LCCPolo

California State

Hello:

I had the privilege of working with Lauren two summers ago at her first Institute. I was able to talk to some of her judges at Head Royce, a TOC Bid event held one weekend before your state qualifiers. She and her freshman partner were the Ninth Seed, and missed breaking at this TOC Bid Tournament by a single decision.

What you have written about her and her partner is both unkind and inaccurate. The judges I spoke with about them all told me that they were excellent, wonderful speakers with solid arguments. Over the years, I have seen a lot of debaters, and students with tremendous potential. Lauren is one of the most engaging and intelligent young ladies I have ever worked with, and I daresay that if a spot opens up for her and her partner at State, they will do very, very well. If she so chooses, and keeps working hard, she has the potential to become a superb college debater.

Congrats to all the teams who have qualified for State and to all the debaters who tried. Attending the State Tournament is a privilege and I wish you all luck. I think walk, you owe Ridgeview A a public apology.

Will, I think Carl was exaggerating, considering he's going to be partners with Lauren next year in college. Plus they sort of dated

I second zach's claim.

but i think it should be added that in our league, its kinda always assumed the reason almost any team wins is majorly dependant on speaking abilities and not argumentative abilities.

damn you SVLF

• Downvote 2

Who are you? (as in, a coach, friend, debator, and relation with ridgeview debate)

HxC: I am a former parent helper in policy debate at my son's high school. I used to debate in high school and college. Now I am a community volunteer judge at certain tournaments where the tournament administrators need extra judges. I ran a summer debate institue at the University of San Diego 2summers ago where Lauren was a novice in my lab, but beyond that I really have no connection with Ridgeview, although I did enjoy meeting the Ridgeview Coach at the Head Royce Tournament two weekends ago.

And, you?

2nd year Policy debater in the Bako region of SVFL debate. And one who talks regularly with members of the Ridgeview debate team.

I envy your future. Enjoy the rounds, tournaments and experiences you have in front of you. If you speak with Lauren, let her know that I'm one of her biggest fans.

There are some excellent coaches and programs in your area and the more debating you, and those around you do, the better the arguments and debates will become.

If you get a chance to attend an Institute this summer, work hard and learn from the experience.

And Zachsta, if walkof faith is going to be Lauren's partner in college, then walkoffaith is a very lucky person!

Thanks for envying my future, but only envy the portion in which we debate in circuit. Obviously you havn't been in our league before and havn't seen the judging pool we have for tournaments (besides this years statequals). Most debaters never have the ability to actually argue circuit style or at least non-lay style. this is mostly because of the fact that out of town tournaments are high-costing and because of state budget cuts a lot of programs in our area are being slashed.

As for the coaching, i whole heartedly agree, coaches such as BCHS's, Ridgeviews, Easts, BHS, Centennial, have had an amazing affect on their debaters and other debaters in the league.

But our league needs to work on respect. Specifically our school.... and me.

And Zachsta, if walkof faith is going to be Lauren's partner in college, then walkoffaith is a very lucky person!

First off, yes I'd be a lucky person, if it was happening.

2nd, lauren really does think highly of you Mr. Smelko. She said you were a really good lab leader. And yes Zach is right, we kinda dated, but there's no hard feelings we're still really good friends.

The problem is that Lauren and her partner really did stop working. They did all of their work at the beginning of the year, and their 1AC/NC haven't changed since the beginning of the year, at all. I think that she is an amazingly talented debater, but they thought the fact that they were 2nd seed in the tournament justify them not doing work... and since they didn't they lost. I feel bad for them to because I don't get to hang out with them at state, but successful debate takes work (i went undefeated at our state qualifier, not trying to brag, but my partner and I's success was completely based on the amount of work we did).

And the debating next year might not happen. WE were both going to go debate for Sue Peterson at Chico STate next year, she's been down and seen many of our rounds and is impressed and wants us to be her open team next year. Sadly Lauren is reconsidering going and wants to stay in town. I'll still be debating there, but our NDT BOUND partnership may not be. You're right I'd be lucky though, she's good

;)

Carl do you know the bills for congress quals this thursday?

and if you want to do practice rounds before state im sure me and kim would be fine taking you on =]

Carl do you know the bills for congress quals this thursday?

and if you want to do practice rounds before state im sure me and kim would be fine taking you on =]

1. no idea... I'm double qual'd can't do congress. Lol, I'll ask Lauren tomorrow though.

2. i'm sure you would..... no performance @ state though dude.

SDIVSL

GGSA

1. James Logan AD - Amoranto and Deng

2. James Logan BC - Berger and Chan

3. James Logan BH- Bhatt and Hu

4. James Logan CC- Chen and Chen

5. James Logan CG- Chia and Go

6. James Logan SW- Shin and Wang

7. Lowell HV - Hunynh and Vuong

Leagues remaining: CFL, West Bay, SACTO, TriValley, YFL, and Marmonte

Riley: the Lowell team from GGSA is Huynh and Vuong not Hunynh

1. no idea... I'm double qual'd can't do congress. Lol, I'll ask Lauren tomorrow though.

2. i'm sure you would..... no performance @ state though dude.

Off your 1. =] What did you qual in for speech?

And ill just ask our coach.

2. If you don't want to have practice rounds thats fine, me and kim have no more tournies this year, and can't qual for nats. But we could run a straight up aff against you if you want. =P

Have you guys even hit performance yet?

Thanks for envying my future, but only envy the portion in which we debate in circuit. Obviously you havn't been in our league before and havn't seen the judging pool we have for tournaments (besides this years statequals). Most debaters never have the ability to actually argue circuit style or at least non-lay style. this is mostly because of the fact that out of town tournaments are high-costing and because of state budget cuts a lot of programs in our area are being slashed.

As for the coaching, i whole heartedly agree, coaches such as BCHS's, Ridgeviews, Easts, BHS, Centennial, have had an amazing affect on their debaters and other debaters in the league.

But our league needs to work on respect. Specifically our school.... and me.

I detect in your post a number of concerns and frustrations. However, there are methods to increase your ability to travel to circuit events and simultaneously maximize the benefits of debate at your local events, whether it is Bakersfield, San Diego, the Central Valley, or anywhere in the State.

One, involve your parents/guardians in the process. This may sound odd, but understandable, coming from the father of a former HS debater, but odds are that your parents/guardians will be your best friends and advocates. Let them know what you want to accomplish with debate, and why. Keep them informed about upcoming tournaments and encourage them to attend. Talk with them about the topic and teach them how to judge so you can expand the pool of somewhat knowledgeable critics in your area. If they do not judge policy, then they can judge IE and still help the school and the tournament save money on judges. Once they better understand what it is that you are doing, then they can help more effectively in promoting the activity with your school administration, school boards and teachers. Many parents/guardians have work schedules which will not permit them to attend many tournaments, but if you talk to them about what you are doing, you can obtain an ally in your efforts to do more debating at far away places.

Two, follow the preaching of one of the brightest coaches in the State, Marcus Walton of C.K. McKlatchey in Sacto, and ADAPT. Despite what you may feel now, debating in your local area has enormous benefits to your educational and personal growth. TOC and circuit debating offers a different, and extremely valuable skill set, but so, too does participation in local tournaments. Make the effort to win at any level in which you are competing. Being good at one style, and with one set of arguments is not mutually exclusive to being good at a different style and with more seemingly complex or erudite arguments. The end game is the same no matter the tournament or circuit. . . convince the judge . . . . Senators Clinton, Obama and McCain, for example, must persuade all types of citizens to vote for them. When I have a jury deciding the fate of a client, there are twelve random individuals who must both understand what the evidence means and who must be encouraged to want to vote for my client. At the Ninth Circuit Court of Appeals, I might have a Reagan, Clinton or Bush appointee on the Panel, and adaptation is a vital step to understanding the best path to achieving success. Rather than worry about the quality of the judging in your local area, become smarter and better at adapting to your audience.

Three, get grades and do your homework, study for your tests, finish your papers early and pay attention and take notes in class. If nothing else, taking notes will improve your flowing skills. There is no substitute for being prepared in school and no better way to achieve a level of comfort while you are heading to a tournament than to know your class work is completed.

Four, be organized and plan for your own success. Begin by cooperating with your coach and teammates. Having everyone in your squad on the same page will enable you to increase the likelihood that you will be able to travel to more circuit events if that is your desire. After cooperation, get the big picture and set yourself a goal of what it is that you and your partner would like to achieve from debate. For California debaters, especially those from Bakersfield and the Central Valley, you really have the ability to attend quite a few TOC Bid Qualifying Tournaments without flying anywhere. Thus, if it is your desire to attend more national or regional circuit events, know what they are and when they are scheduled. For example,

Long Beach (First weekend in October) Finals Bid

Meadows (September/October) Finals Bid

USC (First weekend in November) Quarters Bid

Damien (Second weekend in November)

La Costa Canyon (First weekend in December) Finals Bid

Cypress Invitational (Second weekend in December)

University of Redlands (Third week/weekend in December) Quarters Bid

Fullerton (First weekend in January)

James Logan (Second or third weekend in January)

Golden Desert (Third weekend in January) Semis Bid

La Mirada (Third weekend in January)

Pepperdine (First weekend in February)

Stanford (Second weekend in February) Semis Bid

Berkeley (Third weekend in February) Octos Bid

Head Royce (Last weekend in February/First weekend in March) Finals Bid

By understanding early the big picture of what is available to you, then you, your partner, your coach and your parents/guardians can PLAN out a realistic, achievable and reasonable schedule that mixes League participation and circuit travel without breaking the bank or disrupting your class work. Michael B and Jacob P from Berkeley BP, a first round NDT team this year, attended only 9 Tournaments all year, including round robins. You can accomplish a whole lot without spending every weekend on a bus or in a car heading to a tournament but when you are able to attend a tournament, make the most of the experience by focusing on improving EVERY SPEECH and every round. It is not enough to lament that your League does not offer what you desire to obtain from debate, you need to become involved in the process of improving your access to other tournaments by organizing your efforts early and working with the decision makers in your family and at your school to accomplish your objective.

Five, make contacts in your community. The American Legion, Rotary, the Lions Club, Optimists, Soroptimists, and the Veterans of Foreign Wars, usually all offer speech or oratorical contests, and usually give out cash prizes to those who participate. Further, by becoming involved in their programs, you also gain access to organizations which raise lots of money for community and school activities. If your school cuts back on speech and debate funding, and your family has other needs for the paychecks, then use your skills as a speaker and participate in the speech contests that these organizations sponsor. After you compete, send the Club President or contest organizer a thank you note. Become involved in these activities and groups and go beyond your own circle of friends and acquaintances to familiarize yourself with individuals who may very well be on your local school board and who can witness first hand the benefits of participating in and supporting debate by observing your performance given to their organization.

Six, work to make yourself better as an individual and as a team. Get arguments or shells ready for a slow judge or panel and for a fast judge or panel. Have one aff and 2AC blocks ready for a lay or stock issues judge and another set prepared for a more circuit friendly critic. Read and cut your own disads, T arguments, counterplans and net benefits and see what works for you and your partner. This is not an easy activity at which to succeed, but the level of success that you achieve is as much a function of your desire and effort as it is the product of your talent and skills.

Yes, HxC, I do envy your future in debate because for a California student, even one whose school and program is facing budget cuts and reduced program offerings, the possibilities still remain out there for a student to increase their own participation in the activity both at the local and circuit level. It does take time, energy, effort and a whole lot of hard work and prior planning, but if it matters to you, then you and your partner need to cooperate with your coach and parents/guardians, communicate your desires in a positive, forthright and mature manner and assist in the planning and investment to make yourself better every week and your next two years the best they can possibly become in the activity.

Thank you Mr. Smelko for that, I've been sayin that for a long time... and so has Zach. In all actuality we have a great league with great coaches that have connections with everyone. Also if you'll pm me I'd like to clear up some things that were said earlier.

Back on subject... can anyone say STATE DANCE!!!!!!

Not sure which exact team it is, but a Davis High School team qualified in the Sacramento region. Davis doesn't go to any nat'l circuit though, and have probably never heard of a kritik (possibly not a counterplan either).

Back on subject... can anyone say STATE DANCE!!!!!!

haha i remember that last year as a novice...not what i was expecting from a bunch of debaters

From SDIVSL

La Costa Canyon Colin Caprara and Gillian Sherif

La Costa Canyon Riley Lochner and Ryan Hunt

La Costa Canyon Connor Braman and Edward McCarthy

La Costa Canyon Danielle Ohlemacher and Sydney Roff

San Dieguito Academy Andrew Kang and Abraham Katz

One may drop and we will pull up the sixth seed we don't know who that is yet.

from my knowledge that one team has dropped and hence San Dieguito Academy Bryan Cheng and Jake Novack (Sixth seed) are now qualified to go.

-jake

Not sure which exact team it is, but a Davis High School team qualified in the Sacramento region. Davis doesn't go to any nat'l circuit though, and have probably never heard of a kritik (possibly not a counterplan either).

I'll say two things about Davis.

- They have lots of teams. They had twice as many teams at quals than all the other schools combined.

- They are perfectly beatable. They don't go to circuit events because they're primarily focused on (and are quite good at) winning rounds in front of lay judges. Consider: in the second round at quals, I run T Subs = Aid > $1billion. Their counter-definition is "a large amount". I proceed to destroy them on standards. But no, we pick up the loss for the round because lay judges aren't going to vote on T. They're going to vote on something else entirely.

Davis is really good winning over lay judges. But I doubt they would succeed at the circuit level.

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1

Davis is really good winning over lay judges. But they would get destroyed at any circuit event with decent judges.

Good thing there aren't any lay judges at Calif state.... :rolleyes:

from my knowledge that one team has dropped and hence San Dieguito Academy Bryan Cheng and Jake Novack (Sixth seed) are now qualified to go.

-jake

I know i know i will change it jakey poo.

I rephrased my previous post to make it seem less like an attack on Davis. Some people were construing it as such, my apologies to them. No hard feelings on my part, just an candid assement in which I may have gone a little overboard on my part.

EDIT: And BTW, the guy who neg rep'd me, I never said their counter interp was ridiculous, I said I beat them on the standards debate. Two totally different animals there.

That is all.

My post wasn't really directed at you, just TruthHurts who posted a slew of garbage. But, it's all good, she'll probably be banned soon anyways. :P

I got two rep comments, so it wasn't just your post. But it's all good.

And from a wise moderator on another forum I frequent: "If you don't have anything nice to say... keep editing your post."