tayj

Ozark MSHSAA/NFL

willyg: congrats to militia members and future militia members for a good showing. unfortunately i was unable to discuss our progress with CTK over cereal but i'm sure he was proud. all hail!

dear nick, i'm sorry for your loss. we should eat a tub of ice cream together and talk abou it.

and

dear nixa B...STUDS! that's all i can say. i don't know what it is, but you've got it.

and go g girls.

and samro=$+L=awesomeness

willyg: dear annie and myra, props. i really enjoyed you guys in the round. ur both awesome debaters especially for your youth. i just wish you wouldn't whine about me being guilty of slime when i'm not. i'm guilty often enough as it is. and it was nothing personal when we protested marshfield (which i never would've allowed had i known ben did my cx.) we didn't want YOUR spot. we wanted A spot. chillax.

and dear marshfield. i actually was very "offended", to use your words, by your aff looking back. i just didn't want to tell you. the only reason i allowed the protest was because i thought the judge's reason was dumb. the fact that he didn't buy the 1ac should've been an automatic down for you and we just exhausted resources to get the win. i really wouldn't have any problem normally with the presentation, just the idea behind it.

i don't think you guys are cheaters, or evil, or you guys personally are what's wrong with debate. nor do i think you are chris. i think it's very creative and everything is legit, and i think in a real round WE, as in ben and i, should have lost both ballots, rather than just one. we truly did handle that round terribly. props to you. i very much regret the walk out. i wonder if we still would've won?

i really do think the strategy of the 1ac is a prime example of why debate is dying. i have been upset with losing before, i have contemplated how a judge could vote for something that didn't make sense to me, but i have never been disgusted with how an actual round until that point. i'm clearly in no unbiased or experienced position to comment, but it actually created a bias against women debaters that i have never had before, even if the creation was minor and specific to whiners.

also, i don't know if any of you were mad at wedge, but the protest totally wasn't her deal. we neglected to mention cross-x was done by ben for me. she had no idea. i already apologized to her. we really didn't think it was the same since open cross-x is always allowed(and to be honest i didn't sitck around to see ben do it for me anyway).

any questions post em up. i just thought i should get a few things of my chest.\

-will

willyg:i just wish you wouldn't whine about me being guilty of slime when i'm not. i'm guilty often enough as it is. and it was nothing personal when we protested marshfield (which i never would've allowed had i known ben did my cx.) we didn't want YOUR spot. we wanted A spot. chillax.

i really do think the strategy of the 1ac is a prime example of why debate is dying. i have been upset with losing before, i have contemplated how a judge could vote for something that didn't make sense to me, but i have never been disgusted with how an actual round until that point. i'm clearly in no unbiased or experienced position to comment, but it actually created a bias against women debaters that i have never had before, even if the creation was minor and specific to whiners.

-will

this is not meant to start an argument and i truly hope it doesn't. I can't change the way you felt about marshfield's debate. I think your public statement of these facts shuts down any discussions this community could've or would've had on the issue and that is terribly sad. Your correlation between any discussions that annie and myra had with others about your round and women in debate is completely heinous. I can't stand for anything they said on the caliber of your debating but really will? THAT has created a negative bias towards all women in debate. As if whining is gendered! There you have every reason that marshfield should read these arguments and should make you angry and make you think. I can't imagine why anyone would get on a public forum and post such things. Yet I'm glad the way seeding fell wasn't a condition of your feelings towards them considering the goal for everyone is to qualify to state.

I don't care if this is a delayed yet still heated post on your opinion of the tournament. Not thinking about what you say to the entire district has no excuse even if it is under the guise of "getting a few things off your chest". I really love the friends i do have in this district and i'm truly surprised a fellow debater would go so far to divide all of us more not through rivalries and friendly competition but through women against men.

Please, please if this must continue post else where. You're destroying the discussion on the districts thread. let it end here. you know how to reach me.

I'm going to interject- and surprisingly, not in defense of "women in debate" metaphors, although I myself, along with Sarah, have engaged in this type of debate before and found it life changing. EDIT- Yes, you incredibly smart neg repper, life changing. Feel free to ask me any questions if this caused confusion for you.

This is it- stop making personal attacks toward fellow debaters. Districts has had enough drama surrounding it already without your needless comments (waldo). If will has problems with marshfield's aff, no one can change that, but it certainly disappoints me as well. Sarah was merely rushing to myra, annie's and marshfield's defense. If you feel the need to continue this discussion, all of you know how to PM, IM, or facebook sarah, me, or anyone from marshfield. Keep it off this thread, which was designed for informational and congratulation-al purposes.

I was disappointed enough with what happened this weekend, and I would hate to feel like I could ever feel more disappointed now with our community's actions.

• Downvote 1

I don't know what Parkview's problem with this affirmative is. Three premises seem to back up my argument-

1: Debate is a game.

2: People employ strategic decisions to win at games.

3: You could not come up with a strategic defense of traditional debate.

If you warrant your arguments about how performance is destroying debate (I generally dislike performance, but understand its strategic usefulness in debate), are as quality as the warrants you made in this specific round about how performance is destroying debate I fully understand why you should have lost.

Does this team really ever change anything? Do they convince judges to shift the way they observe the world? Are we having assorted individuals thinking about the importance of stopping gender discrimination? I doubt that, and that's what makes this problematic. These kids could clearly see that, and if so, that means they know they run a flawed plan, with the intent of having a case that is, as has been discussed, non-topical, but in this instance, they have such a ridiculously off-topic case for that exact reason: To catch opponents unawares and exploit their unreadiness for the purpose of winning. If they truly wanted the female empowerment created by such integration, they could run (And INSANELY easily so) a case dealing with women. PATHWAY, or just Female Condoms, FGM. I'm certain numerous affirmatives that are not those have female empowerment advantages. That they don't makes their rationale for what they do plain as day.

This post is completely laughable. You obviously understand nothing about debate as a competition or an educational activity, and certainly not the pedagogical aspects of arguing for things you truly believe in.

First, you make assumptions about cases that are topical or not topical. A case is not non-topical until you win that argument in the debate. Chances are you cannot win that argument if your teammates from Parkview leave the room. Additionally, there is very good, specific literature, written by Judith Butler about women's roles in the realm of international relation that teams use to criticize topicality.

Second, you assume that they have to change something in the real world for them to actually make a difference. You do not get to decide whether they have learned something from their activism, and you certainly shouldn't "grade" their performance based on the number of judges or people have joined their movement. Debate is a training ground for activism, and performance studies is (sadly to me), a growing form of activism in academia, the media (the colbert report and jon stewart are both ironic and satirical most of the time), and among political groups. Just because they make arguments as to why their performance can change the world does not mean they are also not in the activity to be competitive.

Third, so what is the big deal if they run their affirmative only as a competitive argument? I'm sure you make arguments all the time in debate that you truly do not believe in. Who cares if their performance might be disingenuous? I don't understand the impact to this "argument".

• Upvote 1

I figure I would clear up a couple things

1. You have to trust me when I say that we don't want to breed any form of hatred against Parkview, so please don't allow it to morph into such.

2. I don't know what Waldo's original post said, but I told him to stay out of this, and apparently he didn't listen.

3. Will's post wasn't to stir up any tension, he intended for it to be a form of an apology for our actions this weekend, specifically to Myra and Annie, two people I greatly value as friends, and Marshfield for Will and I being for

lack of a better word, Whiny Little Bitches.

NOTE: "i think it's very creative and everything is legit, and i think in a real round WE, as in ben and i, should have lost both ballots, rather than just one. we truly did handle that round terribly. props to you. i very much regret the walk out."

in wills original post

4. I again, sincerely apologize, and I agree with both Sarah and Katie, lets keep this bs off the forum.

This is just like a nightmare, there has already been enough drama, lets not stir up any more.

willyg: this discussion will not end until what i have said is clear. please note the post above. i reiterate everything ben said.

PLEASE NOTE: this is meant for clarification, not attack. sarah, your defense is commendable i love my friends too and you are absolutely right in your defense and if you took that post as a divider. but i would just say that it was an apology to marshfield on my part, an explanation, and just saying that i think that aff has a negative impact on the perception women debaters (aka it makes them seem whiny and incapable. it pities them and i think women are perfectly fine in the debate world. i literally don't see sex in a round). I'm not saying that is true, i specifically said i have never ever had a bias against women debaters. it's never crossed my mind, ever, until i heard that women whined about unfairness in the community ( in the way marshfield did, evryone is guilty of sarah and myra's sin/my own). also it is ever so minimal too. now i also said this is a total legit thing to bring up. i just disagree with it and how the aff tries to fix it and i will take your advie katie and sarah and move that discussion, which i never intended to start, to another thread if marshfield wishes, though i too would've liked my post to go unresponded to and everyone not to be offended bc that was not it's intent. and to annie and myra or whichever one of you complained that i slimed. i just heard that one of you thought i slimed in round and i don't think i did, so i was just perterbed and would ask that you please don't say i did.

sarah you should note that i make no connection between the marshfield round and annie and myra's round. that's why they're separated although in the future i'll separate them more. i thought annie and myra and ben and i's round was perfectly fine. i'm talking about the after round action. there is no connection of sexism or anything. i think you misintepret all of that, and perhaps its my fault that you did. sarah i just want to reiterate to you that there is no correlation between my newtiny bias and annie and myra's whining. THERE IS NO CORRELATION!!! thats why there are several paragraphs in between. all sorts of people whine about how rounds go. i know that, you know that. i was just retorting their whine and scolding them for doing it behind my back. it was also partially humorous since i am so slimy. like you said you don't stand for anything they said so don't be offended. please don't be offended. also i never made anything that made it seem like whining is gendered so chillax. the louisville project is in my opinion a whine too. every aff like this that says something is unfair in this world so i have to do something dramatic is destroying debate in my opinion. if i read an aff(which i could) that said short men win fewer rounds than normal and are picked on and girls hate them(which is all bullshit) but definetly has evidence to back it up(i've seen it, then i would be equally guilty of a crime. the whole "whine" thing comes down to the fact that i like to see people overcome the system, beat the system, not create their own system. thats just my philosophy and it is in no way attached ta any -ist or -ism.

i'm sorry to say but you made a big jump between what i said in one paragraph to my conclusion in another just because i used the word whine in both. annie and sarahs complaints don't make me pity women debaters like teh marshfield aff tries to do or percieved to try from my end. i'm sorry i didn't draw a large enough distinction but they are very different forms of whine and only marshfield's aff in my opinion created a division. again this may be the fault of my words but not my thoughts, and i apologize.

to kevin: what's up man? anyway just to clarify ben and i have no problem with marshfield's aff legitamacy. i don't even know ben's opinion, but mine is that i just think it's dumb and undermines their harms. but i actually think i'm going to have this discussion with chris himself sometime. maybe i'll learn something.

in conclusion there is no correlation between my new opinions and anything to do with the gwood girls. i heart all of you, even the marshfield team and chris, and i will miss you guys next year. i should have made what i meant clearer, though i stand by what i said. every word of it. lets all relax and if after talking to chris i still have problems with the aff, i'll make a thread for respectful discussion. ps i made waldo delete his erronios post. again like a said before several posts up congrats to militia and others.

Anyone want to explain what went on? If you don't want to do it here. Hit me up on facebook, or just send me a p.m. I probably won't add you as a facebook friend if you're not already one, just to hear this story.

Damn, I was hoping you'd finally let me be your friend!

TOO BAD!

I'm about to go on another friend purge to bring my number back to 500.

I'm about to go on another friend purge to bring my number back to 500.
Just start talking about the Oakland A's. That ought to do the trick pretty quickly... ;)

Some of the Marshfield teams will break new, but I'm not sure who is running what from our team this weekend, so I'm not sure who it will be.

Some of the Marshfield teams will break new, but I'm not sure who is running what from our team this weekend, so I'm not sure who it will be.

Could you find out what it will be?

Ok, I talked to my coach, and it is Shawna Rowe/Taylor Barth that are breaking new.

• Downvote 1

Just start talking about the Oakland A's. That ought to do the trick pretty quickly... ;)

Whatever Old Man, the ladies love me.

And I'm on to you, I know what you did here:

http://www.cross-x.com/vb/showthread.php?p=1559861#post1559861

Come on, it was a funny joke.