Sign in to follow this  
Knights who say Ni

Biotech Strat.

What was the aff? The possible advantages to biotech affs are pretty wide ranging, and specific strats can change drastically depending.

generically, patents good/ipr-imminent domain bad is responsive. there's decent evidence (many camp neg files will have it) indicating western biotech actually does very little for african agriculture/makes things worse.

What was the aff? The possible advantages to biotech affs are pretty wide ranging, and specific strats can change drastically depending.

generically, patents good/ipr-imminent domain bad is responsive. there's decent evidence (many camp neg files will have it) indicating western biotech actually does very little for african agriculture/makes things worse.

Ok I don't have the flow next to me so I can't remember what the advantages were exactly. What about DAs and CPs?

On-Case:

No GMO Cassava/Sorghum/Etc - mosts plans take patents from private agribusiness corporations, but these corporations aren't even developing crops that would be successful in Africa - there's no economic incentive in the squo to make GM cassava

"Super-weeds" Turn - GMO cross-breed with local plants, empirically proven in Canada. Either makes agriculture fail via overcrowding or makes farmers resort to really harmful pesticides.

Soil Depletion Turn - GMOs kill off invertebrates and bacteria in soil, which are key to agriculture. Esp. true in Africa, where most farmers don't have access to expensive chemical fertilizers.

Off-Case:

EU Trade DA - African agriculture needs European makets to export to, Europe won't import GMOs (public hates them, some nations ban them), African agriculture has no market -> dies

Econ/Politics/Your favorite generic argument here

• Downvote 1

Sign in to follow this