Rowedan

TFA State 2008 Caselist

Hey everyone. I'm well aware there are several national caselist wikis and spaces and threads that provide some methods of retrieving aff and neg cites for various Texas teams that have qualified for state this year, but these are problematic for a few reasons.

1) They don't cover everyone, since some teams that are qualified didn't attend some of the tournaments that produced the major caselists.

2) Many of the cites are inaccurate as many relied on third parties typing up or even paraphrasing tags and citations to the point that the original argument/cite is lost in translation.

3) A lot of them don't have the newest affs a lot of us are running.

In the past, there have been TFA state case-lists created by volunteers that basically put out an email address and a deadline. I'm going to attempt to organize such an endeavor. Its success depends on contributions from the community. Thats not to say that if i only get affs from three people that I won't send that case-list out to three people. The point is disclosure is helpful and cool.

So, This is how it works. (Please read carefully, because the submission process will be key to getting this compiled in a timely fashion.)

1) The email address is TFAstate2008caselist@gmail.com.

2) Please send all submissions as attatchments as either word documents or Rich Text Format.

Please send two separate emails for affirmative submissions and negative strategy submissions.

In the subject line for Affirmatives, please follow this format:

"SCHOOL XX AFFIRMATIVE" (XX=team code; please use the word affirmative spelled correctly so my gmail filter thing will work)

For negatives:

"SCHOOL XX Negative Strategy" ("negative strategy" needs to be in the subject line")

If two teams have the EXACT SAME cites as another team, please send an email with the "SCHOOL XX AFFIRMATIVE" thing in the subject line, and just explain in the body of the email which team runs the same aff as you.

3) Please submit all entries no later than february 21st. This gives you 10 days to submit and two weeks to use the caselist before state.

Any comments about how to make this work better would be greatly apprieciated. Please spread the word to people who don't check this site much.

Dan,

I would probably backchannel you on this but I feel it needs to be public. In years past, there has been an issue with the state casebook that needs to be addressed. In the case that you need some additional authority if you feel like this situation needs to be enforced, I assure you that I, among other folks much more important than me, have your back.

So here's the scenario (it's not hypothetical; this happened to one of my teams two years ago). A school qualified multiple teams to state and submitted a case outline run by one its lowest teams, gaining access to the entire caselist. When we hit one of their top teams on the negative, as one of the partners was thumbing through a hardcopy of the casebook, the other partner told us that they didn't disclose their affirmative. This was not a situation where they were breaking a new aff; they simply didn't disclose. If you've debated enough at bigger tournaments, I think you might now what school I'm talking about.

So, here's the solution. All teams that are qualified for state from a school must submit at least their affirmative in order to gain access to the casebook. You've got the force of the community to enforce this. If you get any angry emails from coaches or debaters, send them my way.

Murrell

• Upvote 1

Yeah, I know that will probably be an issue. The way I'm setting this up is that the caselist will only go out to the exact email adresses that include affirmative cites. This doesn't really prevent Erialleb HS XX from sharing the caselist with Erialleb HS XZ, XY, etc.

I don't want to have to resort to community enforcement and badgering of schools and individuals, but I'm hoping this won't be an issue as I hope most people understand that the goal of this caselist is full disclosure and I hope their aren't people out there who are scheming to get an advantage from it without offering the same in return to others.

If you submit your cites and there are more schools from you're team who are qualified, please encourage them to send theirs in too. This is an entirely student directed process and I don't want malicious intent to foul things up for everyone else.

So, everyone who has sent in their cites as of now will definitely get the casebook. But if there are multiple teams and multiple affirmatives from one school who are qualified and i only recieve one aff cite from that team, I don't think it would be fair to send out the caselist for that whole team to share if they didn't all contribute. This is a rule I will reluctantly enforce.

Remember, disclosure is always mutually beneficial. I've already recieved entries from some of the larger schools and more competitive schools. If you are worried about larger schools getting info about you, they will get that information anyway. The only risk is that you get a leg up that you wouldn't normally have.

For the record, the school that took advantage of the system in my example was not from Region II or Region III. For the record.

Anyway, gotta run. Got some episodes of "Fresh Prince" to catch up on. Love that Will Smith. Or something.

Greenhill HS has submitted cites for the two affs they've read this year and I will pressure other Greenhill teams to do the same.

SFA RB will be including their cites. We will tell other SFA teams to do the same.

it'd be kinda funny if SFA RB didin't submit their cites.

Churchill's cites are in.

Erialleb HS XX

hahahahahahah

--- edit -----

I Just sent in aff cites, I'm too lazy to type the neg cites right now but I'll get it done eventually.

This doesn't really prevent Erialleb HS XX from sharing the caselist with Erialleb HS XZ, XY, etc.

Got some episodes of "Fresh Prince" to catch up on. Love that Will Smith. Or something.

Oh Austin.

Hays will be sending in cites as soon as I can badger Nathan into doing it.

Westwood has begun and will continue to contribute to the book.

I miss posting on here...

Bye everyone.

Thanks everyone, Lots of teams have already submitted their cites. Just a reminder, there's a negative casebook too and they are separate, so you only get negative casebook if you send it neg cites and aff casebook for aff cites, etc.

Also, please encourage people from houston and west texas to submit-- they make up a large portion of quallified teams and only a small portion of the cites submitted so far

thanks,

dan

please encourage people from houston and west texas to submit-- they make up a large portion of quallified teams and only a small portion of the cites submitted so far

i'm working on it dan, but what I said in that email still applies.

I'm adding a third section to the casebook, "Random Info." This is for people who have information about what affirmatives teams run if you feel they aren't going to disclose. Please use the subject "Random Info." Please provide as much information as you can--Plan text or a close description, advantages, US key warrants, etc.

Thanks

Where can I find my school code number?

I am pretty sure its your teams letters.

Like if your names are John Doe and Will Smith, it would be:

school Name DS

I am pretty sure its your teams letters.

Like if your names are John Doe and Will Smith, it would be:

school Name DS

yeah, replace SCHOOL NAME with your school and XX with your partner and your last name usually in alphabetical order.

For example, my partner and I (Kevin Clarke and Shikhar Singh) would be Hightower CS

We just sent our stuff in. For those of you who have already sent there stuff in how big is the case list?

We just sent our stuff in. For those of you who have already sent there stuff in how big is the case list?

We're not sure how long it is because No one has received it yet. Dan is still in the process of compiling cites but I imagine the majority of the Austin / Dallas circuit has contributed. I know I have from the Houston area.

Dan,

So here's the scenario (it's not hypothetical; this happened to one of my teams two years ago). A school qualified multiple teams to state and submitted a case outline run by one its lowest teams, gaining access to the entire caselist. When we hit one of their top teams on the negative, as one of the partners was thumbing through a hardcopy of the casebook, the other partner told us that they didn't disclose their affirmative. This was not a situation where they were breaking a new aff; they simply didn't disclose. If you've debated enough at bigger tournaments, I think you might now what school I'm talking about.

Murrell

if this is the round im thinking of...i thought we agreed to never speak of this event ever again...

Hey everyone,

A lot of people went to Berkley/Harvard this weekend, so I'm extending the deadline one more day to allow some teams who've been too busy to get their cites in.

So, tomorrow by midnight.

thanks

Hey Dan when I sent my sites to you I got this message. Any ideas on how to fix the problem. I will try resending them.

his is an automatically generated Delivery Status Notification

Delivery to the following recipient failed permanently:

TFAstate2008caselist@gmail.com.

Technical details of permanent failure:

PERM_FAILURE: SMTP Error (state 13): 550 5.1.1 No such user 52si312938hsf.9

Sorry for the delay everyone. All the cites are in and I am compiling them right now. Should be sent out by tonight.

thanks for being patient.

And, I'm not sure whats wrong with that error message, but if anyones still having trouble, send it to my personal email

rowedan@gmail.com

dan