Sign in to follow this  
Justin Green

Wildcat Debate Workshop 2008 (Kansas State)

Everyone should note that Jeff Roberts and Halli Tripe (formerly of Baylor University) will be joining the WDW staff this summer. A unique oppertunity. I've gotten the chance to work with Jeff (and Halli to a much lesser extent) over this last year and he is truely intelligent and well-versed in critical literature.

If I were in high school in Kansas and interested in critical debate, I would not miss this oppertunity.

Well dam, I go to WDW because I want to learn theory and my stock issues. critical debate doesn't do shit in Kansas my friend.

• Downvote 3

Then by all means continue to focus exclusively on one thing. I don't want you to learn about arguments you don't make, even if others make them. Have fun at camp!

• Downvote 1

Well dam, I go to WDW because I want to learn theory and my stock issues. critical debate doesn't do shit in Kansas my friend.

I dont know if you noticed.. but mr. cook is from kansas as well and had quite a bit of success here. I recomend you listen to his advice.

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1

There are multiple Nebraska debaters coming to camp this summer. I suggest you team up with them. They are all still learning and hopefully they will get a lot out of this camp. I know I did. Everyone come to camp, Jeffy is awesome.

John is right - Halli and Jeff will be joining our staff next year. I agree with your concern about the translation of critical arguments to a judge pool in Kansas. But, it would be a gross mistatement to assume that Jeff and Halli are not well-rounded knowledgeable debate coaches/judges/teachers/mentors. Halli has focused her energies while at Baylor on the policy side of arguments.

The WDW is also excited to announce the addition of National Champion College Coach Jackie Massey of Oklahoma University as a periodic lecturer, judge, and speech critiquer.

Students will have the option of choosing some of the people they work with. You want to focus on disads - then sign up to research a DA - you like the K - then feel free to criticize.

If you have questions or concerns, please let me know.

Justin Green

WDW and KSU Debate Director

where could we get the pre-camp stuff??

I'm sure if you applied to the camp and overnighted a deposit check, Justin Green would more than accommodate you. :P

TOMMORROWWWW.... Can't wait.

Probably won't sleep tonight.

Peace

Okay okay, listen up. Lisa and I were brainstorming and thought of a brilliant idea to keep the Wuh-Duh-Wuh 078 camp alive by reminiscing on the memories that were made. So here's the deal, I'm going to post different topics, and I want members of WDW to fill them in with whatever they deem necessary relating to the camp. Deal? Deal. This going to mainly be focused on the 3-weekers because I thought I didn't get to know the 1 and 2-weekers enough as I should have minus a few exceptions (Katie and Meaghan.)

Also, I thought it would also be necessary that once I got back into Hays, Kansas at 2:21 last night, I took a nap until today at 11:39. Getting 21 hours of sleep is an amazing feeling.

FEEL FREE TO ADD ANY CATEGORIES/SUB-CATEGORIES TO THE THREAD

FAVORITES...

Free time activity (besides blocking and cutting):

Song(s) that were danced/raved/moshed to:

Saying/Quote:

Judge:

Argument:

Aff:

Neg Strat:

Lecture:

RA:

Memory:

Object in the dorm:

K-State merchandise received:

Non-debate experience:

WHO/WHAT WAS...

The person that had answers to everything (advice, not blocks)

The one that made everyone happy/laugh?

The one that made everyone mad/cry?

The most feared in round?

The most underrated?

The most talented?

The most likely to use prep for the 1NR?

The best looking debater?

The most random thing encountered when researching?

Your worst affirmative/negative strategy?

The senior you will miss the most?

CAMPERS...

Katie -

Meaghan -

Todd -

Amanda-

Brittany -

Eric -

Kyle -

Michael -

David -

Ryan -

Preston -

Stormee -

Chance -

Tayler -

Jake -

RA's/Leaders

JGreen -

SJ -

Dan -

Kyle Z. -

Apark -

Caitilyn -

Derek -

John -

James -

AND FINALLY....

Who REALLY took Eric's iPod?

Edited by papak_06

FAVORITES...

Free time activity (besides blocking and cutting): Ordering any and every kind of food.

Song(s) that were danced/raved/moshed to: Paper Planes - MIA

Saying/Quote: "What a meeeeean biiiiird." (Orgasm voice) "YEAH!"

Judge: Alex Parkinson

Argument: Politics

Aff: Nanotech!

Neg Strat: States, Federalism, Politics was a good one

Lecture: Kick out camp was a good one

RA: John, FTW!

Memory: This part is impossible. I made memories with everybody every night. Any time at 4 a.m with Michel, Eric, and Preston will always be memorable.

Object in the dorm: My bed

K-State merchandise received: K-State mug and highlighters that we got for taking 2nd.

Non-debate experience: Becoming best friends with everybody at camp.

WHO/WHAT WAS...

The person that had answers to everything (advice, not blocks) Alex or Dan

The one that made everyone happy/laugh? Preston takes the cake I think.

The one that made everyone mad/cry? Tayler, she's only 14.

The most feared in round? Brittany and Eric. Michael and I always had some mad prepping to do before we hit them.

The most underrated? Preston.

The most talented? Stormee. She can dance, write blocks, take 8 minutes of the K, and her dad coaches Oklahoma University.

The most likely to use prep for the 1NR? Tayler

The best looking debater? Me :). Kidding

The most random thing encountered when researching? Feces, but, somehow it was relevant.

Your worst affirmative/negative strategy? 12 off in finals. Then kicking out of 7 flows in the block.

The senior you will miss the most? Every single senior in the 3 week.

CAMPERS...

Katie - A reals big threat. I'll be scared to debate WK with you next year.

Meaghan -Huge improvement from last year. You helped me keep my sanity and you saved me at times when I needed it most.

Todd - I had a lot of sexual tension with you, but it's not going to work out. I'm sorry.

Amanda- I didn't mean to interrupt your sleep time ever. I promise. Don't hate me haha.

Brittany - You're reals fast and smart. Who else can give a stand up 2AC after I go 11 off. Thanks for helping me become a better person and debater.

Eric - Roomate #1You're such a meeeean birrrd. You and I made a bunch of memories last year that carried on into the season and we made them stronger. It was hella tight when you moved in with us. And we made some pretty good memories by ourselves on the last week.

Kyle -

Michael - Roomate # 2. My partner (yes I said partner to symbolize our sexual relationship,) it was fun tearing up the tournaments with you. 6-0 in prelims WOOT! Then the final round in the round robin with YouTube...classic. I'll see you in like 5 hours.

David - Little 'ole Harzman. You will do your brother proud your next 2 years of debate.

Ryan - I didn't know much about you until later in the camp, but once Michael and I got to debate you, we found out you know your shit. Good luck destroying Nebraska this year.

Preston - Roomate #3. Your dinosaur is what I will always remember you by. Stopping on the 5th floor every day and screaming, barricading the elevator doors and informing those cheerleaders they were on the wrong floor, and sneaking out of our room at 2:30 a.m. to pick up our buffalo wings will be something I always remember.

Stormee - I could never understand why you always wanted to look at my butt. And I'm sorry I disappointed you and myself all at the same time. But most importantly, I'm sorry I was mean to my sister.

Chance - #1 cause of drama. It still doesn't make sense why you would go $700 in debt for a 3 week debate camp where you only debate twice in a season haha. Regardless, it was fun having a water fight with you.

Tayler - You're only 14, I understand, but you need to be nicer. Oh, by the way, </3.

Jake - Kind of roomate #5 haha. Props out the ass for going mav the whole 3 week, and yes I do think it was a dick move to go 7 off in the 1NC, and I do apologize. Good luck in the season bro.

RA's/Leaders

JGreen - The Renaissance Man. He can kick anybody's ass in debate or basketball, you choose.

SJ - Excellent photographer haha.

Dan - A very good debater, card cutter, leader, and person. He taught me the fundamentals of debate my sophomore year and has made me the debater I am today.

Kyle Z. - The one night the RA's decide to go out and watch Batman, you get stuck watching kids with water guns, hahaha.

Apark - Fast beyond any calculation, very good at basketball, and thank you for keeping an eye on me and making sure I was okay, even when I wasn't. And thank you for making me clean the lobby for a week.

Caitilyn - You picked us up on presumption! Hell yeah!

Derek - Uber schweet! I was kind of disappointed I only got to hear that once. "Go to the alternative. Sweet 4 minutes left, baller."

John - You made my camp experience 3920x better than I expected it to be, seriously. Now in order to return that favor, I want you to do what I told you to when you get back, even if you're still fighting.

James - X-Resident God, but still phenomenal judge and person. I will treasure your 10 commandments of cross-examination.

AND FINALLY....

Who REALLY took Eric's iPod? I still think it was Crazy Legs.

FAVORITES...

Free time activity (besides blocking and cutting): Just chillaxin.

Song(s) that were danced/raved/moshed to: DotA!!!!!! oh and that techno shit people were playing.

Saying/Quote: "Perm: Do plan and make Rafi get a fucking shave." - Derek

Judge: Beth always gave really helpful advice. I thought that all of the judges were great and had valuable things to contribute, though.

Argument: Social Ecology.

Aff: Nanotech. FUCK YES.

Neg Strat: Give Back The Land. haha

Lecture: Justin's lecture on winning speaker awards.

RA: John or Gloria.

Memory: My epic fail in attempting to hi-five Amanda.

Object in the dorm: Pancakes the rabbit. Or Todd.

K-State merchandise received: The water battle is pretty badass.

Non-debate experience: Dragon hunting, the toilet paper fiasco, etc.

WHO/WHAT WAS...

The person that had answers to everything (advice, not blocks): IDK

The one that made everyone happy/laugh?: Todd

The one that made everyone mad/cry?: Tayler. They were tears of frustration and facepalmage.

The most feared in round?: Kyle's mad spreading skills made him pretty feared.

The most underrated?: Connor

The most talented?: Brittany

The most likely to use prep for the 1NR?: Joverby... well, Tayler.

The best looking debater?:

The most random thing encountered when researching?: http://www.poopreport.com

Your worst affirmative/negative strategy?: The Diarrhea Dance.

The senior you will miss the most?: I'll miss all of them! Unless I see them at tournaments or something.

CAMPERS...

Katie - She totally would've kicked my ass if I had to debate her.

Meaghan - really genuinely nice.

Todd - Homo-erotic in a hilarious way. (I'll upload pictures soon.)

Amanda - I'm still sorry for almost poking her eye out.

Brittany - Probably the most hard working person at camp.

Eric - I'm terribly sorry for you losing your iTouch.

Kyle - the orgasm voice still haunts me

Michael - has made rebuttal skills.

David - most improved debater, hands down.

Ryan - that's me! unless you're referring to the other Ryan.

Preston - fucking hilarious and a very underrated debater.

Stormee - knows her shit about K's.

Chance - always had something nice to say.

Tayler - is a 2nd grader.

Jake - made me a much more well-rounded debater during our partnership

RA's/Leaders

JGreen - This guy has mad knowledge.

SJ - ... I have no idea who this is. :x I fail.

Dan - is blunt.

Kyle Z. - gives great feedback post-round.

Apark - has a horrible singing voice. sorry.

Caitilyn - mean and scary :(

Derek - hilarious.

John - handled our shenanigans well and was very fun to be around.

Sarah - No interaction with her.

James - mad me look at CX in an entirely different way

AND FINALLY....

Who REALLY took Eric's iPod?: Helen Keller... but in all seriousness, it was probably Crazy Legs.

FAVORITES...

Free time activity (besides blocking and cutting): Whoacking it.

Song(s) that were danced/raved/moshed to: Dota

Saying/Quote: "Whata MEEEEAAANN BBIIRRD!

Judge: James Thomas or Rafi

Argument: Overcomsumption

Aff: Laser powered laser satilites

Neg Strat: 1 off, inherancy turns

lecture: cross-x

RA: John Grice

Memory: Winning the round robin

Object in the dorm: window wands

K-State merchandise received: Mug, waterbottle

Non-debate experience: capture the flag, and something else I can't post on a public forum

WHO/WHAT WAS...

The person that had answers to everything (advice, not blocks): Ms. coats always seemed to be there if you needed to.

The one that made everyone happy/laugh?: Me maybe?

The one that made everyone mad/cry? Again, me?

The most feared in round? Eric, fast and clear

The most underrated? Garden City kids, todd and amanda, west Kansas better watch out

The most talented? Lotsa talanted people

The most likely to use prep for the 1NR? Myself

The best looking debater? Chance

The most random thing encountered when researching? the firehose

Your worst affirmative/negative strategy? anything not 1 off

The senior you will miss the most? All of them, for realz

CAMPERS...

Katie - She was fucking terrific. There is a reason she got first speaker. Very impressive.

Meaghan - Most improved, by far. I was impressed.

Todd - Kind of a dick in round, but was lulztastic.

Amanda- Cross- apply my analisys from above on todd

Brittany - This girl will again tear Wisconsin a new one. Fast, clear, efficent, and tricky.

Eric - Realz fast and realz clear. Most likely to freak out in cross- x.

Kyle - Ass hole spread me out of the room. Also known for screwing the pooch. But despite this, he is still fantatic, and a great friend.

Michael - A-Strat for beating him- do the dinosaur. He'll start laughing and wont be able to continue. Still good at debate.

David - The poster child for this camp. He learned a lot in his 3 weeks.

Ryan - Nebraska best watch out. Kidz good.

Preston - Fucking terrible at policy. I dont know why he even showed up. He couldn't do anything right. And he was not funny at all. God I hated him.

Stormee - The best debate partner I've ever had.

Chance - Wins best looking debator, hands down. We all are sorry for...things.

Tayler - She was 14.

Jake - One word...Joverby.

RA's/Leaders

JGreen - Word efficent to the max!!!!!!

Dan - NOM NOM NOM! FEED ME IMPACT TURNS!!!

Kyle Z. - Good K of T lecture, even if I almost fell asleep.

Apark - " And I don't wanna miss a thing..."

Gloria - Got her with the water bomb.

Caitilyn - Good at getting us leverage.

Derek - Sorry about your fan club.

John - Thanks for getting us food.

James - God among men.

AND FINALLY....

Who REALLY took Eric's iPod? The meeeann bird.

Edited by leapofaith97
  • Upvote 1

FAVORITES...

Free time activity (besides blocking and cutting): dragon hunting or sleeping with storm town

Song(s) that were danced/raved/moshed to: dotA

Saying/Quote: "k lit"

Judge: APARK!!!! or dan.

Argument: hmmm....lets think....POLITCS DUHHHH (link turn FTW!!!)

Aff: windians

Neg Strat: i didnt care as long as i got politics for five minutes

Lecture: Dereks impromptu lecture in the hall way of Nichols about adapting to the other team. it was literally the best lecture ever.

RA: GLORIA!!!!!!!!!

Memory: getting interupted by the ENTIRE camp in the middle of the night....

Object in the dorm: kyles bed. our door (heart amanda)

K-State merchandise received: do the highlighters count?

Non-debate experience: dragon hunting. staying up all night. getting carried around. aparks car. popsicles. ordering food. stormee. kyle. i loved it all.

WHO/WHAT WAS...

The person that had answers to everything (advice, not blocks): stormee. girl saved me so many times. <3

The one that made everyone happy/laugh? fred

The one that made everyone mad/cry? me?

The most feared in round? kyle.

The most underrated? Ryan. kid is ON FIRE. i wish he lived in wisconsin and could be my partner. his answers are brilliant and he learns quickly. hes fast, clear, AND smart strategically.

The most talented? eric. fast, smart, fantastic person. he got really good at giving the 1ar. always seals the deal in the 2nr.

The most likely to use prep for the 1NR? tayler.

The best looking debater? kyle and stormee. AND ERIC.

The most random thing encountered when researching? my ex boyfriends girlfriend that looks EXACTLY like me....

Your worst affirmative/negative strategy? we had some pretty bad ones now that i think about it......

The senior you will miss the most? all of you. every single one. but we'll keep in touch. k?

CAMPERS...

Katie - damn girl. you are gooood. cant wait to see how your season goes. rock that eco fem!

Meaghan - you improved so much. and we had some good girl talk....<3

Todd - I WANT YOUR BOD! AND I WOULD WIN IN A FIGHT. MY PERM IS BETTER. bassicallyyyy, imma miss you and your "hella legit muscle" soooo much.

Amanda- honey, i love you. i cant even begin to describe...

Brittany -hey thats me!

Eric - we had good times. we had bad times. i fucked up. but i really care about you and i would do anything for you. thanks for saving my life that night.

Kyle - you're realz good. debate in college. and never forget...you mean the world to me.

Michael - sorry for walking in on you ALL The time...

David - HAHAHAHAAAAA BLONDIE!!

Ryan - see above. i think you are a fantastic debater. even if you SUCK at frisbee...

Preston - ohhhh buddy. dinosaur days were great. you improved SO much at camp. really impressive. even though you went crazy and ran around without pants on...

Stormee - you are beautiful and strong. no matter what happens, you will survive. we are survivors. the fact that we are alive and fighting makes us strong. you mean the world to me. never forget what happened at camp. <3

Chance - sorry.

Tayler - you're music sucks. but i'm proud of you for sticking with debate.

Jake - sorry for saying there was only room for (counts people in room) five people

RA's/Leaders

JGreen - realz smart

SJ - realz crazy

Dan - miles and miles of heart. and thats all that counts ;)

Kyle Z. - great lectures

Apark - can jump like a crazy mofo and is brilliant in round and is brilliant in life.

Caitilyn -good times....thanks for letting me cry in the lobby.

Derek - thanks for the popsicles.

John - thanks for being understanding when i had my millions of crisis's

James - hahahaaa.

AND FINALLY....

Who REALLY took Eric's iPod? a whoooooooping crane. or the camp on seventh floor.

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1

I have it already man.

The playlist is as followed (in no order of importance.)

1. Dirty Pop - Nsync

2. DotA - Basshunter

3. Never Gonna Give You Up (or known as Rick Roll) - Rick Astley

4. Paper Planes - M.I.A.

5. Forever - Chris Brown

6. Handlebars - Flobots

7. Hero - Enrique Iglesias

8. I Can Walk on Water I Can Fly - Basshunter

9. If You're Going To San Fransisco - Global DJ's

10. Relax, Take it Easy - Mika

11. Control - Metro Station

If something is missing, feel free to add it. I should have it up sometime tonight.

What about Boten Anna or the English song that has the same tune as Boten Anna? I heard that one a lot.

Or, maybe I Don't Wanna Miss A Thing by Aerosmith in honor of Alex's performance.