Sign in to follow this  
JohnnyD

PHSSL Quals

you people are bragging about placing in phssl districts in districts where there are what? two? three schools competing? right......

It was about ten teams, idiot.

Ten teams is not a lot......

Actually, all things being relative, 10 for a PHSSL District tourney is an amazing number..it borders on HUGE. Most districts are lucky to get 4 teams. So 10 is amazing. H.

well, thats pretty much what i was saying.

see, if you want to say something like:

last year - won nothing

this year - won phssl districts

next year - we'll win everything!

betta watch out!

thats funny. its not bragging. its just funny. but the two of you are orally brawling over phhsl quals - a tournament most certainly plagued by poor judging at best and random judging at worst. i am sorry, but in NO district is phssl quals difficult by any means.

i'm happy that you are finding success in your corner of the PA woods. but these days, success in PA doesnt mean a whole lot. pretty much the only policy team in PA with any level of success this year is the perennial cath prep teams. everyone else wallows in mediocrity or worse. its just reality.

if you want to change my opinion on these things, you'll have your shot in just under a year. i'll be back at pennsbury and hopefully you can prove to me that i am wrong there. i'll be one of the judges in the final round.

Really we never said we'd win everything we just said we made our presence known at districts and if you look you can't dispute that mech did pretty well... I'm definitely not saying we're at anywhere near cath prep or truman level, believe me, but we're doing ok I think.

And I hope I can prove you wrong... we'll be working our butts off for next year, believe me.

Stop just getting down on people doing well at any tournament. The reason PA debate is in horrible decline is because of the people who are like - PA debate sucks - PA debate tournamets have no competition. Be proud you did well in a PHSSL district tournament. Ever tournament is relative to another and for you to qualify to the State tournament is a big deal - because some teams dont do it each year.

So congrats and see you at the end of March -

Cathedral Prep CH and Cathedral Prep SS will be attending

Manuel

Thanks Manuel... I understand where people like Ankur and foxydick are coming from but we're working with what we have here... and I'll fight my ass off to push it even further... going to P-bury next year for example, despite the forces saying "we don't do overnighters".

I hope to face Cath Prep and the rest and hold our own at PFI or at least not get last... I hope we do just that.

a little trial by fire never hurt anyone...

:)

good luck at states. hopefully we see you at pennsbury next year and you can prove us wrong. afterall, its not like we want to be right... :)

Manue, when were your district quals?

I was under the impression that they weren't til this weekend.

edit- manuel, sorry about that, wasn't thinking too much when I posted

Keep complaining about how lousy the Harrisburg districts are. Brilliant move.

That's the way to encourage people to come to your tournaments.

We're trying to rebuild them so that PA debate can improve.

But if you're happy losing to the same three teams over and over again, be my guest.

Are you guys prepared to tell me that you haven't dropped any rounds to HADL teams all year?

Yes, HADL sucks. Yes, PA debate sucks. Fine, fine, fine.

Do you want the death of policy to continue, or do you want it to revive itself? You know how much those PFD idiots like to proclaim the death of CX.

I swear, you're as bad as the dumb jocks that scoff at any mention of the "debate team."

Get over yourselves and wish Mechanicsburg well.

Sportsmanship has a place in debate.

Belitting the weaker districts, or PHSSL in general, does nothing to strengthen the core, which leaves it with a rotting center.

The rotting center in the core leads to the death of debate.

Death of debate means death to intellectual examination of arguments.

Lack of argument analysis leads to poor policy.

Poor policy leads to nuclear war.

:P

Poor policy leads to nuclear war.

:)

Ankur, I'll pass the luck onto Lee and Jen and we'll hopefully (fingers crossed) be going to P-bury '09 with the goal of holding our own against the Big Teams.

• Downvote 1

I don't really know to tell you the truth, just heard that your area had quals the same weekend as mine. I just sorta assumed that each district has some competition for states, even if its only one other school, which I probably shouldn't have done with the way people have been talking about Pa debate.

Keep complaining

Does complaining help? Does it help 'build'?.....no, of course not.

but it is understandable to a degree?....... Yea it is.......

Obviously your general point is well taken......but if you notice those in this thread that are complaining the most are the ones who were most recently competitors.

To keep up your jock analogy......

Imagine a baseball player having to continually play teams that don't know how to play the game (not out of lack of talent or desire but out of a lack of experience and coaching) with umpires who don't have a strike zone, don't know what a balk or a bunt is, and refuse to allow stolen bases....... Now try to get excited for your next game........

I have been saying for years that I would be perfectly content with PA if it truly stuck to a "stock issues' paradigm.....and this is coming from someone from PA's pretty much only kritikal team.....I can coach to the stock issues. It gives a framework and structure even if it is one I don't think is the 'best' option .....but we don't even have that anymore.

Shawn

Oh yea.......

District 11 only has one CX school......so LaSalle A (Sperger & McCarrick) and B (I'm not sure which Novice team is the B team) by default

District 12 will be decided Saturday......weather permitting.....2 Truman and 2 Pennsbury teams are registered....

I haven't talked to Mike in awhile....so I'm not sure if Conestoga is still active or what is going on in District 10 in general. Unionville may have the only CX team in 10.

Shawn – I am not so sure students are responsible for the terrible judging in central PA. I think the major problem with PA is that you have got students who are just as dedicated as Truman/PBury/La Salle/Cath Prep students, but they just don’t have the coaching to be competitive at the level everyone else is. So naturally, they suffer. But its not their fault. It’s the coaches who are okay with putting together a half-assed judging pool, and bringing it to tournaments where people like you and I are equal in that seem pool, that’s where the problem is. Its not with students who don’t know the rules, they really want to know the rules (look at how John really wanted to come to Pennsbury this year, it wasn’t his dedication that prevented them from coming, it was the coach). Of course you probably know this already.

Rick – I have a lot of respect for you and all, you are a phenomenal debater, but is there a reason to degrade a high school student on a public forum?

Wannabeacoch – you are right. But realize that people aren’t saying that it’s your fault you guys don’t do so well. Without getting too critical, it’s your coaches who have something “against” our style of debate, and are too involved with the teachers union to do anything more than what they are contractually obligated to do to help you guys succeed.

Frank – take a chill pill man. This isn’t the end all be all, its high school debate.

John – did you qualify to states this year?

Shawn – I am not so sure students are responsible for the terrible judging in central PA. I think the major problem with PA is that you have got students who are just as dedicated as Truman/PBury/La Salle/Cath Prep students, but they just don’t have the coaching to be competitive at the level everyone else is. So naturally, they suffer. But its not their fault. It’s the coaches who are okay with putting together a half-assed judging pool, and bringing it to tournaments where people like you and I are equal in that seem pool, that’s where the problem is. Its not with students who don’t know the rules, they really want to know the rules (look at how John really wanted to come to Pennsbury this year, it wasn’t his dedication that prevented them from coming, it was the coach). Of course you probably know this already.

Did I say they were responsible? I agree 100% with all above......

Did I say they were responsible? I agree 100% with all above......

you are right, I guess my comments were more directed at Ricky:

There is no room to brag.....Period. All you needed to do JohhnyD is say who qualified from your district. There is no need for the "We made our presence known" bs. How will you feel when the dominant schools like Cathedral Prep, Pbury, Truman, and Lasalle "Dominate"......Please, choose your words widely. Your words may be depressing someones confidence, therefore killing competition and ANY chance of a change in the Policy Debate Realm....

Yes, Pennsylvania Debate is horrible because of the lack of resources, proper judging, intervention, etc. There is nothing to brag about when talking about qualifying to PHSSL State Championships.....Trust me.

and Ankur:

well, thats pretty much what i was saying.

see, if you want to say something like:

last year - won nothing

this year - won phssl districts

next year - we'll win everything!

betta watch out!

thats funny. its not bragging. its just funny. but the two of you are orally brawling over phhsl quals - a tournament most certainly plagued by poor judging at best and random judging at worst. i am sorry, but in NO district is phssl quals difficult by any means.

i'm happy that you are finding success in your corner of the PA woods. but these days, success in PA doesnt mean a whole lot. pretty much the only policy team in PA with any level of success this year is the perennial cath prep teams. everyone else wallows in mediocrity or worse. its just reality.

Whether or not you intend, its pretty clear from the response that these guys don't appreciate you saying that they aren't up to snuff

John – did you qualify to states this year?

No- our A team of Lee and Jen and a Cedar Cliff team made it... JP and I came in third, and were extraordinarily close to second by a few speaks.

In our second debate v. Boiling Springs, we got a nice taste of the flawed judging as neg read no years on their evidence until the judge vocally interrupted the debate to ask for the dates (we would've anyway), they lost on all stock issues easily (i've got the flows) and we completely out-impacted them... it shouldn't have been close, but instead we were handed our only loss of the day. Therefore I understand there are problems. Nevertheless my school is moving on to states, and despite the flaws I'm psyched.

drum roll please.............

we will not be repeating as State champs this year.

The qualifiers are:

Pennsbury A Gritz/Linder

<and>

Pennsbury B Kolander/Gopal

Congrats to both teams!......Which ends a decades long run by Truman with us qualing a CX team or two every single year...... It was tough for us this year as we graduated all of our varsity debaters save Chiz.....

I'll still be there though.....

Brett,

Its a little gaming clarified by:

good luck at states. hopefully we see you at pennsbury next year and you can prove us wrong. afterall, its not like we want to be right...

Brett,

Its a little gaming clarified by:

good luck at states. hopefully we see you at pennsbury next year and you can prove us wrong. afterall, its not like we want to be right...

Ankur, I understand what you are saying, but I am not so sure everyone else does, judging by the response.

I haven't talked to Mike in awhile....so I'm not sure if Conestoga is still active or what is going on in District 10 in general. Unionville may have the only CX team in 10.

District 10:

1. Conestoga Bomze/Kogan

2. Conestoga Kaslow/Wanzitek

Unionville is the alternate

Keep complaining about how lousy the Harrisburg districts are. Brilliant move.

Get over yourselves and wish Mechanicsburg well.

Sportsmanship has a place in debate.

Belitting the weaker districts, or PHSSL in general, does nothing to strengthen the core, which leaves it with a rotting center.

:P

I agree with you. Look at JohnnyD's comment basically saying "Ha, we owned all these other teams and made our presence known"

Isn't that unsportsmanlike boasting about your team crushing the competition? I just thought it was. That's what I was arguing.

• Downvote 1