crburk

CEDA Nationals 2008

Apparently last year the final round could be watched online live. Does anyone know if that will happen again and where this link would be posted?

Link doens't work. I don't think they're broadcasting it like they did last year.

Most people mishandle performance and go for theory and prove the performance args to begin with. Its easier just to engage on them on the substantive arguments they make.

Most people mishandle performance and go for theory and prove the performance args to begin with. Its easier just to engage on them on the substantive arguments they make.

I almost guarantee the quarters round with the fort wasn't a theory debate. I bet it was a damn good round.

The break round run that this team made to make it to where it is at is pretty impressive.

I'll let people who really know what was going on talk more about, but their argument has to deal with the difference between the white aesthetic and the black aesthetic. They argue that debate is mired in the white aesthetic. Charles Mills was important in developing this argument.

I'll let people who really know what was going on talk more about, but their argument has to deal with the difference between the white aesthetic and the black aesthetic. They argue that debate is mired in the white aesthetic. Charles Mills was important in developing this argument.

Can you elaborate a little more. I'm not clear as to what exactly about debate is white aestheticism. (I wasn't at CEDA) What do they mean by the black aesthetic as well?

I almost guarantee the quarters round with the fort wasn't a theory debate. I bet it was a damn good round.

The break round run that this team made to make it to where it is at is pretty impressive.

from what i know, it was closer than what people thought it was. the fort ftw!

perhaps here? http://commweb.fullerton.edu/

so everyone too pussy to impact turn?

if only synergy was allowed to debate at college tournaments...those silly ones who hate our beloved policy debate could never handle his stunning exclusion good 2nr

I'm pretty sure that most of the Towson people love this activity more than a lot of us. I mean, I don't see most of us spending our lives making sure that debate thrives and that whole groups of under represented people can partake in this activity. When people say shit like "they argue debate bad" I get really pissed. That's just the dumbest most anti-intellectual ass-backward way of looking at it. Protecting the status quo hardly counts as loving this activity.

• Downvote 1

Props to Towson! That's an aswesome accomplishment! And more Props to them for coming out and having a spectacular run (there's a movie in there), an that said, you have to give some props to Louisville and Fullerton - they paved the road for Towson to walk on. If it's wasn't for their attempts the same, last night might not have happened. Now, I'll be curious to see how the NDT receives this argument this weekend...could be the double!

Townsons link args are so generic. itsa just that white supremacy is the basis most institutions in the US including debate. The impact is that it holds up imperialsism and the alt is we need to embrace the revgolutionary black aesthetic. After seeing them debate a few times i think the arg is good but they sure as hell concede alot of args to win htat much.

Protecting the status quo hardly counts as loving this activity.
How about advocating for quality standards in argumentation? Does that count? ;)

How about advocating for quality standards in argumentation? Does that count? ;)

What Towson does isnt relly my bag but I dont really understand why what they do isnt "quality" argumentation- they just won CEDA nats. When was the last time you did that?

• Upvote 1

What Towson does isnt relly my bag but I dont really understand why what they do isnt "quality" argumentation- they just won CEDA nats. When was the last time you did that?
Why do you assume that my question is a slam on Towson or on their arguments? Project much?

Why do you assume that my question is a slam on Towson or on their arguments? Project much?

If I misunderstood you then I'm sorry sir.

If I misunderstood you then I'm sorry sir.
No harm, no foul. I was only trying to make the point that there may be more than one way to express one's devotion to the activity...

To the poster who says that Towson drops a lot of arguments to have won as much as they did I think you clearly did not understand the entire purpose of the argument.

Their argument is (partially) from my understanding having debated it before that the view of debate that some small technical drop equating to absolute truth and round winning is part of the problem with the way that judges evaluate debates in the first place. Their argument is literally for a different aesthetic or way of viewing debates to be taken up in the first place. So it seems illogical to say that their arguments aren't very good when evaluated within the system they critique in the first place.

And furthermore I'd just like to say that even if your observation is correct and they aren't very good because they drop lots of things (which obviously I think is highly doubtful to begin with) it seems that they are the better debaters still for being able to focus many many judges on their own arguments outweighing those dropped arguments. At the end of the day Towson managed to effectively convince enough judges that I am sure were capable of understanding drops that those parts of the debate were not important enough to lose.

And I am sure that if this team were to lose rounds at the NDT soon, that you would take that as a sign that your assessment of their debate goodness was in fact correct. However, even if they don't convince everyone in the community (or haven't at previous tournaments) I think that is no indication of the level they debated at this weekend. I would give my congratulations here, and add that their performance at prior or future tournaments can in no way change the fact that they won CEDA nationals which is the most inclusive tournament of the year allowing every college program who wants the ability to compete.

• Downvote 1

I agree with Ross - we've both debated Towson, and no, Towson doesn't do a perfect line-by-line in your face kind of style, nor do they try to. Part of their charm to judges is that they can take a wholistic view of rounds and explain things very well without the need to "answer" every single argument on the flow. And like Ross said, part of what they critique is our style of debate. If you just try and do traditional debate against them and say "they dropped this, they didn't answer my number 3 subpoint a" you're going to lose.

Much much much congratulations to Towson, obviously a HUGE victory for them, and I'm sure they worked incredibly hard to get there.

So were they still running the black aesthetic at CEDA?