Audioslave

UNLV and CSU- Long Beach

I'm looking at the University of Nevada at Las Vegas and California State University at Long Beach for school and debate, and they seem to be rather difficult to dig up useful information on. Can anyone fill me in on anything?

Don't know much about CSU-Long Beach other than that they enjoyed pretty great success a few years back. I'd bet someone from that area has their contact info. There is someone on here named Kristina Bell (sp?) that posts often and attends school there.

UNLV has a great program--good coaching staff, lots of debaters, good institutional support, etc. They're in their inaugural season and are doing really well. All the info for how to apply there is located here.

Hope that helps, feel free to e-mail me at brubaie at gmail dot com if you have more questions.

Hello!

My name is Dr. Jake Thompson and I’m the Director of Debate at the University of Nevada, Las Vegas. UNLV’s “Sanford I. Berman Debate Forum” is currently recruiting debaters for the 2008-2009 season.

The UNLV Debate Team has achieved great success in its first season. The team has been in a number of out rounds and won numerous speaker awards on an individual level. The team is comprised of individuals of varying experience ranging from novices to debaters with years of experience.

The UNLV Debate Team has ample scholarship opportunities, and our travel budget allows us to travel to the best tournaments in the nation. So far this year the team has traveled to Gonzaga, Georgia State, Baylor, Wake Forest, Harvard, USC, CSU-Fullerton, Cal Berkeley, Weber, University of Texas-Austin, and we are currently prepping for more tournaments. The UNLV debate program is blessed with an incredible coaching staff and serious departmental and financial support.

If you are interested in joining the UNLV Debate Team, or have any questions or thoughts about the team, please contact me ASAP. My email address is jacob.thompson@unlv.edu. You should also fill out the "student interest form" (below) and send it back to me via email.

University of Nevada Las Vegas, Sanford I. Berman Debate Forum, Student Interest Form

Name:

Home Address:

City/State/Zip:

Student ID#:

Phone #:

High School:

Email address:

What was the primary event that you were involved with in high school (check appropriate events):

Policy Debate___

Lincoln Douglas Debate___

Parliamentary Debate___

Congress___

Other (specify)_______________

year in college OR expected date of college entrance:

high school g.p.a. (on a 4.0 scale):

college g.p.a. (if applicable--on a 4.0 scale):

To process your scholarship application, we need the following materials:

1. Completed interest form

2. A letter of interest that explains why you would like to debate in college (and specifically at UNLV). This letter should explain their level of interest, enthusiasm for debate, work ethic, etc.

3. A letter or list that details your level of high school experience. Please indicate how many years you debated in high school (and college if applicable), how many tournaments you attended each year, and any awards that you won

4. A letter of recommendation from your high school coach, or someone with whom you worked at a summer debate institute. Please ask the recommender to "frankly assess the student's potential to succeed in college policy debate." If you wish you may submit more than one letter of recommendation

5. You may also submit additional materials such as a video of a debate, letters of recommendation from high school teachers, etc.

RETURN THIS COMPLETED FORM, AND ALL OTHER MATERIALS, TO:

jacob.thompson@unlv.edu. If you are unable to email the document, you may send it via snail mail to:

Dr. Jake Thompson, Director of Debate, University of Nevada, Las Vegas, 4505 Maryland Parkway, Box 454052 Las Vegas, NV 89154-4052

If you have any questions or concerns, please contact me via email at or at (702)-809-9670