Sign in to follow this  
Jacob Zax

Gender Counter-K

I know this was a rather popular argument 4 or 5 years ago. Does anyone have a file they'd be willing to give away or trade with some of those arguments? Hit me up with a pm if you're interested. Thanks for all the help.

You're going to have to elaborate on what your idea of a "Gender Counter-K" is. Because as it is, there are countless authors who would criticize a gender K, even assuming a gender K is a stable concept to begin with... (it's not. Thousands of authors write about gender and many have very different approaches...)

Sorry for the confusion. As i understand the argument, it was a position taken by the 2AC that we have to solve for gender discrimination and the subjugation of women before anything elese. If anybody has any more information or can shed some light on the subject it would be much appreciated.

Well, it'd help to have specific internal links based off plan action.

But the debate you'll want to research is essentialism good/bad. Some authors argue in favor of monolithic categories like "masculine" and "feminine" and feel fairly comfortable with those as stable identities. These authors occassionally associate certain characteristics as being either masculine and feminine (like competition, domination, etc. as masculine). These are most of your "traditional" feminist authors, like MacKinnon.

Others (Butler's an obvious one) do not see masculine and feminine as stable categories at all, and offer a variety of criticisms of "traditional" feminist politics.

Depending on how a debate goes down, you could argue either. If you're running a security-type aff (nuclear war impacts, etc.), and they read an argument like Fem IR, you'll want to read essentialism bad in response. On the other hand, if you're reading a patriarchy advantage (like off the gag rule, or whatever else), and they read an essentialism bad author like Butler, you'll probably want to say essentializing female identity can be politically valid, etc.

Sign in to follow this