it is a tough enough exercise in supervision to handle one gender group at a time with, roughly, one counselor to every 25 or so delegates. Even as private organizations, the American Legion and the American Legion Auxiliary are committed to racial and gender equality, but are also desirous of maximizing the number of males and females who can attend the program each year, which is why, in part, having separate gender programs actually increases the aggregate numbers of high school juniors of both genders who are able to attend the program(s) each year.

Well, yes that about sums up Girls State. Its a great opportunity. They seperate by gender because the girls and the guys each get one week at the same college in the same dorm, which would be potentilaly problematic at the same time. Lol. So, now that you know what it is, have any of you been? Furthermore, are there programs like this in any of your states?

The American Legion's Boys State and Girls State Programs are run in 49 of the 50 states. Though the programs and selection systems vary by state, and even within various states generally, 3-4 High School juniors are nominated by their schools and then interviewed and one, or perhaps two are then selected to attend the program, which is a week long (in California) program in which a learn by doing approach to state and local government is completed. Delegates form their own city, county and state governments complete with performing each step in the nominating process as well as the election process. For state offices, a party system exists (not Dem Rep, but in Cali, Whigs and Federalists) and the parties select candidates to run for statewide office and select and establish their own party structures, complete with writing and passing their own platforms.

Many programs also have a complete judicial system where trials and appeals are argued. The program started in the 1930's in Illinois and in Calfornia between 940-980 delegates attend the session each year. California also has a newspaper, a full athletic program, a model oral advocacy program and a music/entertainment program. The week is a full one and a whole lot of education without lectures is crammed into a 7 day period.

At the end of each state program, the delegates select the two most outstanding delegates from each state to attend the American Legion's Boys Nation and Girls Nation Programs in Washington DC during the middle of the summer. Typically, the delegates to Boys and Girls Nation visit a whole lot of places, including the White House where they get a chance to meet and greet the President.

If you have ever been to the John F. Kennedy Museum in Boston, one of the last exhibits shows a picture of President Kennedy in the Rose Garden of the WHite House meeting with the Boys and Girls Nation delegates. One of the delegates seen shaking hands with the President was a very young Bill Clinton. Jeff Pash, a former multiple NDT participant from Harvard and currently the general counsel to the National Football League, Senator Joseph Lieberman, and Michael Jordan are just a few former Boys Staters.

The program is an excellent opportunity to showcase speaking and debating skills in a real world setting, as well as a wonderful chance to learn about municipal and local government operations in a true, learn by doing situation.

Congrats on getting to selected to attend Girls State. I hope you will enjoy your experience.

Thank you kindly. I plan to participate in the mock judiciary. I will enjoy the expirience and I plan to take as much as possible from the expirience.

Oh, and thank you for explaining for the forum. :)

Last summer, the Nation senators went tons of places. I know we attended one of the largest Legion posts in the country to have dinner with the members of the Legion, including the American Legion National Commader at the time. Boy's and Girls Nation is really the week that changes a lifetime, if you attend you will laugh when they tell you that but at the end of the week you know it is true, that it shapes you in a way that nothing else can. The Nationers are also split into the 2 parties, Federalists and Nationalists-- and under all these parties you run for national offices, almost everybody that is there has the intention of running for President. At nation, you also tour the National Mall normally on the Monday that you are there. Then on the Wednesday or Thursday you are there you meet with your corresponding Senators and Representatives, and with the time left over you can tour the rest of the Mall, go to the Smithsonian Institutes, or just hang out at the Capital. The highlight of the trip every year though is the tour of the White House. In 2005 and 2006, President Bush was not able to meet the Senators from Boy's/Girl's Nation, but luckily in 2007, this last summer, he was able to. He came in, said a few words to us and took a few group photos and then headed out because he is such a busy man. I highly suggest if you have the chance to attend Boy's or Girl's State that you do so, it may seem pointless at the time, but if you are up for a challenge and enthusiastic about politics (normally debaters are) you should enjoy these programs. If you have any questions about these programs you can PM me about them.

Well, yes that about sums up Girls State. Its a great opportunity. They seperate by gender because the girls and the guys each get one week at the same college in the same dorm, which would be potentilaly problematic at the same time. Lol. So, now that you know what it is, have any of you been? Furthermore, are there programs like this in any of your states?

like he stated earlier, 49 out of the 50 states participate, Hawaii being the only one that does not offer the Boy's/Girl's State programs.

I'm going to Boy's State this year. Should be pretty interesting.

What state will you be representing if you go to Boys Nation?

In 2005 and 2006, President Bush was not able to meet the Senators from Boy's/Girl's Nation, but luckily in 2007, this last summer, he was able to.

In 2005, at least, the President did meet with the Senators at the White House and you are correct, it is a highlight and special opportunity.

Also, for those of you interested in attending who might be worried about conflicts with Institute dates, I know from my son's experience in 2005 that Professor Patterson at the Kentucky Fellows Program and Professors Hoe and Kall at Michigan 7 Week Seniors understand the value of the Boys and Girls State Programs well and DO make arrangements for excused absences for attending the State and Nation program weeks.

I'm going to Boy's State this year. Should be pretty interesting.

So am I, I'm looking forward to it.

What state will you be representing if you go to Boys Nation?

I'm from Texas. I have a feeling I'm going to be surrounded by a bunch of hardcore conservatives... That's going to be interesting.

Furthermore, I'm wondering what kinds of places would still segregate competitions by gender...

in LD, the hockaday lone star round robin is an all-female event

Thats very strange...Do they do a boys round robin too?

in LD, the hockaday lone star round robin is an all-female event