Sign in to follow this  
The Furry

Is Gag Rule Inherent?

yeah a foreign aid appropriations bill has passed in congress in congress to allocate money to do things the gag rule does not allow (essentially repealing it) BUT bush promised to veto it so either:

a) he has and its not big news

or

b)he hasnt yet but he will so theres nothing to write about

im sure that article said something to that effect, i didnt read it tho

thank you.

that's what i thought.

yeah a foreign aid appropriations bill has passed in congress in congress to allocate money to do things the gag rule does not allow (essentially repealing it) BUT bush promised to veto it so either:

a) he has and its not big news

or

b)he hasnt yet but he will so theres nothing to write about

im sure that article said something to that effect, i didnt read it tho

well, the bill passed in congress on september 7th repealed the gag rule (essentially), and there is no literature saying that bush vetoed it.

no veto.

no pocket veto.

congress was in session.

it say on his desk for 10 days.

its now law?

The article says the Democrats have backed off their attempts to fully overturn the Gag Rule because they wouldn't be able to muster up enough votes to override a veto.

wasn't this just another bill adding to the previous one?

Wasn't the bill that passed in september one that said congress could fund the distribution of contraceptives? i don't see how the GGR was overturned as a result.

Wasn't the bill that passed in september one that said congress could fund the distribution of contraceptives? i don't see how the GGR was overturned as a result.

that passed in the house but the senate version was a full repeal. before a bill is sent to the president, it goes to conference committie so that house/senate differences are sorted out. In conference, Dem. Senate leadership squeezed a full repeal into the omnibus spending bill, but then bush said he'd veto it, so democrats caved in (surprise) and waited until the last minute and removed the repeal of the policy (great negotiating) and Bush signed the half-a-trillion spending bill.

I am sorry for bumping an older thread, but the gag rule is inherent now. In the Omnibus it was thrown back in. Taking into account the document was incredibly huge and full of pork, nobody noticed, including Bush, as nobody read it.

Sign in to follow this