Truman B (Berner/Heitz)

Raytown A (Vaughn/Michelle)

HOA District

Liberty A (Gilmore/Pepper)

Liberty B (Gott/Babcock)

St. Joe Central A

• Upvote 1

Springfield B (RR)
Not that up on the initials thing. Is this Parkview or Central? (I assume it isn't Hillcrest or Glendale...sorry Hornets and Falcons.)

Sorry, Shu, Corey has an extremely high propensity at not thinking before he talks/writes.
Not a big deal. I just like to keep track of such things, mostly for nostalgic reasons...but possibly for future intel as well.

State Quals for Debate

CX:

Neosho A

Neosho B

Carthage A

LD:

Neosho A

Neosho B

Monett A

Webb City A

Puff:

Neosho A

Neosho B

Joplin A

Cassville A

State Quals for Debate

CX:

Neosho A

Neosho B

Carthage A

LD:

Neosho A

Neosho B

Monett A

Webb City A

Puff:

Neosho A

Neosho B

Joplin A

Cassville A

Do you have names?

Do you have names?

CX names are:

Neosho A: Cagle/Jemes

Neosho B: Kellogg/Cumming

Carthage: Johns/Boydston

I'm not positive about the Neosho A team names, so feel free to correct me if I'm wrong.

Saint Louis District

Parkway Central A (Maier/Schiel)

Clayton A (Hyrc/Suen)

Ladue B (Bell/Chen)

What's going on with St. Louis policy debate? Only two to NFL, and three to State?

What is upsetting to me (although it did not ultimately affect me for MSHSAA) is that coaches are allowed to ghost entries for state. All they have to do is write a small check and all entries get filled. There is no good reason why our district didn't qual four entries in each category.

I think that this was also frustrating for many of the other coaches who feel like they are wasting their money by ghosting their entries, trying to get the most kids qualifying as possible, while others just don't feel that its a necessity.

Also, it's becoming clear that policy is dying out here. A total of 12 entries (10 able to break, 2 were actually fill teams from my understanding) were entered in policy. As far as I know, there are really only four schools actively recruiting and teaching novices policy: Pattonville, Ladue, Marquette and Parkway Central. Then to add to the deficit of debaters locally, the latter two of those schools will have their kids traveling nationally as much as possible. Their kids will be here for districts and maybe two other tournaments- but that's it.

I think we have the talent here to have good policy debaters, we just have some coaches with such a distaste for the event that they discourage it from the start.

What about the other areas in the E. Mo NFL district? Where are the Columbia-Rock Bridge and Jeff City's out there?

Yeah, that sucks about ghost entries for MSHSAA.

Jeff City has some policy teams, but they're screwed over by the fact that they are in a different district for MSHSAA and NFL. Their competitions are on the same day, so they have to split up their team.

As far as I'm aware, Columbia-Rock Bridge doesn't have any policy teams.

Who came up with that awesome idea? As I understand E. Mo NFL does speech, debate, and congress all is one weekend right? Why wouldn't the schools in that district just schedule thei MSHSAA districts on another date?

Shuman, get in on this.

Show-Me District

Truman A (Knoth/Berner)

BSS B (Sawyer/Thomas)

Truman B (Berner/Heitz)

Raytown A (Vaughn/Michelle)

HOA District

Liberty A (Gilmore/Pepper)

Liberty B (Gott/Babcock)

St. Joe Central A

first, i would like to congratulate all those who have qualified to state. so, congrats! second, i've had opportunities to debate many of those teams listed but i would like to know any and all aff disclosures. we will have the good ole DDT aff but will also bring two new affs. Finally, if anyone knows anything about the teams that don't look at cross-x.com or are from the three districts not listed, please let me know. Aim is prefered (srowlandmo) or email (guywithgoat@gmail.com). thanks and see you in Columbia.

• Downvote 1

Who came up with that awesome idea? As I understand E. Mo NFL does speech, debate, and congress all is one weekend right? Why wouldn't the schools in that district just schedule thei MSHSAA districts on another date?

Shuman, get in on this.

Jefferson City is in MSHSAA District 6, whose qualifier for State was Feb. 29-Mar 1. That date is established by MSHSAA itself, and really isn't subject to coach input. The MSHSAA date for the St. Louis schools is two weeks later, which kind of boxes the Eastern Missouri NFL District Committee into a corner on when they can have their District Tournament. It's a bad situation all around. JC is about as close to Springfield (Ozark NFL) and Kansas City (Heart of America NFL and Show Me NFL) as it is to the St. Louis 'burbs. When I was at Bishop LeBlond, JC competed in Heart of America NFL a couple of times because of stuff like this, but now that HOA has split its debate and IE District Tournaments onto different weekends that isn't a good fit for JC (they'd have had the same conflict for debate as they have with Eastern Missouri). I don't have the dates for the Show Me or Ozark NFL District Tournaments, but the MSHSAA District date for the Springfield schools is the same as JC's so that ought to work; the southern KC (Show Me) schools have their MSHSAA District event two weeks later, so that might pose the same difficulty as Eastern Missouri and HOA would pose. The real problem, of course, is that JC is in a MSHSAA District with mostly non-NFL schools, so those administrators don't much care about conflicting with NFL Districts...

Jefferson City is in MSHSAA District 6, whose qualifier for State was Feb. 29-Mar 1. That date is established by MSHSAA itself, and really isn't subject to coach input.

This isn't totally correct. As someone who has hosted the MSHSAA tournament I'll tell you that MSHSAA doesn't really care what weekend you do the tournament on. As long as it gets hosted by someone. Two years ago when I hosted we talked about moving it back a weekend, and MSHSAA was fine with that (my school's administration wasn't, so we had to nix the idea). Maybe they don't care as much about our district as they know we are pretty small (geographically) and it was a discussion that several of the coaches in the district and I had. Overall, if the coaches wanted to get it changed, in my experience, they could.

~Yunker

This isn't totally correct.
I guess I should clarify. I didn't mean that the dates come down from Mt. Sinai on stone tablets, only that in my years coaching there those choices were mostly made by principals/activities directors (as were the dates for the Suburban Conference tournaments when I was the head of that body). And, while that may well have changed over the years, there were many occasions I know of where a problem arose and the response to coach inquiries about shifting dates was "forget about it." An unexamined aspect of the problem is the effect changing a MSHSAA speech date would have on other MSHSAA-sponsored activities. Scheduling the sporting activities takes priority over every other consideration. And while the availability of a host venue might play a part in the decisions, it can't play THAT big a part, as most MSHSAA speech weekends haven't changed since Moses was a teenager...

In any event, the only real point I wanted to make was the this isn't a situation where there's a "black hat." Jeff City just needs to re-think which NFL District it should belong to...

first, i would like to congratulate all those who have qualified to state. so, congrats! second, i've had opportunities to debate many of those teams listed but i would like to know any and all aff disclosures. we will have the good ole DDT aff but will also bring two new affs. Finally, if anyone knows anything about the teams that don't look at cross-x.com or are from the three districts not listed, please let me know. Aim is prefered (srowlandmo) or email (guywithgoat@gmail.com). thanks and see you in Columbia.

Are your two new affs per chance MEDFLAGs and violence against women? Because that wouldn't be breaking new... Just wondering.