crburk

CEDA Nationals 2008

listen you fucking cunt! why dont you stop reading if you dont like my opinion. im not here to please you. and once again you dont know how to read or else you would of noticed the part where i said i did agree with the RFD. jeez. your just pissed i bet because your one of those people that think every white person is racist. "Amerikka?!" what a fucking dutschebag. if you dont like America then get the fuck out. Also, IS Daria a guy or girls name? She/he is just mad cuz she/he woke up on the wrong side of her/his mother this morning lol! pull your pants up; im done with you!

maturity check, sil'vous plait.

How about this...

Can we get back to the main subject that we were talking about instead of calling each other "cunts"?

there is no other point to this thread anymore cuz the shit for CEDA has already been said so now we just have to spew as many hateful and cruel words at each as we can so that we can uphold the binary lol. the word cunt is funny and i intend to use it everytime when speaking to that Daria transexual.

• Downvote 1

Just ignore the troll, and eventually he'll tire of it. Responses are the payoff he seeks...

In the meantime, if I may be forgiven for injecting some factual information into the conversation: Towson CL went 6-0 in elims, and unless my count is off they went 20-6 on ballots in elims (13-2 heading into finals). Unless one is willing to make assumptions about how CEDA Nats functions that I don't think anyone here is making, doesn't this suggest that their arguments must have at least some merit? Ladies and gentlemen of the jury, the burden is on the prosecution to show that they do not... ;)

there is no other point to this thread anymore cuz the shit for CEDA has already been said so now we just have to spew as many hateful and cruel words at each as we can so that we can uphold the binary lol. the word cunt is funny and i intend to use it everytime when speaking to that Daria transexual.

then use it in a funny context.

However, i am still waiting for a response to how "black/white aesthetics" has a real-world application when the real-world uses minority individualism against itself (if you rap you must be guilty of a crime, etc)...

Unless one is willing to make assumptions about how CEDA Nats functions that I don't think anyone here is making

I'm willing to make some assumptions about how CEDA nats functions...suffice it to say that the judging pool is more "conducive" to these types of arguments than, say, the judging pool at the NDT.

You are a little shit, you know more about evaluateing the round than Jason fucking Russel and Malcom Gordon? Shut the fuck up

You are a dumbshit. The reason there are only white judges is that debate is stuck inside of the notions they kritk, what the fuck is confuseing about that? There alt doesn't solve because there argument is accurate? Wow, nice press there, there argument is clearly that white people are bad rather than the ideology of white supremacy. They hate white kids, and want to kill them :rolleyes:

See the hatred inside that person? its amazing. lol. ahhh, the debate community is so DIVERSE. "you assfuck. thats a fucking stupid thing to say." or "stupid kansas debaters." or my personal favorite, "shut the fuck up cuz your dumb." Its amazing how your all trying to ignore the racist Daria but you can find time to call me juvenile lol. I think that does prove Townsons arg true. Alot of you get on here and just try to piss on people if they say somthing that doesnt "jive" with what you think <coughDaria>! Well i think people like that deserve to be struck back. I hope they were all beaten as children so that they have atleast some excuse for their actions. So please do not try to make this seem like it is my fault because the previous threads prove otherwise. Violence doesnt solve anything unless you kill the person. And if Daria just so happen to get hit by a bus crossing the street or somthing, i wouldnt shed a tear lol!

• Downvote 1

never! your ageist rhetoric offends me. what is it to be a juvenile?

Fighting against ageism yet you think its ok to call someone a "cunt" or making fun of them as a "transexual."

Hmmmm..... Maybe that's why Towson was capable of doing well at CEDA and you...welll...

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1

???? An elim record can't end in a "2," can it? ;)

There are 8 prelims at CEDA. They went 6-2 in the prelims.

then use it in a funny context.

However, i am still waiting for a response to how "black/white aesthetics" has a real-world application when the real-world uses minority individualism against itself (if you rap you must be guilty of a crime, etc)...

I have never seen Towson debate and I do not intend to speak for them. However, it seems silly to say that their "black/white aesthetics" must have a real world application in the way that you describe it. Clearly, they tailor their performance to the debate round. Kagan doesn't talk at 400 words per minute and speak only in terms of "time frame, probability, magnitude, and turns the case." Similarly, it seems reasonable to suggest that Towson's "black/white aesthetics" argument might have a real-world impact on the debate community. That doesn't necessarily mean it is the best political method for communication under every single circumstance.

There are 8 prelims at CEDA. They went 6-2 in the prelims.
I know this. What I actually wrote earlier, though (and which someone else erroneously tried to "correct"), is that they went 6-0 in ELIMS, which they did (triples, doubles, octos, quarters, semis, finals). Thanks for playing, though... ;)

I'm willing to make some assumptions about how CEDA nats functions...suffice it to say that the judging pool is more "conducive" to these types of arguments than, say, the judging pool at the NDT.

Mr. Rob Mills why are we stirring up so much gossip and childish ad homien on cross-ex...? even if the judges are more conducive to our arguments in CEDA what does that say about the other judges who arent? why must we be held to traditions that are not conducive to everyone? LETS BE CLEAR PEOPLE we are not calling any one RACIST none of our prelim or elim rounds were there any articulation of the sort..People have every right not to vote for us that says nothing about the person they are unless they flat out say "i dont like what u do or say and thas why i vote"...im pretty sure any other "traditional debater" would be upset as well. Our purpose is to make people feel uncomfortable to confront issues that they dont have to deal with on a daily basis like a confrontation of their white privilege...i wonder why Mr. Mills is so hung up on protecting his and being so defensive? Then again i would be upset if i LOST in Doubles....on a 3-0 to Dartmouth...yea i also dont see you here at the NDT....oh well

• Upvote 1

I have never seen Towson debate and I do not intend to speak for them. However, it seems silly to say that their "black/white aesthetics" must have a real world application in the way that you describe it. Clearly, they tailor their performance to the debate round. Kagan doesn't talk at 400 words per minute and speak only in terms of "time frame, probability, magnitude, and turns the case." Similarly, it seems reasonable to suggest that Towson's "black/white aesthetics" argument might have a real-world impact on the debate community. That doesn't necessarily mean it is the best political method for communication under every single circumstance.

by all means, someone who attacks the real-world applications of debate should induce alternatives that would be acceptable in the real-world, especially when such arguments are inclined to indict practices that effect people outside of debate rounds.

I think that it is necessary for someone to to produce at least a defense for that.

Why doesn't Towson answer my argument...

Mr. Rob Mills why are we stirring up so much gossip and childish ad homien on cross-ex...? even if the judges are more conducive to our arguments in CEDA what does that say about the other judges who arent? why must we be held to traditions that are not conducive to everyone? LETS BE CLEAR PEOPLE we are not calling any one RACIST none of our prelim or elim rounds were there any articulation of the sort..People have every right not to vote for us that says nothing about the person they are unless they flat out say "i dont like what u do or say and thas why i vote"...im pretty sure any other "traditional debater" would be upset as well. Our purpose is to make people feel uncomfortable to confront issues that they dont have to deal with on a daily basis like a confrontation of their white privilege...i wonder why Mr. Mills is so hung up on protecting his and being so defensive? Then again i would be upset if i LOST in Doubles....on a 3-0 to Dartmouth...yea i also dont see you here at the NDT....oh well

I don't understand why you don't link to this argument as well...

You are still an academic collegiate debater who takes 'advantage' of the very foundation of how the academy came into being.

Like i said, from debate you seem radical..in the real world, you're just another whitey playing the sympathy card. To people who HAVE been on the object of REAL racism (White cops going after you because it's part of your street culture, like i said before), you're just another pathetic attempt to get 'white education'.

Remember, you don't change the system in the long run..it's you the conforms to the system...

• Downvote 1

First of all, big congrats to both Towson winning CEDA and also the second team who made a great showing in the elimination rounds.

Based off my round in prelims as well as what I saw in elims, the argument is that current debate upholds a white aesthetic, where we don't just lose our agency, we operate in technocratic terms that prevent us from becoming good policy makers, activists, individuals, etc.

They think debate should be about liberating the oppressed and that we should primarily be fighting white opression. They advocated the black aesthetic where it was more about our personal subjectivity, rap music, and incorporated things into the debate that wern't just spewed newspaper clippings or academics.

The round in prelims I had against them was a bit different from elimination; against me, they played the Road to CEDA video (and yes, that is only the introduction. the rest of it had them discussing white aesthetics, reading some Mills evidence, and a discussion of the somatic norm, eurocentrism, and affirming a black aesthetic.) They then made a claim that they were part of a movement, that seeing a black person win CEDA nationals would help promote inclusion. This argument should not be framed as the crux of their advocacy; it's just another reason to vote for them. They do provide many intellectual reasons to affirm their project (using the term project because I don't really know what they call themselves, sorry if thats offensive) which is why they grabbed so many debates.

A lot of the people bad mouthing them are totally mischaracterizing it. I know before my round I felt kinda awkward walking into the debate. I won't lie- I fellt before the round that what they were doing was total bull shit. But when you interact with them and actually listen to what they have to say, they do bring some very interesting things to the table and beg some pretty important questions about both society and debate.

Again, congrats and good luck to Towson at the NDT.

The team you debated in prelims if they showed a movie was not the team that won the tournament. They do both make black aesthetic arguments but in different ways.

Stop conflating the multiple successful teams we have.

AS to the "WHY HASNT TOWSON ANSWERED MY ARGUMENT YET PART" The team That Won dayvon and deven are at the ndt right now...when people get home you are more likely to get a response.

Like i said, from debate you seem radical..in the real world, you're just another whitey playing the sympathy card. To people who HAVE been on the object of REAL racism (White cops going after you because it's part of your street culture, like i said before), you're just another pathetic attempt to get 'white education'.

HAHAHA Do you even know who deven is?

HAHAHA Do you even know who deven is?

that's the characterization that he got from 30-50 year old black males living in a homeless shelter...

now, if you want to attack the warrant to my argument (you're a collegiate debater at one of the biggest public schools in maryland, and your saying the system YOU support [the academia] is bad) i might understand. But again, i believe this is just another example of playing to the cards of debate and not providing an actual alternative to the problem (racism doesn't exist JUST in 'debate' in case you didn't know).

Even the name's you all give it "black aesthetics/white aesthietics" is rather marginalizing in the degree that it omits other forms of discrimination in debate (Texas Austin anyone? Fullerton?). Even Devon admits that his argument only targets specific problems in debate:

But what made the duo's achievement not only remarkable but groundbreaking was that they had turned debate traditions upside down deciding not to argue their chosen topic -- whether the United States "should constructively engage with a Middle East country." Instead, in a direct challenge to the judges and the system under which they operate, the pair made their central premise the notion that, as Cooper said, "the problems of exclusion in the debate community need to be addressed first."

By that, Cooper said, he meant the "racism, sexism and homophobia" that pervade the kind of tournament at which they were speaking. "We have a responsibility to talk about these things," he said. "We talk about racism the most because it's the one we're most affected by.

That can be found here

To me, it seems that he is only fixing yet another symptom of the problem and not the disease itself.

• Downvote 1

The team you debated in prelims if they showed a movie was not the team that won the tournament. They do both make black aesthetic arguments but in different ways.

AS to the "WHY HASNT TOWSON ANSWERED MY ARGUMENT YET PART" The team That Won dayvon and deven are at the ndt right now...when people get home you are more likely to get a response.

Once again, it doesn't mean you can't clarify the arguments for those who didn't attend.

Stop chasing away your allies dude. I said their approach was different. Yes, there are two teams, and yes, they do make highly similar arguments. I didn't watch enough or compete against them in out rounds so I can't necessarily speak for them outside of my personal experience in prelims.

I'll clarify since you are so ardent against doing that for yourself: The team I hit in prelims is NOT the team that won CEDA, although they employed SIMILAR BUT DIFFERENT arguments.

Why does this sound familiar? Maybe because it was in my original post? Who knows.

Stop chasing away your allies dude. I said their approach was different. Yes, there are two teams, and yes, they do make highly similar arguments. I didn't watch enough or compete against them in out rounds so I can't necessarily speak for them outside of my personal experience in prelims.

I'll clarify since you are so ardent against doing that for yourself: The team I hit in prelims is NOT the team that won CEDA, although they employed SIMILAR BUT DIFFERENT arguments.

Why does this sound familiar? Maybe because it was in my original post? Who knows.

Sorry, my bad...shouldnt read cross x during prep time....you are right