Sign in to follow this  
double d

Nanotech?

Does anyone know what this aff says or have some Neg evidence on it?

Like, what, we use nanotechnology in Africa to solve their problems? Have you had this read against you?

nanotech solves for everything.

I'm assuming this might be directed towards our aff case?

If you have any questions about it you can pm me if you want.

For neg, you will want to start at the Center for Responsible Nanotechnology website. The Economist a few weeks ago had a good (and cardable) article on nanotech and its dangers.

nanotech solves for everything.

Exactly... =]. Its like the fountain of youth... except... better. And yes, some teams are running it. We have it as a.... D aff, so we dont run it very much. We do the plan or terrorists do. "this ain't a scene its a god damn arms race"

Nanotech can destroy the world in 5 separate scenarios. There was an author, a long time ago, (dating myself) Drexler. All your good ole grey goo arguments, as well as eliminating work ethic ---> dehum stuff.

Nanotech can destroy the world in 5 separate scenarios. There was an author, a long time ago, (dating myself) Drexler. All your good ole grey goo arguments, as well as eliminating work ethic ---> dehum stuff.

http://www.stargeek.com/item/157971.html

shitty source, but im not on my computer to get a credible one.

If you want some decent cards there is a very easy to read book on nano-tech good Ratner & Ratner (i think it's 02) about how Nano is key to heg, solving Terror, and stopping an arms race (i.e. we get nano- and negate the necessity for nukes [or something lame like that]). But these people have some pretty good quals and are writing from the perspective of the MIC. Just thought I would throw this out there since there are a few nano hacks running around here.

: )

P.s. There are also a few answers to grey-goo.

EDIT: As for the Aff, can't help you there... but this book would probably help if you were going to run it.

Someone on our team ran a Nanotech DA that was very good and it would be interesting to run against the Aff nanotech case... lol (It's like running a K against a kritikal aff...)

uh, i'm pretty sure that as nanotech only has the *potential to become* a solvency mechanism, and doesn't currently exist in the way in which a solvency card talks about, the case is an abuse of fiat. for the aff to fiat plan passage, they also need to fiat the successful R&D of amazing nanotech.

seriously, nanotech is in a very preliminary stage right now; all of those articles you read about nanomachines killing AIDS or enriching soil are hopeful speculation. I work in a lab research group studying nano/micro scale stuff, and i've seen a lot of lectures on 'cutting edge' nanotech. what we have now can't solve for anything in SSA.

Advocating that we use nanotech to solve problems in SSA is almost as bad as advocating the use of teleportation to solve the energy crisis around fuels.

uh, i'm pretty sure that as nanotech only has the *potential to become* a solvency mechanism, and doesn't currently exist in the way in which a solvency card talks about, the case is an abuse of fiat. for the aff to fiat plan passage, they also need to fiat the successful R&D of amazing nanotech.

seriously, nanotech is in a very preliminary stage right now; all of those articles you read about nanomachines killing AIDS or enriching soil are hopeful speculation. I work in a lab research group studying nano/micro scale stuff, and i've seen a lot of lectures on 'cutting edge' nanotech. what we have now can't solve for anything in SSA.

Advocating that we use nanotech to solve problems in SSA is almost as bad as advocating the use of teleportation to solve the energy crisis around fuels.

Except that teleportation is wildly infeasible, and to many theoretically impossible, while nantechnological discoveries remain on the horizon and could in the next 15 to 30 years provide public health solutions in a number of places. If you want literature explaining this I'll be glad to pm you or post it.

that was my point. it's on the horizon, with no guarantee. (notice in my post i said "almost as bad" as advocating teleportation). the affirmative still needs to fiat that these advances and successes will happen. They rely on a currently non-existent solvency mechanism.

that was my point. it's on the horizon, with no guarantee. (notice in my post i said "almost as bad" as advocating teleportation). the affirmative still needs to fiat that these advances and successes will happen. They rely on a currently non-existent solvency mechanism.

They are solvency mechanisms that have proven theoretical and practical applications. Teleportation is woefully deplete of any scientific backing or practicality. Their is nothing wrong with an AFF plan that uses nanotech as its solvency mechanism as long as they take timeframe into account. We're not waiting for "discoveries" per se but rather the streamline engineering of several products and processes, sort of how bioengineering is waiting for a "standardization" of genetic and cellular parts. We have an idea of how to cure malaria with microdots but nobody has gotten to the point of human testing or general production for that matter. An AFF has to think about testing, private industry incentive and the market (which could slow down or speed up the process depending on who makes what technology and how fast they are ready to hit the market with it), as well as sheer manufacturing.

Really timeframe is the true weakness with using a nanotech Aff as there exists a number of solutions currently for the number of diseases and plagues we already have. Practicality would seem to flow on the Status Quo side of things. However, attacking the solvency of such nanotechnology is an uphill battle as there are literally thousands of papers written every year about the feasible possibilities of nanotechnology. I see nothing wrong with fiating something like funding for nanotechnology infrastructure and solutions in a place like SSA. Show me a negative that wants to argue that none of the nanotech solutions will come to fruitition and I'll show you a negative that is going to be buried in AFF literature.

Although there may already be posts with camp nanotech aff's, would anyone mind posting a sample plan text of this aff? I think that would clarify neg strats for me a bit.

Thanks, and sorry for deviating from current conversation.

Alas, its a kick ass aff thats been going good.

as far as plan text..

usfg should blah blah blah p.h.a. by fully funding distribution, training, and research innovation, reg. by epa/fda (whichever floats your boat)

Solvency is iffy but there are really good cards out there that specify certain nano medicines that have been fully developed.

Theres also cards that say nano for p.h.a. is a great idea, but the problem lies with the strategy outline made in 2006

Nano initiatives have also been made in some parts of SSA

its one of those cases..where you just try to fly over solvency...mhm

ha ha ummm...we run Nano...I was just wondering if any other teams did.

Sign in to follow this