Sign in to follow this  
The Hot Dog

Nebraska memories 2007-08

Most Underrated debater: Aspec

Funniest thing said in round (quote and person) you were in: We Can't leave Africa, a handicapped society on its own. They need to evolve with our help - Fremont Kid

Hottest debater:Ashley

Favorite judge (and why): Pretty much all of them....

Debater with the most potential: Ryan/Shane

Best partnership: Ryan and Shane

Most Untopical case: Specters!

Best negative position: Heart Of Darkness Colonialism

Funniest off case position you saw: Although i'd prefer not to answer, Bartelby

Funniest thing you stumbled upon while researching: UUH dildos shit....

Favorite tourney: Maine East

least favorite tourney: Skutt lol

Scariest Debater: Mike... scary=Creepy

Funniest Debater/Coach/Judge: David/Royers/Dylan

Best non-debate experience/event at a debate tourney this year: its illegal

Worst Strategic Choice (in round): Not answering the Double bind...

Most likely to be a debate coach: Brittany

Most likely to graduate and judge ALL the time: Keri!

Senior you’ll miss the most:All of them.... Most notably; David Frenzel, Aspec, Keri, Brittany, Lisa and most of all Ashley Morgan.

• Upvote 1

Most Underrated debater: Pat

Funniest thing said in round (quote and person) you were in: "Condoms have ruined the cultural significance of great sex." - Dan Fitzgerald.

Hottest debater: Lozl

Favorite judge (and why): Dana Christensen, he always makes really well though-out and well-explained decisions.

Debater with the most potential: Our novice, Dan Wilcox. I'm biased, but I think he could be pretty good next year.

Best partnership: Nick/Zack from Westside

Most Untopical case: Fremont's "withdraw all aid" case. I think our biotech case was pretty untopical, too.

Best negative position: Compassion Fatigue. It seems to be able to win rounds even when not mentioned in the 2NR. I guess descriptions of suffering really do make us dumb... I mean "numb." Our Farm Bill politics scenario was also pretty good; it's probably been my favorite DA ever.

Funniest off case position you saw: Empire.

Funniest thing you stumbled upon while researching: I found this at camp.

Favorite tourney: State was fun, though kind of awkward.

Least favorite tourney: Westside. That tournament hates me. Horrible draw + other issues = bad.

Scariest Debater: Jenna from MS because her rebuttals are really really loud.

Funniest Debater/Coach/Judge: Nick/Don't know/Alex

Best non-debate experience/event at a debate tourney this year: I probably shouldn't say.

Worst Strategic Choice (in round): Forgetting to answer extra T.. at nat quals.

Most likely to be a debate coach: Brittany, or possibly David Frenzel.

Most likely to graduate and judge ALL the time: Lisa

Senior you’ll miss the most: Lisa, the Westside people, and Mike from Fremont even though he kind of scares me sometimes. It's been a fun year.

• Upvote 1

Most Underrated debater: Little Kappy

Funniest thing said in round (quote and person) you were in: Anything said by that Iowa novice team against Ian/Dave at Skutt

Hottest debater: Chewey

Favorite judge (and why): Scott Wike, on account of him being a lock for a win my novice year back in '99.

Debater with the most potential: Scrubs

Best partnership: Scrubs

Most Untopical case: Ban All Aid

Best negative position: China Disad

Funniest off case position you saw: Dildo Disad

Funniest thing you stumbled upon while researching: French beating pirates ... first time I ever read about the French winning a battle against anyone since Napoleon.

Favorite tourney: Nat Quals

Least favorite tourney: State (I'm looking at you, Grassmeyer)

Scariest Debater: Frenzel

Funniest Debater/Coach/Judge: Ian / Dana / McKibben

Best non-debate experience/event at a debate tourney this year: Getting tackled by the Hamburgler - brings back memories ...

Worst Strategic Choice (in round): Going for ASPEC.

Most likely to graduate and judge ALL the time: Ian

• Upvote 1

Most Underrated debater: Aspec/Frenzel -- upsetting Ian & David TWICE at State was a pretty big accomplishment.

Funniest thing said in round (quote and person) you were in: Josh sticking his head under the elmo and literal tag-team CX. They're not quotes but that round was pretty fucking hilarious.

Favorite judge (and why): Almost all of them. One thing Nebraska has going for it is seriously awesome judging. If I had to pick one judge that we saw a lot and that we could always trust to make a good, clear, helpful decision, I'd go with Dylan.

Debater with the most potential: Ryan/Shane

Best partnership: I'm not sure about best partnership, but Keri was definitely the best partner. I wouldn't have done nearly as well without Keri, and I can only hope my college partner will be as awesome as her. <3

Most Untopical case: Withdrawl all aid

Best negative position: Nietzsche :-)

Funniest off case position you saw: Dildos PIC

Funniest thing you stumbled upon while researching: The dildo as a simulacrum via it being a copy of a lesbian penis, which does not exist. That or any of the websites we cut cards from that had ridiculous names like "discreetromance.com"

Favorite tourney: Dowling

least favorite tourney: Skutt...boooooring

Scariest Debater: I don't think any of you are really that scary?

Funniest Debater/Coach/Judge: Ian/Wike/Dana

Best non-debate experience/event at a debate tourney this year: The rides in the policy van were pretty awesome. Good music, good company, and those weird comic books

Worst Strategic Choice (in round): Folding in the Greenhill round...

Most likely to be a debate coach: Keri

Most likely to graduate and judge ALL the time: Keri

Senior you’ll miss the most: Since I'm a senior, I'm pretty much going to miss everybody. I'll miss all of the Millard South kids the most, since I've been debating with them for three or four years each and have known most of them even longer.

Most Underrated debater: I think his name is Andy or Adam from LH. the MS kids are all calling him aspec, though i've never learned why. the kid came outta nowhere and looked like a real life varsity debater at the end of the year.

Funniest thing said in round (quote and person) you were in: "well, at least we know he's not gonna run baudrilliard" - dana, shortly after the 1AC in finals at westside than involved 7:30 of baudrilliard preempts and 0:00 of advantages. immediately following dana's comment, the 1NC read baudrilliard.

Hottest debater: yikes. danger will robinson. danger.

Favorite judge (and why): sam timme. he's brilliant, and my homie.

Debater with the most potential: This is a strange question. in terms of "rising star" sorta potential, ya gotta give the shout out to ryan and shane. however, i don't want to exclude ian and david from having a lot of amount of potential simply because they're already doing well.

Best partnership: lias and ashley. :D

Most Untopical case: the gatekeeper.

Best negative position: Heart Of Darkness Colonialism

Funniest off case position you saw: bartelby

Funniest thing you stumbled upon while researching: i didn't do any research this year. it was awesome.

Favorite tourney: westside, despite how miserable it made sam. i watched pretty good rounds, got reminded of how much i'm not in the marines, got to see some peoples i hadn't seen in awhile, and socialized in omaha in the off hours.

least favorite tourney: blake. fucking car.

Scariest Debater: bruce banner.

Funniest Debater/Coach/Judge: ian/dana/aj

Best non-debate experience/event at a debate tourney this year: socializing at the richardson's after westside.

Worst Strategic Choice (in round): finals at westside. see above.

Most likely to be a debate coach:

Most likely to graduate and judge ALL the time:

i think these two questions are dumb.

Senior you’ll miss the most: carly and ashley. granted, they didn't debate together as a team this year but i still saw both of them around and they're the last team i coached/the only seniors i really knew personally this year.

Most Underrated debater: I think his name is Andy or Adam from LH. the MS kids are all calling him aspec, though i've never learned why. the kid came outta nowhere and looked like a real life varsity debater at the end of the year.

His name's Andy Specht and I don't know exactly where it came from but someone (Ian?) called him that and it stuck because Britt and I could never agree on whether his name was Andy or Alan (I won, :))

Most Underrated debater: Andy from LH

Funniest thing said in round (quote and person) you were in: "Eat ketchup, stop diarrhea" - Ian judging novice finals at Squashfest and again at Millard North.

Favorite judge (and why): Either Josh or Brent. They both make good decisions and they joke around with the us during rounds which makes me feel more relaxed and in turn produces better speeches.

Debater with the most potential: Shane from MW

Best partnership: Nick/Zack from Westside - they're always a lot of fun to debate and be around :)

Most Untopical case: Withdraw all aid

Best negative position: T. Fuck Nietzsche.

Funniest off case position you saw: Dildos PIC

Funniest thing you stumbled upon while researching: The picture and caption that accompanies this article.

Favorite tourney: Dowling

least favorite tourney: Westside. Our draw may not have been as sucky as Ian/David's but I hate Landmines ><

Scariest Debater: Ian and David are both really scary when they're pissed...

Funniest Debater/Coach/Judge: Ian/Wike/Josh

Best non-debate experience/event at a debate tourney this year: CARIBOU COFFEE IN MINNEAPOLIS. :) Yummy.

Worst Strategic Choice (in round): Going for too much in the 2AR in state finals and Maine East octafinals. ><

Most likely to be a debate coach: Me/Brittany

Most likely to graduate and judge ALL the time: Me.

Senior you’ll miss the most: All of the seniors :( Mostly Lisa, Ashley, Nick and Zack.

Just to clear up the confusion... Aspec is Andy Specht from Lincoln High. The "t" in his last name is silent. After I learned this factoid I began calling him "Aspec".

Most Underrated debater: Jenna (She went to Westside Mav and owned)

Funniest thing said in round (quote and person) you were in: The entirety of my round 4 at State

Hottest debater:

Favorite judge (and why): Chris Young or AJ, sitting on a panel with them kicks ass.

Debater with the most potential: Chris and Dylan

Best partnership: Keri and Brittany, Ian and David, or Chris and Dylan

Most Untopical case: Withdrawal all aid from Africa (loved the case, but it was anti-topical)

Best negative position: Honestly, I don't know. I was in novice, PF and LD most of the year.

Funniest off case position you saw: The PIC for Westside's Districts case

Funniest thing you stumbled upon while researching: Definitely the "phallic objects" stuff.

Favorite tourney: Dowling or State

least favorite tourney: Skutt, although the morning break was nice

Scariest Debater: That one novice from Millard North with the long hair and beard.

Funniest Debater/Coach/Judge: Fitzgerald/Royers/Chris Young

Best non-debate experience/event at a debate tourney this year: Playing AOE III and killing Natives during a colonialism round at LNE.

Worst Strategic Choice (in round): Not saying "we solve AIDs," during a round with an AIDs case and a DA with the impact of AIDs

Most likely to graduate and judge ALL the time: Keri or Brittany

Senior you’ll miss the most: All of them.

On a side note, great job to everyone who competed this year.

For those returning: Get to a camp and we'll see you next year.

For those graduating or leaving the circuit: Good luck in your future endeavors! The circuit won't be the same without you. Don't be afraid to drop in and say hi.

Most Underrated debater: Jenna (MS) or Ryan K (Norfolk)

Funniest thing said in round (quote and person) you were in: "Is a Banana considered 'penis shaped'"? ~Nick Tanner and Jenna's reply, "No, it's banana shaped!" State penis shaped objects CP round agaisnt Sex Toys aff.

Favorite judge (and why): Either AJ or Cole Williams. AJ is super crazy and always has positive feedback. He can tell you what you should have done, could have done, and always keeps everything very constructive. Cole on the other hand, doesn't give a shit of what you think when he talks. He'll tell you what he thinks, which is really cool even if it isn't constructive. If something doesn't make sense IE: gender violence with lesbians in Sex Toys aff, he'll point it out to you and ask you what you were thinking. He always has really cool, crazy ideas and he will be greatly missed on the circuit.

Debater with the most potential: Dan Wilcox (Norfolk) Shane (MW)

Best partnership: Nick/Zack from Westside - They always work really well together and have so much fun. I don't think there are any better partners on the circuit.

Most Untopical case: Withdraw all aid and Patents

Best negative position: Borders or Custerfuck of Shit was a favorite for awhile.

Funniest off case position you saw: Dildos PIC or stoicism

Funniest thing you stumbled upon while researching: Everything while creating a dump of shit for Westside's Sex Toys aff.

Favorite tourney: KCKCC kinda...but probably Lincoln East or Westside

least favorite tourney: Every tourney that Me + partner (or myself) got passed over by a MS team. OR Blake

Scariest Debater: Ashley

Funniest Debater/Coach/Judge: Nick/Dana/Zack B.

Best non-debate experience/event at a debate tourney this year: playing egyptian rat fuck at state. Or illegal things

Worst Strategic Choice (in round): Not answering the Kritik that wasn't in the 2nr. Or not making Chris Young flow when I answered T that wasn't in the 2nr!!! I still answered it, Chris!

Most likely to be a debate coach: Brittany and Nick

Most likely to graduate and judge ALL the time: Since people already know that I'm coming back next year, I will not pick myself. Probably Nick and Zach.

Senior you’ll miss the most: Nick and Zach. Pretty much all of the MS crew as well, yes Ashley Morgan is included in that.

Most likely to be a debate coach: Brittany, or possibly David Frenzel.

id consider it.

Scariest Debater: Frenzel

I'm not that scary... am I?

Funniest thing said in round (quote and person): every time andy burped in round and said something along the lines of "oh my gosh! im so sorry, that was horrible."

Hottest debater: Brittany. <3

Favorite judge (and why): Dylan

Debater with the most potential: Shane A. mad skillz.

Best partnership: Brittany/Keri or Me/Aspec.

Most Untopical case: Ban All Aid (way to misuse Marx... I think I went crazy when we hit that case at state, and I heard "contention 2: Das Kapital")

Best negative position: Agamben, Nietzsche, or Colonialism. 3 way tie.

Funniest off case position you saw: hmm... never saw anything hilarious. But there are stories.

Funniest thing you stumbled upon while researching: really awkward cartoons on a communist website (when I was looking through anti-capitalist websites whilst working on the neolib aids case)

Favorite tourney: State

Least favorite tourney: East.

Scariest Debater: Ian reading the The Theatre of War K. damn.

Funniest Debater/Coach/Judge: Zach/Goodbrake or Brent/Dylan

Best non-debate experience/event at a debate tourney this year: the strange conversations we had in the car on the way to Blake

Worst Strategic Choice (in round): dropping the bottom perm at state finals in the 1nr. OMG

Most likely to be a debate coach: Keri

Most likely to graduate and judge ALL the time: no idea. wont say myself, cuz ill be debating for missouri state

Senior you’ll miss the most: Nick, Zach (lots of love). [insert millard south senior here], and andy of course when i leave the state.

• Downvote 1

Most Underrated debater: Dylan

Funniest thing said in round (quote and person) you were in: I'm actually not allowed to speak of it, but alex knows

Hottest debater:IDK

Favorite judge (and why): Alex

Debater with the most potential: Shane and Ryan

Best partnership: Ryan and Shane

Most Untopical case: Our withdrawal aid case... HEHE

Best negative position: Nietche good job brittany and keri

Funniest off case position you saw: Dildo CP

Funniest thing you stumbled upon while researching: I really don't know

Favorite tourney: Westside... liked the competition

least favorite tourney: Millard North... Stupid Westside Exo

Scariest Debater: Mike He will always be the scariest

Funniest Debater/Coach/Judge: IDK/IDK/Alex

Best non-debate experience/event at a debate tourney this year: none

Worst Strategic Choice (in round): Deciding to drop the da's which were key to killing solvency... Westside

Most likely to be a debate coach: Tom

Most likely to graduate and judge ALL the time: Tom

Senior you’ll miss the most: Elizabeth, and Tom, I will miss all of them, but I guess I had a better connection to them the most

Scariest Debater: Ashley

Scariest Debater: Ian reading the The Theatre of War K. damn.

Scariest Debater: Ian and David are both really scary when they're pissed...

Scariest Debater: Jenna from MS because her rebuttals are really really loud.

wear that shit as a badge of honor.