sykesunt

UNT Mean Green 2008

I'm trying to get into skillz after my other camp, but I don't know how feasible it is $$ or logistically. Peeps will get word.

I believe it works logistically. I talked to Jason Sykes about doing the same thing, and he said it should work out.

what's better for before sophomore year, soph scholars at stanford plus fourth week or scholars at unt plus skills?

bob...the builder...it really depends, having gone to both Stanford and UNT I would say they all offer very good skills. Its really up to you. I'm of the belief that camp is what you make it and I think UNT and SNFI are both places you can do well at.

2 questions...

1. How many people are there per dorm?

2. If I have a friend who is going and doing the LD camp, am I able to share a dorm with him?

what's better for before sophomore year, soph scholars at stanford plus fourth week or scholars at unt plus skills?

Scholars at UNT plus skills is the way to go—you get everything. For the scholars lab, you get a small lab with highly qualified instructors teaching you about debate, answering any questions and providing you with all the information you need about the topic, on top of several camp-wide lectures and electives from some of the smartest people in all of debate. The scholars lab ends with a tournament so you get a lot of debates in there, but the real fun starts in the skills session. You and a few other kids will get a lab leader or two all to yourselves to have practice debates, supplement research, talk about theory, arguments, anything. And the skills session ends with ANOTHER tournament. Imagine leaving camp with 4 trophies (usually some sort of mug or thing sykes picked up from 7/11)

2 questions...

1. How many people are there per dorm?

2. If I have a friend who is going and doing the LD camp, am I able to share a dorm with him?

1. There are typically two people to each dorm. As far as I know we’ll be in Bruce again this year which has two beds, two desks, a sink and two closets in each dorm and a hallway bathroom.

2. There is a section on the application for roommate requests. I’ve never been denied a roommate request, but this is something you’ll have to leave to the discretion of camp directors.

But go ahead and apply anyway, you’ll have time to hob-nob with LDers even if you aren’t in their room.

• Upvote 1

I've applied but I didn't get any word on whether I'm in or what kind of scholarship I got. Is anyone bringing a Wii plus SSBB? I have a gamecube controller I can bring if needed. Also, I think we should start posting names and speaker positions (I saw this in the Gonzaga forum). I'll start:

Jeremy (Varsity)

2A/1N

I've applied but I didn't get any word on whether I'm in or what kind of scholarship I got. Is anyone bringing a Wii plus SSBB? I have a gamecube controller I can bring if needed. Also, I think we should start posting names and speaker positions (I saw this in the Gonzaga forum). I'll start:

Jeremy (Varsity)

2A/1N

See you there Jeremy. Hot blooded part two?

Kyle Eriksen (Scholars + Skills - Junior)

2A/1N

GVHS

Edited by hotbarstow2AC

Eli Bacon, Senior Scholars+Skillz

2a on the nat circuit, 2n on the local circuit, flexible on speaker position at camp

SFA high school, qualled for the toc this year

Natalie San Luis, Scholars

1N/2A and would like a fun yet not lazy partner :]

No specific argument preferences - I usually take T and the disad in the block; for the past two years I've only run critical and middle-of-the-road critical affs.

Bid at UT; lost our last bid round at Berkeley

Dustin Darby

Flexible on speaker positions while @ camp

Varsity-Scholars

Would have to say i lean more towards the policy side of debate but I think kritiks are a good option @ the end of a debate. I like to run affs that can be argued to be topical.

David Mullins

1A/2N

Scholars/Skills

I broke at nearly every tournament I attended including Grapevine, UT and TFA state with a 75-80% negative win percentage.

I went for 8 minutes of NATO, a PIC, or T, or five minutes of one of the first two and 3 of T all this year. When I feel frisky I go for a K for 8 minutes. I want a partner who has their shit together and is fun to chill with.

Uhm so I'm not actually going to UNT, but two of our rising juniors are. Our problem is that one rising junior cannot stay for the tournament, so our other rising junior has a partner for any practice rounds before the tournament, but no partner for the actual tournament. It would be great if someone was willing to debate with him just for the tournament. His name is Joey Donaghy, he's been in debate for 2 years now, and he's a 2A/1N. He qualified for state his sophomore year and has no really notable national circuit results because well, sophomores at our school don't really get to go to TOC tournaments. But he's really fun and relaxed and a great guy. PM me if you're interested please.

I have one student attending:

Navroz Tharani

Rising Junior

2 Wk lab. 1A/2A/2N experience

Jeremy (Varsity)

2A/1N

Jerm, why do you have to be "that kid"