Tomak

Topicality - A term-by-term look at the resolution.

I'm thinking, is "alternative energy" the same as "renewable energy" in this topic? Because according to my research, the 1997-1998 High school debate topic was about "renewable energy"...

I'm thinking, is "alternative energy" the same as "renewable energy" in this topic? Because according to my research, the 1997-1998 High school debate topic was about "renewable energy"...

People could easily play it the same-- most renewable energy sources are what we now qualify as 'alternative energy'. But there is definitely room to argue that there are nonrenewable alternative energy sources, or that not all renewable energy sources are 'alternative.'

The key on the "alternative" vs. "renewable" discussion is the simple fact that the resolution language is not random; it is crafted. The folks who settled on this wording were fully cognizant of our having used "renewable" last time. That means they chose "alternative" because of a meaningful difference between the two words. The fun starts when we try to thrash out what they thought the difference was... ;)

US Department of Interior, Minerals Management Service. March 27, 2008. http://www.mms.gov/offshore/AlternativeEnergy/Definitions.htm

Fuel sources that are other than those derived from fossil fuels. Typically used interchangeably for renewable energy.

I think although you could argue "framer's intent", teams could run the framers also appointed the USFG as the agent of action, and according to the agent renewable and alternative are interchangeable.

US Department of Interior, Minerals Management Service. March 27, 2008. http://www.mms.gov/offshore/AlternativeEnergy/Definitions.htm

Fuel sources that are other than those derived from fossil fuels. Typically used interchangeably for renewable energy.

I think although you could argue "framer's intent", teams could run the framers also appointed the USFG as the agent of action, and according to the agent renewable and alternative are interchangeable.

That's a decent card, although I think the source as being the BEST source is a little shaky. However, I think this term of art is a little too small in scope. Technically speaking, the full term of art should be (in my mind anyways) "alternative energy incentives." After all, that's what the resolution is calling for an increase of. I think that term of art distinction will play out through contextual definitions and fix the problem being discussed currently.

Another interesting piece of literature giving context to the "AEI" term in the resolution:

http://www.flsenate.gov/data/session/2008/Senate/bills/billtext/pdf/s0414.pdf

The bill creates an "Alternative Energy Incentive Program," defines its scope, and then defines what it means by "alternative energy." I cut the card from page 10.

Section 2. Section 288.10895, Florida Statutes, is created to read: 261

288.10895 Alternative Energy Incentive Program.-- 262

(1) PROGRAM CREATED.--The Alternative Energy Incentive 263

Program is created and shall be operated by the Florida 264

Alternative Energy Center. The program shall encourage economic 265

development and research and development in the state which will 266

commercialize alternative energy innovations and develop new 267

alternative energy manufacturing, blending, power generation, and 268

distribution facilities.269

(2) DEFINITIONS.--As used in this section, the term:270

(a) "Alternative energy" means electrical, mechanical, or 271

thermal energy produced from a method that uses one or more of 272

the following fuels or energy sources: ethanol, biodiesel, 273

biomass, biogas, waste heat, fuel cells, hydrogen, solar, hydro, 274

wind, or geothermal.275

I would guess that the proper citation would be something like "Florida Senate Bill 414 (2008) introduced by Senator Bennett." But to be perfectly honest, I have no idea how to properly cite legislation that hasn't passed. Any guesses?