My partner and I are both rising sophmores, and we're planning on going to the SDI/Spartan 3 week at Michigan State. Does anyone have information about it? And also, a general question- is it better to go to camp with your partner and room with them and stuff, or go on your own to seperate camps? We're both first timers, so we kinda wanted some support, rather then just going to some random camp alone.

Thanks!

My partner and I are both rising sophmores, and we're planning on going to the SDI/Spartan 3 week at Michigan State. Does anyone have information about it? And also, a general question- is it better to go to camp with your partner and room with them and stuff, or go on your own to seperate camps? We're both first timers, so we kinda wanted some support, rather then just going to some random camp alone.

Thanks!

My partner and I went to the 3 week last summer and it was great, check out the debate website at MSU... it is debate.msu.edu

this will give you the info needed, and if you debate with your partner at camp you learn the arguments and strategies as a team... not as an individual

I went to the 3 week last summer as a rising sophomore as well...The program's great for first time campers, I learned a lot of stuff there, the lab leaders don't go off on specific arguments but are great teachers. There is also a mini-tournament plus a large end of the camp tournament, I believe.

I went to SDI as a rising sophmore last year, it was a great experience. The best part is you get 2 tournaments and a bunch of practice rounds. At the same time, you will also do a decent amount of research. The lab leaders are pretty good too

Like those other guys, I too went to the SDI 3 week for rising sophomores last year. If you go with your partner, rooming with him/her is fine, but I wouldn't recommend debating with him/her. One of the most important aspects of camp is learning to debate with others, and getting new perspectives on debate through debating with others.

Personally though, from what I've heard and seen, the 4 week camp for sophomores is a LOT better than the 3 week. Although it is more expensive, it's worth the money.

ahh im going to the 4 week this summer and im very excited

i know another girl from my school who is going there

she isnt my normal partner, but i wouldnt be debating with either her nor my normal partner next year anyways.i will probly end up debating with her junior year. do you think itd be ok to debate with her there?

wouldn't i still get the whole "debate with new people experience?

ahh im going to the 4 week this summer and im very excited

i know another girl from my school who is going there

she isnt my normal partner, but i wouldnt be debating with either her nor my normal partner next year anyways.i will probly end up debating with her junior year. do you think itd be ok to debate with her there?

wouldn't i still get the whole "debate with new people experience?

I've always held the opinion that you should debate with somebody as different from your normal partner as is possible (without getting into disagreements or destroying your chances of winning debates, obviously).

You'll have your whole career to debate with kids from your school - pairing up with somebody else teaches you how to adapt in a relatively short amount of time and improves your teamwork skills.

what is the campus life like? how strict is it? whats curfew? can you walk off campus? all of that great stuff that they dont tell you about on the website?

what is the campus life like? how strict is it? whats curfew? can you walk off campus? all of that great stuff that they dont tell you about on the website?

i second this !

but in the acceptance packet

it says you cant go off campus, curfews at ten, and guys and girls arent allowed in eachothers room or onthe same floor

haha

• Downvote 1

Like thats gonna happen.

Anyone got any tips on how to keep the annoying buttholes from your team out of your camp?

Like thats gonna happen.

Anyone got any tips on how to keep the annoying buttholes from your team out of your camp?

If they end up getting into that same camp, give them the wrong flight info if they wanna share a flight and make sure to tell tnem that you've signed up for other labs. It works well.

haha my partner and i and our friends went off campus all the time. there are like boundaries of where you can go but theres no way to enforce it. we also broke curfew all the time. and the no girls on the guys floor and vice versa rule. you can get away with anything if you're crafty.

haha my partner and i and our friends went off campus all the time. there are like boundaries of where you can go but theres no way to enforce it. we also broke curfew all the time. and the no girls on the guys floor and vice versa rule. you can get away with anything if you're crafty.

ha sounds promising. im sure i could find a way