cbormson

Valley Forge Qualifiers

Policy Debate Qualifiers are on the 6th and 7th at La Salle College High School in Wyndmoor. I would imagine you ought to contact individual coaches about judging, I don't think the tournament hires judges.

Pennsbury needs judges! Both CX and LD. PM or email me and I'll get you to the coach.

I think Pennsbury will follow the tournament model for using judges - they don't have to know anything, they just have to be there.

Policy and LD run Thursday night (starting at like 4) and Friday morning (starting at like 8, maybe it was 9). Ends by mid afternoon Friday. Traditionally, Policy does 3 rounds each day and is done after round 6, but with double elimination it can vary.

boy... i miss the days when we ran into saturday afternoon for quals...

scranton

scranton prep

dallastown

danville

pennsbury

truman

lasalle

jenkintown

perk

delone

gettysburg

plus about four or five other schools i cant remember... mostly harrisburg area...

Dallastown's going? Kids there told me they're going to Gettysburg this weekend instead.

Last I heard they were struggling to get 12 teams to show up. Has that changed?

Never mind. Just saw Nailor's website with the bills. Apparently Dallastown is doing both tournaments, as they've submitted three bills for Student Congress.

Dallastown's going? Kids there told me they're going to Gettysburg this weekend instead.

Last I heard they were struggling to get 12 teams to show up. Has that changed?

Never mind. Just saw Nailor's website with the bills. Apparently Dallastown is doing both tournaments, as they've submitted three bills for Student Congress.

That's not a team list, that's Ankur getting all nostalgic

FYI:

There are only 9 teams registered as of today......meaning we do not get two qualifiers unless someone steps up.....and that is with Truman sending our novices as it is to help out when we really didn't plan on it.....

So of course it's nice that Gettysburg is throwing a rival tournament during NFL quals......

Shawn

FYI:

There are only 9 teams registered as of today......meaning we do not get two qualifiers unless someone steps up.....and that is with Truman sending our novices as it is to help out when we really didn't plan on it.....

So of course it's nice that Gettysburg is throwing a rival tournament during NFL quals......

Shawn

Believe me if I had a clue about our NFL status or the date of this I'd get some people together and we'd go to NFL to get pwned.

Believe me if I had a clue about our NFL status or the date of this I'd get some people together and we'd go to NFL to get pwned.
According to NFL, Mechanicsburg is "Active" (i.e., it has paid its annual dues) but has recorded 0 new members/degrees this year and has no currently active NFL members...
  • Downvote 1

FYI:

There are only 9 teams registered as of today......meaning we do not get two qualifiers unless someone steps up...

Well, anyone who would attend an invitational instead of their own NFL District Tournament ought to seriously re-examine their priorities...

That said, it is shocking to me that a district the size of Valley Forge can't cobble together 10+ policy teams. Dude, I hate to say it but the folks who aren't entering policy at your District Tournament are glad there will only be one qualifying slot. Hard to imagine anyone "stepping up" if the anti-policy animus is that strong...

Well, anyone who would attend an invitational instead of their own NFL District Tournament ought to seriously re-examine their priorities...

That said, it is shocking to me that a district the size of Valley Forge can't cobble together 10+ policy teams. Dude, I hate to say it but the folks who aren't entering policy at your District Tournament are glad there will only be one qualifying slot. Hard to imagine anyone "stepping up" if the anti-policy animus is that strong...

It's true, although let's not criticize the debaters, they don't make these kinds of decisions.

It is sad that Mechanicsburg coaches are not entering points for their students. It is sad that no one in the Valley Forge district (and here I mean the "leadership") is prodding coaches to enter points or helping them do it. It is sad that no one in the Valley Forge district is talking to schools about scheduling tournaments during the district tournament. Sad may not be a strong enough word, but I'll leave it at that for now.

The district tournament is usually strangely small in all events. I don't know if there just isn't an emphasis on going to NFLs, if there is something about the quals tournament that needs to change, or if all Pennsylvania graduations end up being during the same week in June as the tournament and seniors don't want to go. Whatever it is, this is sad.

Pennsbury was supposed to be sending 3 teams if they found enough judges. So is it 3 each from Pennsbury, LaSalle, and Truman? Are there no Delone teams, or is one of the Philly 3 not putting up? I imagine that Shuman is right and there are some happy people in the district seeing this news.

• Downvote 1

cant someone convince so lehigh or some other non-policy school to enter a team for the sake of it? :)

Welcome to Pennsylvania.....now you know why we bitch so much!!!! LOL

This decline started first in debate.....and not many really cared....but it is spreading into speech as well....although not as quickly.

I have been coaching for only ten years and the drop off was very dramatic and real quick in that time frame. I remember when Ankur was debating and PA debate was a completely different animal at that time. His senior year was the last year I remember a truly competitive NFL quals and PHSSL state championship....even despite Ankur's lack of skill ;)

Shawn

cant someone convince so lehigh or some other non-policy school to enter a team for the sake of it? :)

.....just after I posted my last post Grecco forwarded me an email from Michael Nailor. Apparently we are a 'bonus' district. Meaning we grew by 20% or more last year in degrees.....which Mr. Nailor thinks allows us two slots now.....

I have no clue how this works.... ....especially since we 'grew in degrees' but shrank in participation....I guess coaches were more deligient in entering points last year.

Welcome to Pennsylvania.....now you know why we bitch so much!!!! LOL
I just figured it was the constant exposure to Ankur... ;)

Are there no Delone teams
It is inconceivable to me that Bro. Rene would be one of the ones happy at the low number of policy teams. I have no doubt that he'd enter a "cannon fodder" team if he could, but Delone is at 60 M&D, which means he's only got 13 entry slots to begin with; I imagine he's got enough legit entries in other events to fill that many slots, and then some...

I just figured it was the constant exposure to Ankur... ;)

while this is a strong possibility... i think its more because of the anti-policy sentiment. not only do schools not want to participate in policy (which is bad enough), they will actively deny participation by schools who do want to participate in policy.

i am just reminded of two things:

1) the incredibly tough time i had convincing people that its sound logic to align 'local' tournaments to the same weekends so that teams who wish to travel can do so without sacrificing local committments. the response was a buncha blank stares.

2) when i presented the idea of novice case limits at our mostly suburban southeastern phila debate league (SPDL)... the problem was that the other schools other than truman (shawn's school) were consistently getting blown out. shawn wont let his varsity kids compete in spdl because its just not fair. and the jv/novices of truman still win. so i said maybe novice case limits would help kids from other schools prepare for competition because there is a limit to the research burden. and the other coaches, most of whom are more of a 'chaperone' than coach, they banded together under the belief that shawn and i are out to make it easy for truman to whallop everyone. ultimately case limits did happen, but not without the most ridiculous opposition from coaches, some of whom dont even have policy teams.

I definitely know what you're talking about. And while you didn't say it, I don't live there so I don't have to care. It doesn't help when kids who DO participate in policy debate (and the college debaters who love them) tell anyone within earshot that anyone who doesn't like policy debate (especially their flavor of it) should just shut up and go away, kiss their ass, drop dead, etc.

Yeah, hard to imagine why coaches who don't particularly care about policy would be turned off by such a positive PR campaign on its behalf... ;)

I definitely know what you're talking about. And while you didn't say it, I don't live there so I don't have to care. It doesn't help when kids who DO participate in policy debate (and the college debaters who love them) tell anyone within earshot that anyone who doesn't like policy debate (especially their flavor of it) should just shut up and go away, kiss their ass, drop dead, etc.

Yeah, hard to imagine why coaches who don't particularly care about policy would be turned off by such a positive PR campaign on its behalf... ;)

kids... or coaches...

i dont have a problem with some coaches saying 'uh uh. policy isnt for me or my school.' fine. you dont like policy. no problems. i consider it a loss for their students, but they dont. i can respect that.

but i really draw the line when coaches try and deny policy to teams that want to participate in policy. intentionally scheduling tournaments on the weekends of big regional competitions is just absurd and unjustified.

even on the weekend of pennsbury, which is a full-service all-event tournament which draws from no less than 5 states, some diocese try and hold their local league tournaments on that particular weekend.

petty politics need to stop before ALL forensics dies out in PA.