Hephaestus

Juno - Pro and Con

Did you Like 'Juno'?  

75 members have voted

1. 1. Did you Like 'Juno'?

• Yes
    • No

I thought it was a fun and honest look at modern feminism through the eyes of a young woman facing the quintessential feminine questions.

I thought it was a fun and honest look at modern feminism through the eyes of a young woman facing the quintessential feminine questions.

How essentialist.....you pig.

Nah, but really the music gave me a headache.

• Upvote 1

see how easy it is for white people to have children and go smuggly with the rest of their lives?

What's the point being white if you can't be smug?

not that it was the best film of the year or anything but 2007 produced barely any great films worth remembering and the Oscars seem like a wash this year

agreed on the good movie for a date

i enjoyed it, i don't think it was a GREAT movie, but it kept my attention and had some good acting (the girl was excellent).

No Country seemed to have a hollow plot line and the characters were stale. Maybe it's just me but I like to see movies that end with bad guys redeeming themselves...

The last year was one of the best in recent memory for Hollywood movies.

No Country for Old Men

Juno

American Gangster

There Will be Blood

Eastern Promises

The list could go on. I can't remember a better year for wide-release movies. (Granted, Juno got there through the back-door - but it still got there)

• Upvote 2

Agreed 100%. Juno wasn't even the best pregnancy movie of the year ("Knocked Up"), imho.
I liked that as well. I disagree on it being better than Juno, but to each their own. On that note, Superbad was a great time, and we had some great eyecandy kinds of flicks with stuff like Cloverfield, Transformers, and even I am Legend. There were a whole load of second tier stuff that I found plenty entertaining even without finding them particularly artistic.

Bad:

Dialogue, music, screenplay, film could've been 40 minutes and accomplished the same thing, addresses aforementioned real issues in a pretty preposterous manner, didn't find it nearly as witty or funny as some championed it as, psuedo-hipster nightmare

I disagree. I think that both the script and the plot were outstanding. I disagree that the film could have been edited down much more than it was. I have not seen any of the other movies up for the academy award this year, but I saw most of the movies that were nominated last year.

I saw Babel, the Queen, Little Miss Sunshine, and the Departed. These were all good films, but I feel that Juno was head and shoulders better than each of these.

I thought the Departed had a good plot, but it was no where near the quality of 'Good Fellas,' the film that Martin Scorcese should have gotten best director for. The Departed was a good film, but it was overstocked with stars and there was a lot of useless gore.

I saw the movie with my girlfriend. The 'chick flick' quality to the movie was strong. The foil is the 'liberal arts guy' (as opposed to any of the women in the film, the more blue collar father, the innocent boyfriend, etc.) That is a bent that is too common in arts and literature. However, I thought the points were subtle, the script was outstanding, and the plot was seemless - you really didn't know what was going to happen until the end. While you make a point about the dialogue and the characters being 'hipster,' I felt that the characters were actually very real, and the film was very contemporary in its take on these themes. The film speaks to sociological realities that are very close to home, certainly more real than gangsters. The aspect of delicate boundaries that exist demonstrates a complexity that becomes more and more evident as you get older.

Ok, the part before the opening credits was the worst part of the whole movie -- dialogue seemed straight out of Napoleon Dynamite. Next worse were the opening credits, not because they were bad, but because they didn't redeem the part of the movie before the opening credits, which meant that five minutes into the movie, I still didn't think it was worth seeing (note: I remember this same sensation during both viewings).

But after that, the movie was fantastic, I'd go so far as to call it one of my favorites. I thought Cody wrote Juno's character very well, and Page acted it even better. Yeah, she's not your stereotypical high school girl -- and the movie would've been terrible if she was. The character made the movie --it's well articulated, between the spontaneous movement of furniture in the opening sequence, the musical taste, the horror movie fetish, etc. Obviously Juno's character was written to be something special, something unique, something sophisticated in that 30-year-old male Bohemian sort of way (and thus the chemistry with Jason Bateman's character. Cody knew exactly what he was doing).

Also, Allison Janney and her character were awesome. I mean, c'mon: "doctors are sadists who like to play God and watch lesser people scream." The movie was a hilarious comedy until it became a wonderful chick-flicky romance.

Probably not as good technically as No Country -- I'd still give Javier Bardem a hypothetical "performance of the year" award. But I enjoyed Juno more.

Ok, the part before the opening credits was the worst part of the whole movie -- dialogue seemed straight out of Napoleon Dynamite. Next worse were the opening credits, not because they were bad, but because they didn't redeem the part of the movie before the opening credits, which meant that five minutes into the movie, I still didn't think it was worth seeing (note: I remember this same sensation during both viewings).

I couldn't have put it better myself. Beyond hating the soundtrack so horribly that I plugged my ears during the season changes, I was left at the end of the movie struggling to decide if I liked it or not. I think that I was trying to decide if the movie was overcoming such a shitty beginning that deviated from its style for so long that I missed much of the movie.

... has anybody seen there will be blood?

daniel day lewis will come into whatever room you happen to be sleeping in and slit your fucking throat.

i shit you not.

juno was one of those liberal ass hippie mud rolling indie ass gay movies that suck

agreed???

yeah, but that's not the only reason i liked it

I felt like the movie portrayed teenage life well and I could easily relate.

I agree with you Burns in terms of there not really being a point in arguing about a movie. I notice that I either like or hate a movie depending on what mood I am in, how long its been since I saw one, or whatever.

When I look back on my high school days, I do remember people talking like that. To me, she is talking like a junior in high school, not a 30 year old. In my life experience, that is when people talked like that, and they subsequently got past the inside joke, the purposefully awkward reference, etc. It reminded me of times in high school when I had a group of friends that used to talk to each other like that - it was like we had our own language. I don't talk like that to people anymore.

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1

The last year was one of the best in recent memory for Hollywood movies.

No Country for Old Men

Juno

American Gangster

There Will be Blood

Eastern Promises

The list could go on. I can't remember a better year for wide-release movies. (Granted, Juno got there through the back-door - but it still got there)

QFA, I think this year was exceptionally good for movies.

Juno was great, in my opinion...hilarious, sweet, and engaging. And the soundtrack is good, as many have pointed out.

No Country For Old Men was brilliant...if it doesn't win the Oscar, I will be seriously pissed.

No Country For Old Men was brilliant...if it doesn't win the Oscar, I will be seriously pissed.

Get ready to be pissed - the academy loves sappy chick flicks (Titanic for fuck's sake) so the smart money is on Atonement. I still haven't seen it, and it might be good, but making a tear-jerker from a romance novel shows less creativity than running a camp file case.