nsanluis

UIL State 2008

Sorry if I'm imposing on this thread. Someone can move this to one of the other UIL threads, but I thought I would post 1A-3A results, in case anyone cares. More than anything, it's just to give a little recognition.

1A Octofinalists - It took a 3-1 with 206 speaks.

• Aquilla CR (Samantha Cobb and Erin Roark)
  • Benjamin AS (Julia Acevedo and Tina Siemens)
  • Benjamin BE (Karla Benson and Nafessa Ebraheim)
  • Farwell BO (Lauren Beaubein and Blake O'Hare)
  • Farwell FK (Kade Foster and Cameron Kirkland)
  • Forsan LN (Clint Lockhart and Alex Newsom)
  • Forsan LW (Michael Leal and Rachael Wheeler)
  • Gail Borden WW (Kate Wallace and Rachel Wilson)
  • Lindsay HP (Derek Hundt and Pooja Patel)
  • Meridian EF (Shelbi Evans and Allison Farrell)
  • Muenster BF (Brandon Bindel and Cletus Furhmann)
  • Munday DM (Rob Dillard and Ashleigh Myers)
  • Santa Anna DR (Adelaida Dean and Caylie Robinett
  • Thorndale PS (Veronica Page and Preston Stolte)
  • Welch Dawson CM (Chelsea Castilo and Aubree Mahan)
  • Whitharral AP (Katherine Albus and Monica Paris)

1A Top Speakers

1. Alex Newsom from Forsan
  2. Rachel Wilson from Gail Borden
  3. Michael Leal from Forsan
  4. Nafessa Ebraheim from Benjamin
  5. Cletus Fuhrmann from Muenster

2A Octofinalists - It took a 3-1 with 213 speaks.

• Aubrey AP (Crystal Allison and Courtney Parker)
  • Aubrey SW (Deva Shovlin and Shay Ward)
  • Blanco MW (Siomha Moore and Kristin Weber)
  • Colorado City CS (J.D. Clay and James Smith)
  • Godley FI (Amber Freels and Myles Irvin)
  • Holliday HL (Alysha Harbour and Sean Lanham)
  • Itasca BC (Tim Baker and Isai Coronado)
  • Karnes City KP (Kaine Korzekwa and Amber Patton)
  • Lago Vista HM (Duncan Hall and Megan Mumford)
  • McGregor ET (Billy Etheredge and Ruston Thompson)
  • Muleshoe HR (Cole Hawkins and Steven Richards)
  • Post BH (Suhani Bhakta and Megan Howard-Griffis)
  • Salado RR (Valeria Rangel and Taylor Reed)
  • Three Rivers MO (Jake Mylnar and Caleb Orsak)
  • Vanderbilt Industrial MW (Travis McGarrah and Zac Wedig)
  • Winnie East Chambers GT (Bryce Gilfillian and Katie Toutcheque)

2A Top Speakers

1. Myles Irvin from Godley
  2. Taylor Reed from Salado
  3. Megan Howard-Griffis from Post
  4. Ruston Thompson from McGregor
  5. Kristin Weber from Blanco

3A Octofinalists - It took a 3-1 with 212 speaks.

• Bandera RS (Timm Rodriguez and Erik Scott)
  • Borger BT (Michael Book and Eric Thompson)
  • Bridgeport IM (Jerry Ibanez and Davis Manoushagian)
  • Canton BC (Josh Bennett and Kelsey Chaney)
  • Crandall SY (Leah Stockstill and Stephanie Yowell)
  • Diboll GO (Esteban Gonzalez and Rachel Oates)
  • Gilmer FG (Alie Fritsche and Kathleen Galeano)
  • Ingleside BP (Alex Broussard and Sam Parris)
  • Palestine AM (Hannah Abernathy and Hillary Malone)
  • Princeton HS (Lindsey Hertel and Patty Sayen)
  • Royse City FS (Camille Flores and Sean Smallwood)
  • Royse City LM (Megan Lehr and Mackenzie Maxwell)
  • Seminole AP (Brooke Addison and Collin Phillips)
  • Seminole SS (Morgan Shaw and Stephen Small)
  • Smithville LL (Kyle Lastovica and Chris Leonardi)
  • Van PT (Benjamin Palmer and Joe Tobias)

3A Top Speakers

1. Hannah Abernathy from Palestine *Perfect Speaks*
  2. Sean Smallwood from Royse City
  3. Hillary Malone from Palestine
  4. Collin Phillips from Seminole
  5. Joe Tobias from Van

CONGRATULATIONS TO ALL!

• Upvote 1

seeing as how there is specified thread for all your spinoff posts please keep this one on topic, i will begin with a few questions:

This is my first time attending a REAL and TRUE UIL tournament. Our district qualifier was us and Colleyville debaters along with a few southlake people that originally do LD or Congress just to take up space. Throw in some TFA judges from the area and we just had a regular, but very tiny, local tournament. So my questions are:

1) I heard that for 5A UIL State the judging is from 4A schools, so is this bad?

2) Are there any substantially different things i should know about?

- I heard the block split is very odd.

- I heard no CPs? But they like Politics?

- Can i read some K-esque cards on case or no K at all?

3) Should i have an introduction to my 1AC?

4) Should i have multiple planks to the plan for specification?

5) Should i define words in the 1AC?

6) How are they on T, just generally? Should shells be different?

7) Finally, it goes without saying that they are probably not alright with speed, but just incase should i ask anyway?

any info would be appreciated

Being a 1A debater I will help as much as possible.

-yes, you will get 4a judges, but you will also get state hired ones and some are real cool. There are two judges in the 1a judging pool for out rounds tomorrow who will vote on any k you want

-yes they split the block very weird sometimes. real uil teams will read all off case positions in the one, and only extend them in the 1NR, they will save all on case attacks for the 2NC. it makes a real hard 1AR

-CP's are usually cool. look at the judge paradigm book, its pretty specific but they only give it out when you register

-K's are acceptable with alts for some judges, others call them case turns and flow them on cas

-introductions are unneeded. if you want one just talk about how horrible your harms are or something

-multiple planks are ridiculous, you will see them but they are completely uneeded. sometimes real traditional stock judges will prefer more specification, but you can usually save it for cross-x

-dont read defs in the 1ac, but give a list of them if you give your case to the neg

-t is cool

-speed can be okay, but beware, my brother should've been 4-0 today and instead went 3-1 and didnt break because the judge hated speed and wrote on the ballot "not only did i drop you for speed, but im giving you so low speaker points that you will not be able to break to the octos"

• Upvote 1

alright thanks for the info, i wasnt really sure how much it altered

so i should not read any cps? i have heard they like consult cps? or is this not true? what about other cps?

last year got voted down for running one.

all it took was that one loss to prevent breaking.

• Downvote 1

seeing as how there is specified thread for all your spinoff posts please keep this one on topic, i will begin with a few questions:

This is my first time attending a REAL and TRUE UIL tournament. Our district qualifier was us and Colleyville debaters along with a few southlake people that originally do LD or Congress just to take up space. Throw in some TFA judges from the area and we just had a regular, but very tiny, local tournament. So my questions are:

1) I heard that for 5A UIL State the judging is from 4A schools, so is this bad?

Not at all

2) Are there any substantially different things i should know about?

- I heard the block split is very odd. Please dont split the constructives. For example some teams will run 3-4 off case in 1NC and then 8 minutes of case in 2NC. Trying to cover that in the 1AR while speed adapting for the judge is just so much fun let me tell ya. Alot of teams that do UIL are not as experienced in the TFA circuit so some do not split the block. Every round is different.

- I heard no CPs? But they like Politics? I don't know who "they" are but like I said earlier, every round is going to be different. Just read the judge handbooks and adapt. You should have 3 different strategies for each aff you debate against.

- Can i read some K-esque cards on case or no K at all? Instead of Running Kritiks with an Impact and Alternative like you're used to, try running one K card as a case turn. I would try to stay away from the "out there" K's. Ya know, ones that dont make logical sense but some hack says all of its true so you run it hoping no one has AFF answers to it.

3) Should i have an introduction to my 1AC? You can if you want to. It usually tells a sob story, but God they are so annoying.

4) Should i have multiple planks to the plan for specification? Once again you can if you want to. It may come back in the end to bite you in the ass though.

5) Should i define words in the 1AC?No, why would you. It will ruin your chances of 2AC answers to Topicality bc your binded by the discourse of 1AC advocacy.

6) How are they on T, just generally? Should shells be different? Well it is a stock issue...nuff said. Also there is no need to restructure your shell.

7) Finally, it goes without saying that they are probably not alright with speed, but just incase should i ask anyway?ASK ASK ASK!!!

any info would be appreciated

I think it would be best for you to build different strategies for 3 types of judges. Your basic old school Stock Issues judge, your 4A/5A coach who might be judging. (May not rely solely on stock issues), and finally your hired ex debater judge. (Run whatever you want while still respecting the tradition of debating UIL State). I hope this helps.

• Upvote 1

I think it would be best for you to build different strategies for 3 types of judges. Your basic old school Stock Issues judge, your 4A/5A coach who might be judging. (May not rely solely on stock issues), and finally your hired ex debater judge. (Run whatever you want while still respecting the tradition of debating UIL State). I hope this helps.

That's what me and slotter did last year at 4A state, we had multiple strategies for every type of judge we could possibly get, but they were shortened so that we could get in every card we need to get in (ie shorter, more specific shells, also more realistic stories).

Plus for 4A you get lucky enough to get all the 5A judging, so it should be ok as long as you can be able to tell your story right.

Idk if that helps anyone.

Carswell

• Upvote 1

1A: Gail Borden County (5th championship in six years)

2A: Blanco

3A: Palestine

All six debaters were women. Woot.

Murrell

• Downvote 2

congrats to smithville LL, for a fresh. and a soph. making it to the 3a finals is an amazing feat. A special congrats to chris leonardi, for being probably one of the most devoted freshman i have ever heard of, cutting all of his own evidence and working 4 hours a day really payed off.

• Upvote 1

Congrats to all the teams who competed today!!!

What Gail Borden has done the past several years (Rachel Wilson was in finals four straight years winning state three of the four) is AMAZING! Blanco continues to be a state power and the Palestine team is an incredible group of girls!

Special congratulations to Canton (Team Rike lives on!!!) and so many other teams. Overall, I thought it was a really good tournament!

Anyone have any info on the quarantining AIDS patients aff?

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1

Heard someone was running it, but not much more. One critic was upset at the justification "they're going to die anyway." Her words were something like, "I've never hoped for a K more in my entire life."

I believe it was in 2A (Holliday or Godley maybe), but never actually got to hear it. One team mentioned Foucoult and biopower, but I'm not sure if that was something argued in the round or just thought of later. I don't know very much about the logistics of the 1AC though. I doubt you're going to find many 1A-3A lurkers on here, though.

I believe it was in 2A (Holliday or Godley maybe), but never actually got to hear it. One team mentioned Foucoult and biopower, but I'm not sure if that was something argued in the round or just thought of later. I don't know very much about the logistics of the 1AC though. I doubt you're going to find many 1A-3A lurkers on here, though.

It was Godley, we hit them at NFL districts. And basiclly all they were doing was to take everybody with AIDS or who might of had AIDS and stick them into camps, without any testing or treatment, and then they just feed them and what not until they all die. We went for biopower and the on case arg. that the quartine camps were nothning more than concentration camps (which was also the impact to the K, which made for some intersting analysis).

P.S-on the part about 1a-3a lurkers, im 1a

What did the schedule look like for the 1A-3A tournament, and is it the same for 4A/5A?

Thanks!

• Downvote 1

Its should be the same, there are four rounds friday first is at 9am the last is schelduled to start at 5 pm. Saturday is the same excepts its octafinals is at 9am and finals is at 5pm.

sweet, im really excited for this tournament! i hope we can adapt accordingly and do well, i feel pretty confident about it

if you see your hitting Grapevine MJ...beware

• Upvote 1

Speaker awards and breaks will be announced at 8pm (according to the schedule). Mrs. Riggins likes to give a speech, but my guess is that it will be shorter than her speech for 1A-3A state. There's also one less conference, so I'm guessing Friday's awards will last somewhere between 30 minutes and an hour.

• Upvote 1

Its should be the same, there are four rounds friday first is at 9am the last is schelduled to start at 5 pm. Saturday is the same excepts its octafinals is at 9am and finals is at 5pm.

Hey man are you going to UIL state? I hope to see ya there. And for old times sake we can mess with Paul constantly. "What was that Paul?" (As we turned the radio up to drown out his rantings)

BTW...Mark is getting married. Yep. I can't believe it either. The wedding is Nov 11th 2010. Im the best man, which means Im planning the bachelor party. Your going, so tell Anna now. I think we should make a trip to the Woodlands, pick up Leah (Yes I know she wont be in the state), wrap a few houses, kill the Easter Bunny, then go on a wild goose chase in Northshore, come to Crosby and break into my fire station, grab a hydrant wrench and open fire hydrants to flood the town. Then go play golf. Dont ya just miss the Spring of 2005?

Top 5 I think.

yes, only the top five get mentioned. and only the top 2 get gavels everyone else gets plaques

I seem to recall that last year at 4A-5A state, the top 10 speakers were recognized, while only the top five got awards, but at 1A-3A, they've typically only recognized the top 5.

does anyone have any first and perhaps second round results yet? or do they not even disclose in UIL....

• Downvote 1