Sign in to follow this  
gocrazy522

What do you wear for an LD tournament?

I tell my girls to wear the exact same thing they expect their male counterparts to wear. Think Hillary-chic.

A nice skirt-suit or pant-suit, depending on your style. No tie, of course, but a blouse with a collar. Matching coat and skirt/pants a must.

for some bizarre reasons, pumps are all the rage the last few years. The Gwynedd Mercy girls started it, I think.

While I'm on the topic (I'm a female), keep the makeup light. nothing more than a dusting of blush and mascara. I can't recall any PA schools that wear much lipstick. Maybe just some pink gloss.

Hair in a bun or a ponytail, if it is going to get in your face. I know it is silly, since most of those guys have that long ragged unwashed hair in their faces, but it is the "norm."

See you at Pennsbury!!

• Downvote 1

Yuck? Hey, even our policy team dresses up (its supposed to get the opponents resepect).

yeah, I come from a school where dressing up is something that we never do.. and many of the teams we face are dressed up. generally, I respect teams that dress up less, it gives the impression that they focus more on appearances than necessary. but I don't really think it has an impact on the debate. there's not really a correlation between good debaters and dressing up - tons of bad debaters dress up, and tons of good debaters dress up, as well as the reverse - that I've seen anyways. and we're not in such a dire judging situation that it really has any impact on who wins the rounds

Why would yoiu go through all that wasted effort to wear a suit to an event at which a suit would make you painfully overdressed? Expecially when it makes no difference to the outcome of the round. Just wear whatever you would wear if you were not going to a tournament that day.

See, it's a different world in PA debate. Everyone comes looking like future MBAs. And the judges in PA EXPECT that. I've seen ballots where kids get nailed for being underdressed.

In the Harrisburg area there is a weekly debate league, and that doesn't require formal attire. One school amusingly wears death metal shirts as their "uniform." But for Saturday tournaments, it's all about the ties and jackets. And for the girls, it tends to be even more formal.

It would be much nicer if that wasn't the expected norm, believe me.

On the other hand, I've had to judge rounds with a kid wearing sunglasses before, and snapping gum. Not a big deal, I know, but annoying as heck.

It's all about impressing the judges and winning the ballot. Adapt, adapt, adapt.

If your judges are dinosaurs, you've gotta adapt to it and give them what they want. That's why it's a competition.

I think you have to actually do this thing called dress up.

yuck.

ewwwwwwwwwwwwwww

Debate nekkid...free your mind and body from the western concepts of clothing and social control.

that's more like it.