Sign in to follow this  
The Third

Sustainable development aff

What is this aff?

This aff deals with implementing sustainable development in ag so the africans can feed themselves. The advantages normally deal with food security, biodiversity and industrial agriculture (they say industrial ag causes gm food, which kills the environment)

Sustainable development is a very broad term, but I would assume that it involves some new policy of development by US in SSA. Examples of sustainable development programs include: UN Development Programme, World Business Council for sustainable development, and there's this colony in like colombia called Gaviotas which was built upon sustainable development. Just by researching it for a little bit it seems to link hard to dev and i guess you could spin a dedev K. I'm pretty sure there's no real reason why US is key, just have an alternate actor do it with a neoliberalism net benefit. It also seems really imperialistic, this next part is from wikipedia:

"Another criticism of the term and application is that it effectively constitutes 21st century Western arrogance/imperialism towards the developing world since it impedes development and improvement of the human condition in poorer nations; e.g., "we got ours, but we don't want you to get yours because you'll pollute too much""

[SIZE=3]Professor Susan Owens had a lecture talking about how sustainable development can actual be bad for the environment. The US has developed a lot over the years, but we're going to try to implement sustainable development within SSA? She didn't really blatantly say that sustainable development leads to a bunch of bad things, but she says it's possible for sustainable development to lead to problems in the environment.

Articles for the affirmative are everywhere I just don't see why the U.S. is key. Has anyone actually cut an affirmative case for this or have any cites for this case? [/size]

Sorry, editing got messed up.

• Downvote 2

What do you mean by T-Diseases? (sorry for my incompetence)

I have cites

i'm pretty sure he means, PH means treatment of diseases....

don't feel incompetent tho

furthermore..........hm i'd run T on...idk i'm sure there's a lot of vulnerabilities if i saw plan text

Observation is Inherency

Politicians won’t fund sustainable development because they want to see a short term return on their investment-alternative energy proves.

Nature 2002 (Tom Clarke [news syndicate]Sustainable development: Wanted: scientists for sustainability” August 22, 2002)

Both politicians and …Christmas," Lawton says.

Lack of sustainable development adversely affects public health and exacerbates public health.

Randall 1999 (Vernellia [Professor of law at Institute on Race, Health Care and the Law at The University of Dayton School of Law] “Racism Health and Sustainable Development” http://academic.udayton.edu/health/07HumanRights/sustain01.htm)

Sustainable development, as…comprehensive and detail.

wtf is sustainable development, are we talkin plan text as increased infrastructure for hospitals or so methin???

"Sustainable development, as defined by the World Commission on Environment and Development (the Brundtland Commission), is "the capacity to meet the needs of the present without compromising the ability of future generations to meet their own needs." Development needs are now understood to go beyond economic issues to encompass the full range of social and political issues that define the overall quality of life, which necessarily includes health. Thus, a prime directive of Agenda 21 is "protecting and promoting human health". The World Health Organization defines health as ". . . a state of complete physical, mental, and social well-being and not merely the absence of disease or infirmity.'"

Its one of the inherency cards.

From looking at the outline, an international counterplan looks like the way to go. There's zero US-key warrant in it. And just tag on any disad and you've got a winning strat.

• Downvote 1

"Sustainable development, as defined by the World Commission on Environment and Development (the Brundtland Commission), is "the capacity to meet the needs of the present without compromising the ability of future generations to meet their own needs." Development needs are now understood to go beyond economic issues to encompass the full range of social and political issues that define the overall quality of life, which necessarily includes health. Thus, a prime directive of Agenda 21 is "protecting and promoting human health". The World Health Organization defines health as ". . . a state of complete physical, mental, and social well-being and not merely the absence of disease or infirmity.'"

Its one of the inherency cards.

ok that's quite a definition.

what's plan text?

• Downvote 1

The United States federal government should substantially increase its public health assistance to sub-Saharan Africa by providing all the funds, expertise and other resources necessary to adopt sustainable development in sub-Saharan Africa. Funding and enforcement through normal means, ask and we’ll clarify.

This case is horribly extra topical. Most of the tactics required to create sustainable development aren't health related (I.e a liberalized economy and promotion of industrial development/government reform). You could probably plC out of one of the tactics end just argue that that specific one

a) negatively affects Africa/the world through some disadvantage or impact turn

B) doesnt play an integral role In sustainable development

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1

i smell development. links so hard is and is SO specific to this.

escobar devoted chapters in his book to 1. economy, 2. famine, 3. poverty. the camp files you can find from ndca's website should have all the cards you need. seriously, escobar wrote about how each cause a bunch of stuff, plus there lots of epistemology cards on how famine discourse has been created to justify intervention by the west, and how famine harms have always been exaggerated. there's arg like that for each of the other ones.

• Downvote 1

sustainable development meaning what? is this case supposed to implement play pumps? or develop large scale highway/road systems. I am not sure how concise you can make such a broad spectrum of methods within this topic...

Just joking in all theoretical and hypothetical situations we may encounter in this realm. Anyway a good sustainable development plan is like building roads, environmental education, justice system, communication, and basically building a democratic atmosphere. In all cases being a novice myself I've used sustainable development concepts and theories to support my plan but thing is it requires a lot of thought about implementation and the crap behind it all.

This case is horribly extra topical. Most of the tactics required to create sustainable development aren't health related (I.e a liberalized economy and promotion of industrial development/government reform). You could probably plC out of one of the tactics end just argue that that specific one

a) negatively affects Africa/the world through some disadvantage or impact turn

B) doesnt play an integral role In sustainable development

Even though i'm a novice i won with a redevelopment plan by being able to be coherent and precise of plan implementation. Topicality is a run that occurs when there is a failed link to health assistance. But there are milliond of cards stating how without security and politcial reform there is no possible resource conservation success. IT can go either way but its up to a debater to connect each one even though they can be so concealed and not apparent. If you want to do something like that it requires time to break things apart. But beware topicality is a major piece of crap!

In all honesty, the solvency on this plan sounds sweet. But, it's totally extra-topical, as has been said.

Sign in to follow this