sykesunt

UNT Mean Green 2008

I want to take the chance to thank everyone for their continued support of the UNT Mean Green Workshops. We had another successful year with more than 240 total participants. We've posted dates and other important information for next year on our website, http://www.meangreenworkshops.com, and we'll be making updates to the staff pages ASAP.

Let me know if you have any questions. Email is the best way to get in touch.

Best,

jason

director@meangreenworkshops.com

• Upvote 1

Guest fizelly27

does anyone kno how hard it is to get into the K lab? And does one need to be awesomley proficient at the K to be in the lab?

I'm not sykes but I did participate in the K lab last year as well as know many participants from the year before that.

You dont have to be "awesomely" good at the K to get in

Although a lot of the K lab members have Ks they run frequently, there were some that had little to no experience with a K. I think the K lab can benefit everyone who wants to learn more about the K no matter what experience, whether you are a "K hack" or just starting, if you work hard, you will learn a lot.

I was also in the K lab.

You don't have to be amazing at K's, but experience helps with them.

I am pretty sure the Lab is on a first come first serve basis.

just wondering... how early should we send in applications for the 2 week camp? and how long do I have until it will be full (assuming you do fill)? just a novice looking for a good camp and this 1 is close to me. + this year i have heard a lot of good stuff about this camp.

cant wait til summer to go to the camp!

I should be applying to the Scholars lab.

:edit: i applied- now the only question in terms of my attendance will be that of finance.

cant wait til summer to go to the camp!

Damn your going to "the camp" that sucks man. Maybe next time you should try using a little less biopower.

• Upvote 1

Damn your going to "the camp" that sucks man. Maybe next time you should try using a little less biopower.

should i edit my quote so it say "Mean Green Workshops" rather than "the camp"?

"The camp" really isn't as bad as its cracked up to be : )

In all seriousness, UNT is a great Debate camp. As for the K lab, I wasn't ever in it, but i know for a fact that no matter who you are, you'll learn everything you need to know about running/answering/dreaming up K's and more.

I did the two week camp before my sophomore year, then the Juniors and Seniors scholars labs after that. Each time, it was great. I would definitely suggest trying to get into one of the Scholars labs (i think there is a sophomores scholars lab now) if you can afford the time/money it requires.

This year it seems like the scholars labs arent based on grade, but age, skill, experience level. be sure to apply to these!

The Skills session is definitely where its at though. No matter what, any lab you pick, you'll get plenty of individual attention but in the skills session, you get a very small lab with the best staff members ever. And you debate until your entire body hurts. But its a good kind of hurt.

i promise.

So, thats my personal appeal for going to UNT, but you can let the numbers speak for themselves. From my lab, at least ten of the participants have at least one TOC bid. (some have more than 5). From my skills session lab, everyone has at least one bid, and two of them have been in the Top ten ranking thing they just released since September.

If anyone has any questions about specifics of UNT, send me an IM (ericwright89) email (rowedan@gmail.com) or just PM me or just post here

dan

"The camp" really isn't as bad as its cracked up to be : )

In all seriousness, UNT is a great Debate camp. As for the K lab, I wasn't ever in it, but i know for a fact that no matter who you are, you'll learn everything you need to know about running/answering/dreaming up K's and more.

I did the two week camp before my sophomore year, then the Juniors and Seniors scholars labs after that. Each time, it was great. I would definitely suggest trying to get into one of the Scholars labs (i think there is a sophomores scholars lab now) if you can afford the time/money it requires.

This year it seems like the scholars labs arent based on grade, but age, skill, experience level. be sure to apply to these!

The Skills session is definitely where its at though. No matter what, any lab you pick, you'll get plenty of individual attention but in the skills session, you get a very small lab with the best staff members ever. And you debate until your entire body hurts. But its a good kind of hurt.

i promise.

So, thats my personal appeal for going to UNT, but you can let the numbers speak for themselves. From my lab, at least ten of the participants have at least one TOC bid. (some have more than 5). From my skills session lab, everyone has at least one bid, and two of them have been in the Top ten ranking thing they just released since September.

If anyone has any questions about specifics of UNT, send me an IM (ericwright89) email (rowedan@gmail.com) or just PM me or just post here

dan

What was the schedule for the skills session? About how many practice rounds a day? What did you do when you weren't debating?

• Downvote 1

The skills session schedule is a lot like it is during the camp, except instead of afternoon labs, there are more debates. I can't remember the schedule exactly, but it includes upwards of three debates per day with different things they focus on-- aff pressure, neg pressure, etc.

What was the schedule for the skills session? About how many practice rounds a day? What did you do when you weren't debating?

I think we had 3 practice rounds a day: one in the morning, afternoon, and night, as well as a lab session in the afternoon, for 4 days and then a 4 round tournament at the end of the week. It wasn't too intense though, even though we were debating a lot there was a lot of time to chill too.

I went to UNT the summer before my sophomore year and I loved it. The lab leaders were great for the sophomore lab and from what I've heard, they only get better by grade level. Additionally, I have to say, skills was probably the best week of camp I've ever been to. It was great to just debate 3-4 rounds every day and focus on special things each time. Also the personal attention was great.

I think we had 3 practice rounds a day: one in the morning, afternoon, and night, as well as a lab session in the afternoon, for 4 days and then a 4 round tournament at the end of the week. It wasn't too intense though, even though we were debating a lot there was a lot of time to chill too.

And to make people hate us :)

Some years ago when UNT was a new camp, it was a diamond in the rough. Now that the camp is nationally prominent and reputable, UNT is quite simply bling blingin it.

I went to UNT for the past two years.

First, it should be noted that it's pretty ridiculous for UNT to be ONLY charging $2500. Calum Matheson, Kuntal Cholera, Brian Lain, etc. are all instructors who you'd have to pay $4,000 at another camp just to get access to. The difference is that instead of having a horrible instructor to student ratio, you get a 4:1 ratio. The level of personalized attention at UNT cannot be overstated.

Second, the camp is comprehensive in skill and research development. A few years ago, I attended a VERY well-known (and expensive) debate camp, where every other top-notch debater went to. I didn't get much better. We spent most of our time constantly cutting cards with only a few practice debates. I only did one rebuttal redo over a Critical Legal Studies criticism. Boring.

UNT is so radically different. Obviously you'll be cutting cards a good bit, but it's nowhere near the line of obnoxious. I assure you that you'll get a very good pack of evidence at the end of camp and know what's up when it comes to researching future arguments. The uniqueness of UNT is how much your personal talent is developed. Lab leaders give you continuous flows of constructive criticism and make sure you redo speeches. Theory lectures, topic education, "how to debate <insert argument>", etc. are all common things you'll see everyday.

Third, the Skills Week will make you 10x better. The skills week is unparalleled in modern debate camp history. 18 debates in one week? Personal lab leader? This is insane. You can have the likes of Jason Murray, badass of the ages/1st speaker at the TOC/probable NDT winner, personally teach you how to win on a politics disad. FOR AN ENTIRE WEEK? The skills week gives you literally a 3 tournament (18 rounds) head start going into the year.

As Dan Rowe said earlier, so many of our peers from last summer have achieved real success. UNT is definitely one of the main reasons why I've been doing well for the past two years.

Location-wise, Denton is no Orange County. But ask yourself this very seriously: Am I going to debate camp to get my debate career handled or sight see? If you want to see a cool place, then go to Australia.

There is literally no reason not to go to UNT.

if anyone has the UNT evidence from the 2007 session, i would be very appreciative of receiving a copy of it. i was relying on the website to access it and now that its down i have no copy. muchas gracias

if anyone has the UNT evidence from the 2007 session, i would be very appreciative of receiving a copy of it. i was relying on the website to access it and now that its down i have no copy. muchas gracias

try here, it has UNT along with every other camp basically:

Camp Files