Dinosaurio

Poor Judgement

Thanks for continuing the needless hate commentary, Andrew. You never cease to amaze.

Look, people do forget that things like race and gender get factored into every discussion. Because it WASN'T mentioned, it had to be. It was sexist because censorship is based around the idea of protecting the white male power structure.

It was racist because YOU said he was making allegations in order to get a green card.

Asshole comments like that are the REASON Derek had to intervene. I'm sorry that he ended up on the wrong side, and I'm sorry that you've always been on the losing side. You hold up your debate trophies, but they'll always be overshadowed by how much you still don't get it.

EDIT: We can have reasonable discussion. Shit like Andrew's post has to stop.

Thanks for continuing the needless hate commentary, Andrew. You never cease to amaze.

Look, people do forget that things like race and gender get factored into every discussion. Because it WASN'T mentioned, it had to be. It was sexist because censorship is based around the idea of protecting the white male power structure.

It was racist because YOU said he was making allegations in order to get a green card.

Asshole comments like that are the REASON Derek had to intervene. I'm sorry that he ended up on the wrong side, and I'm sorry that you've always been on the losing side. You hold up your debate trophies, but they'll always be overshadowed by how much you still don't get it.

EDIT: We can have reasonable discussion. Shit like Andrew's post has to stop.

First, I thought Zahra meant the sexism and racism was directed towards her, so sorry I misinterpreted it.

Now, you say I am unreasonable. Reason is the basis of thought and thinking ability. DesCartes said "I think therefore, I am." To imply that I am without reason would mean I am without thought. In doing so, you've taken away my being.

You have dehumanized me Jordan.

• Downvote 1

OK, nobody ever said anything about either race or gender, so the fact you bring those two subjects up is irrelevant. Why even play that card or bring it up?

If you're tired of the winners always winning and you feel that you weren't on the winning side, then that makes you the loser.

Thanks for taking care of that.

Woah... Thanks Andrew. Of course, feminism is simply a "card," or something we bring up to win debate rounds, etc. Maybe the problem is that we don't bring it up? Props to Jordan...

This whole thing is a mess, and I've chosen not to post. I don't think we should criticize Derek, he was just doing his job. The debate was getting too heated, and, on some grounds, wasn't necessary. I don't know if I would define this thread as civil, and as a mod, Derek is the ultimate decider. If this discussion truly had merit, maybe you all should meet in person, through facebook, somewhere where maybe the public won't see and get offended or make judgements.

First, I thought Zahra meant the sexism and racism was directed towards her, so sorry I misinterpreted it.

Now, you say I am unreasonable. Reason is the basis of thought and thinking ability. DesCartes said "I think therefore, I am." To imply that I am without reason would mean I am without thought. In doing so, you've taken away my being.

I'm glad someone so upset about the accusations about his own coach can distract himself from the discussion long enough to make a Berube joke.

I think is a great testament to your character that you find the best way to respond to an accusation that you are being offensive is to mock virtually all forms of oppression. The oppressed surely appreciate your consideration.

Way to redeem yourself!

I'm finally going to stop. I've needed to, but I haven't done it.

I hope you all find the truths you're looking for.

In the end, I used poor judgment and I apologize to everyone for it.

I sincerely hope that you accept it with my deepest regards.

I'm sorry.

Hanson, you need to stop. No... rethink... just stop. As usual Jordan, you're fueling commentary and as a result of picking on the youngens, our posts get deleted... so stop...

To Brunner & Potter... just stop... NO... stop... DON'T TOUCH THE KEYBOARD... just stop. You're embarassing not only yourselves, but more importantly OUR debate program, I do not appreciate it. Conduct yourselves as gentlemen, be tolerant and mindful... simply put... think.

In regards to the moderation subject... I would agree, this thread is done... I would also add, no more subject matter on anything with RY... I'm making that call for current Buhler debators, and I'm making it as a Buhler Alum... if ANY debate competitor at Buhler High School so much as makes a peep about any of this, any further on Cross-x... the fury of hell will fall upon you like no other... this has gone far far enough Brandon and Andrew, be the type of guys I KNOW you are.

As for the Hanson kid, Jordan... don't push around this subject, or fire off at the boys, anymore... if it interest you THIS deeply, write a book.

Agreed, lets move on. I am fine with deleting this thread.

But if you advocate deleting this thread, aren't you guilty of unspeakable horrors, tragedies, and victimizations? Aren't you silencing the voices of the oppressed? Don't they deserve to be heard? THOUGHT MURDERER! OTHERIZER!!

Ya, I said it.

/contempt for a handful of folks in this thread EXCEPT for my good friend Mr. Swanson, for whom I have no contempt.

• Upvote 2

Did anyone see the movie Oh Brother Where Art Thou? One of my favorite lines is when Charles Durning says, "Moral fibre? I invented moral fibre! Pappy O'Daniel was displaying rectitude and high-mindedness when that egghead you work for was still messing his drawers!"

Also, I've held my contempt for Swanson on my sleeve since October.

Try using Kleenex. Its more sanitary.

Deskboy et. al...I am not smart enough to get it. Sorry.

Sigh... and now we're back to calls of deleting the thread...

We're still at step zero of what to do about the other thread. Revive it with all of the posts, assuming students edit out the case-specific information? Delete all posts and close? Keep closed with all posts alive?

I'm mostly here to let you all frolic in discussion, whether it be a swamp or something productive. I apparently can't make anyone happy with my calls, so I'm still open to community input here... I'd rather have a constructive idea of what should happen instead of just aggression on what shouldn't have happened.

*edited with Jordan's spelling note... grammar nazi* :P

Point well taken! Rather than be a hypocrite then I move for lock down and let us all just move on. Fatigue can make hypocrites of us all I suppose.

But if I lock it, there might be sensitive information that people don't want on there! And I'd still be stifling discussion that is oh so very important to our democracy!

This is tragic and very few people seem to think it has any importance whatsoever.

I have been betrayed by the community I call my home. It is a feeding ground for sexism and racism and it has let me know that it has no place for my voice.

There is literally zero reason why the thread can't be split. None whatsoever. Everyone wants a separate forum--that'd be the way to make it happen. If I had believed my posts to be off-topic, then I would've made my own thread. But they weren't.

I'm tired of the winners always winning.

Sexism and racism? Maybe this needs a warrant...

Also, I've held my contepmt for Swanson on my sleeve since October.

Well I, for one, respect the man.

Derek, you didn't see the warrant because you're bad at K debate.

Probably true.

So is there no idea of what to do with the RY thread? I'm willing to do with it what the community wants... I just want input on what to do with it - I understand lots of people disagreed with my initial call - I'd like to rectify that.

My policy on this up to this point was non-intervention but the hotly contested nature of things in addition to the questions of trial information available to public access or whatever is going on there has brought me to the conclusion that I should not discriminate towards any views taken in the thread and should just delete all of it until something has been figured out. I have an opinion in this matter but I don't feel if I'm in an administrative position that I should share it.

Additionally, I'm closing this thread as well. The sole reason I leave it up is because it questions administrative action in this sub-section of the forums which I don't think should be in my power to eliminate. Criticism of Derek and I is necessary for the proper functioning of these forums.

Last, though I had no part in it I apologize to Mr. Swanson, Mr. Dubois, Ms. Newton, and all those that felt they were wronged by administrative action on this issue. Non-involvement on this was the wrong thing to do on my part.