Sign in to follow this  
DeCoach

In memory of Cole Murdock

It is my sad lot to report that Cole Murdock passed away sometime prior to yesterday evening; he was found dead in his apartment in Tulsa Monday evening but the exact time of death has not been determined. Cole was an outstanding policy debater for Charles Page HS (qualified for NFL Nats and the TOC) and was currently coaching at BT Washington HS in Tulsa. His passion for the activity will be sorely missed.

Cole will be missed by all who came into contact with him. He was a stunningly smart debater, a funny person, and a great guy to get to meet. I and i'm sure many debaters in oklahoma looked up to cole when they were growing up in the activity, he heavily influenced what was my high school career and now my career in college. I envy his passion.

I really believe that Cole was the most naturally gifted debater I encountered. I was older than him and still learned quite a bit from watching him and working with him over the years. He was also a great guy and part of a really great family.

I really believe that Cole was the most naturally gifted debater I encountered. I was older than him and still learned quite a bit from watching him and working with him over the years. He was also a great guy and part of a really great family.

True that; my main job in "coaching" Cole consisted of telling him what time the bus was leaving for the tournament. The rest he pretty much figured out on his own.

And true that about his family; his mother once spent her summer vacation from work attending a debate workshop coaches division just so she could judge at tournaments and relate to what her son was doing. You don't find many families like theirs.

All the students of Booker T Washington were greatly saddened by the news of Cole's passing. We thank all of those that have shown their support towards Cole. These will be trying times for the debate program at booker t, we all had personal connections with him outside the activity. We appreciate all your prayers and thoughts for the Murdock family(and his family here at BTW). Cole will always be remembered for his selflessness he exemplified at booker t: his effort, dedication, and determination(and working for free much of the time). Unfortunately Cole's political ambitions will never be met(20/20), but hopefully many will lead in his memory. We will always miss President Murdock his polo shirts, LSU jersey, kakki pants, velcro shoes, OU bashing, making fun of Hartney(all in a playful manner of course), delivering pizzas, his debate stren Corola with the dashboard covered in delivery stickers, and his PLATINUM SKILLZ. You will always be missed Cole at the "David L Boren Department of Oral communications" NYYAAAAAA

-Collin, Grant, Tom, and BC

just wow... its sad to see someone of his caliber and age gone... condolences to the entire Booker T community

This was really a shock. Sogol, Mel and Myself all send our condolences to his family, friends and all the BTW kids.

All the students of Booker T Washington were greatly saddened by the news of Cole's passing. We thank all of those that have shown their support towards Cole. These will be trying times for the debate program at booker t, we all had personal connections with him outside the activity. We appreciate all your prayers and thoughts for the Murdock family(and his family here at BTW). Cole will always be remembered for his selflessness he exemplified at booker t: his effort, dedication, and determination(and working for free much of the time). Unfortunately Cole's political ambitions will never be met(20/20), but hopefully many will lead in his memory. We will always miss President Murdock his polo shirts, LSU jersey, kakki pants, velcro shoes, OU bashing, making fun of Hartney(all in a playful manner of course), delivering pizzas, his debate stren Corola with the dashboard covered in delivery stickers, and his PLATINUM SKILLZ. You will always be missed Cole at the "David L Boren Department of Oral communications" NYYAAAAAA

Hey, I am sure you guys are taking this extra rough. I was even looking forward to being an embarrassingly awful debater for one more year to hang out with Cole in the debate room (hey, at least I can guage how pathetic I have performed as a debater... but that was no fault of any of my coaches... because we've been lucky to have greatly talented coaches throughout the years, especially cole). Take it easy, and express my deepest condolences to his family for me. And you guys should play hard this year in debate for his sake, because he really cared for you boys.

I will see you guys in May.

Collin, if you could email me I would be much appreciative. mchesnu(at)uark.edu. Thanks

The memorial service will be on Saturday (1/29) at 1 PM at the Holy Family Catholic Church in downtown Tulsa (on Boulder at about 8th St). The body is available for viewing at the Ninde Funeral Home (3841 S. Peoria) Friday evening; the family will be there from 5 to 7 PM.

In lieu of flowers or other tribute, the family is asking for contributions to the newly created Cole Murdock Memorial Fund, which is being established through the BancFirst of Sand Springs; proceeds will be used to send a deserving student to a debate camp.

Posted at the request of the Murdock family:

Cole Murdock, beloved son of Dotti and Steve Murdock, passed away at

the age of 21. As student council president at Charles Page High

School Cole had a large impact on his community. He was a nationally

recognized competitor in Cross Examination Debate and went on to

become the Debate coach at Booker T. Washington High School. A

National Merit Scholar who attended Oklahoma State University on a

full academic scholarship, Cole planned to study law and become

President of the United States in the year 2020. Cole took an active

part in a myriad of activities including: basketball, baseball,

football, chess, music, and waterskiing. He was cherished by his many

friends. Cole is survived by his brother Zeke, cousins Sally,

Matt,and Amanda Murdock, Courtney and Justin Rineer, and Curt Cox;

grandparents R.D. and Aliene Murdock and Betty Armstrong.

The viewing of Cole will be held at Ninde Funeral Home, 3841 S.

Peoria, 5-7 pm Friday night.

The memorial service will be held at Holy Family downtown at 8th and

Boulder @ 1pm.

In Lieu of flowers donations are requested to the Cole Murdock

Memorial Fund. This fund will benefit Tulsa area Debate students.

Send to:

Cole Murdock Memorial Fund

P.O. Box 1010

Sand Springs, OK 74063

I am Dotti Murdock, Cole's mom. I want to thank everyone from the debate community who came to Cole's funeral, sent donations to his memorial fund or thought about our family in this process. Since we had three top flight debaters provide Cole's eulogy, the service was remarkable.

Cole's Memorial Fund at Bancfirst (PO Box 1010, Sand Springs, OK 74063 --- shameless plug ) is doing well and will provide funds for Cross-x debaters to go to camps.

I would like to mention that we do not know what caused Cole's death. I know there are rumors and speculation but we will not know anything until mid-April. I am not sure we will ever truly know the whole truth, and, in the end, it doesn't matter, he is gone, we loved him and we shall remember him with love and laughter.

I want to hold fund raisers for Cole's Memorial Fund. If you have any ideas please e-mail me privately at dottim@cox.net.

Cole had music on his computer and I thought about burning some CDs to sell at debate events for $5. Or selling food at Districts if no other school does.

I also contacted the Urban Debate League about getting a program started here but I didn't hear back. That was actually Ross Faith's idea.

I feel Cole's presence often each day and I know that Cole is doing fine and that he would want us all to be happy, laughing and pursuing our dreams. I also know that debate was Cole's latest passion and that he loved his students and so many of you in the debate community.

Thank you all again, and PEACE, Dotti

Is there a webpage or paypal account associated with this fund? If not, I'd be glad to help in putting that together. That would increase the ease of making a donation.

Heh, maybe we could scan his old politics/Lopez files and sell them.

There's a lot of money to be made from selling a Clinton era politix file. No, really. I hear that government shutdown scenario is pretty tight.

See the joke now?

Back on topic -- the web oriented/paypal donation offer was legit. Selling music might cause legal problems of its own, although, I'd probably buy a few CDs anyway. On the other hand, getting some young musicians/bands to throw together a CD (or a few songs towards a compilation CD) they'd donate the proceeds of would be cool. There are a few cheap/free methods of distribution available, such as cafepress. We could even set up some space to hear clips of the music before people bought it. I know there are people here that could help set all this up, and I'd be willing to donate my time as well. Takers?