Sign in to follow this  
X Spike

Evolution will solve extinction

I remember hearing about a card a while back saying that even in the case of human extinction, evolution will solve and humanity or a species similar to it will re-emerge. Does anyone have this card? i'd trade a whole file for it.

Chris, this only time i have heard a card like this is as an AT Malthus, saying that we well evolve/adapt before the cruch comes, so check your Malthus files and you'll be good.

This argument is strongest with regard to say, disease. If you can prove that at least 1 male and 1 female are immune to the disease, then that means even if everyone else dies, the future of the human race is immune to the disease.

Even then, it's still only Defence - but its good against negs or affs that try to tell you that "because everyone dies, extinction has infinite probability"

disease can never be a source of extinction in the human race.

What the malthusians dont understand i think is that evolution takes a while where as nuclear war and extinction could very well happen in a few days. Im not too knowledgable of malthus but i dont understand how the "evolution will solve extinction" card would ever make sense. maybe if someone explained for me i wouldnt be so dumb when it comes to this.

disease can never be a source of extinction in the human race.
never say never, tell me that mutations/pathogens that are a super-fatal virulence can't kill every living thing (think I am Legend).

never say never, tell me that mutations/pathogens that are a super-fatal virulence can't kill every living thing (think I am Legend).

I'll let other people rant about this, but it is much more likely that the sun explodes first, or that everyone in the next generation is born with a third ear. The diversity of humans is just amazing, and extinction is a *very* powerful word.

• Downvote 1

its saying that even if all humans and even most animals went extinct, that in millions of years, even from cockroaches and rats left after a nyclear holocaust, that evolution would recreate biodiversity and a species extremely identical to humans would emerge. Or that in a scenario of only human extinction, like war, monkeys and chimps would evolve to replace us. I'll scheck my malthus.

• Downvote 1

I'll let other people rant about this, but it is much more likely that the sun explodes first, or that everyone in the next generation is born with a third ear. The diversity of humans is just amazing, and extinction is a *very* powerful word.

yeah diversity is amazing, but diseases kill off gene diversity... pretty soon we might all have the same dna and we can all be wiped out by a single mutation of AIDS. i've done some research on this subject, and i can guarantee that the top experts who write these cards actually agree with me

This argument is strongest with regard to say, disease. If you can prove that at least 1 male and 1 female are immune to the disease, then that means even if everyone else dies, the future of the human race is immune to the disease.

Even then, it's still only Defence - but its good against negs or affs that try to tell you that "because everyone dies, extinction has infinite probability"

...if this is the argument you're going for I think you're only putting yourself at a disadvantage. If death tolls are so high from disease to hypothetically leave only 2 individuals standing, a lot of bad shit would be happening outside of your vacuum scenario, such as economic collapse, and a breakdown of hegemony, NATO, etc. Teams that aren't going with this strategy are either arguing systemic impacts come first, in which case your no risk of extinction wouldn't matter, or that AIDS is on the brink of tubing the immunity of the human species (don't know how great that evidence is, but teams read it).

its saying that even if all humans and even most animals went extinct, that in millions of years, even from cockroaches and rats left after a nyclear holocaust, that evolution would recreate biodiversity and a species extremely identical to humans would emerge. Or that in a scenario of only human extinction, like war, monkeys and chimps would evolve to replace us. I'll scheck my malthus.

I guess nuclear war is OK then, because people similar to us will evolve in 3 trillion years after the fact.

NO IMPACT: DISEASE WILL NOT CAUSE HUMAN EXTINCTION.

Les U. Knight 2007

(Eco-Extremist http://www.vhemt.org/death.htm)

Will new viruses, wars, famine, and toxic waste help the cause of human extinction?

No. Epidemics actually strengthen a species if enough of them are living to have an adequate survival rate. With over six billion of us, there is no virus that could get us all. A 99.99% die off would still leave 650,000 naturally-immune survivors to replicate, and in less than 50,000 years we could be right back where we are now. For any disease to simply hold the human population where it is, more than 200,000 of us would have to succumb to it each day. Suffering and death cannot help but hurt.

When I think qualified I think of an "eco-extremist" from the Voluntary Human Extinction Movement who assumes there's only one disease in the world... :rolleyes:

No we would most definitely be screwed due to lack of genetic diversity. The incest needed to propagate the species for the third generation would cause recessive alleles to be expressed likely leading to severe genetic defects.

K THE SHIT OUT OF THEIR REPRESENTATIONS OF EXTINCTION. WHY WAIST YOUR TIME TRYING TO PLAY DEFENSE TO THEIR EXTINCTION CLAIMS? EVEN IF YOU"RE NOT DOWN WITH THE K THEN YOU SHOULD BE ABLE TO MAKE HALF-ASSED DEFENSIVE CLAIMS AND INVEST YOUR TIME IN WINNING THE TIMEFRAME DEBATE. THAT SORT OF CALCULUS WILL GET YOU A WHOLE LOT FARTHER THAN CARDS FROM "ECO-EXTREMISTS."

yeah, that makes more sense. I don't really have a need for this card anymore, so i'm not trading for it. But i have new threads in the Ev. trading forum, check it out.