Sign in to follow this  
Creighton_Coleman

Otherization Inevitable

I'd be very careful about making these claims... I hate to be that 'dude' who rails at people who criticizes the way people make claims, but this seems inviable for a winning argument for a few reasons. Many authors 'on their side' will completely agree with that statement, but what matters is how we relate to the other and an alternative approach to the other would be more productive. You should make an analytic instead of banking in on defensive inevitability claims. Try and use evidence that justifies your approach rather than trying to through a blanket and fan the flames of their offense... Defense against the K is the same as defense against a DA-- sure it's nice, but it doesn't win rounds.

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1

You could impact turn otherization. The Nazi legal scholar Carl Schmidt writes some very persuasive arguments why nations need to reduce a certain population segment to bare life. creating a category of the other maintains social and international order

You could impact turn otherization. The Nazi legal scholar Carl Schmidt writes some very persuasive arguments why nations need to reduce a certain population segment to bare life. creating a category of the other maintains social and international order

well, would anyone have some cards that would be useful, such as the Schmidt evidence...

I don't believe that a card is necessary. You just need to be making the analytical that whenever we engage in discourse about ANYTHING we separate it from ourselves. Maybe quote some Steinbeck on Grapes of Wrath ;)

• Downvote 1

Just enemy is what Carl Schmitt demands for effective sovereign decision. What Agamben articulates is the confusion of a just and unjust enemy. Plus Schmitt ain't so sexy... Besides stupid author indicts, there are a lot of good internal link turns built into his systematic approach to IR. Good reads though.

I'd be very careful about making these claims... I hate to be that 'dude' who rails at people who criticizes the way people make claims, but this seems inviable for a winning argument for a few reasons. Many authors 'on their side' will completely agree with that statement, but what matters is how we relate to the other and an alternative approach to the other would be more productive. You should make an analytic instead of banking in on defensive inevitability claims. Try and use evidence that justifies your approach rather than trying to through a blanket and fan the flames of their offense... Defense against the K is the same as defense against a DA-- sure it's nice, but it doesn't win rounds.

It does when you impact turn.

I think this is what Creighton wanted otherization inevitable for... as uniqueness for the impact turn.