Kilgore trout

What to read for Zizek

Im interested in attempting to read some Zizek so i can better understand the Kritik. Hes written so many books, which ones are relevant to debate? If you have a good Zizek/cap k file that would also be greatly appreciated.

I felt that Zizek's Politics by Jodi Dean was a good book, and would be perfect to start on. You'll need some more in-depth lacanian knowledge for this so I'd reccomend The Lacanian Subject by Bruce Fink. The Plague of Fantasies, The Ticklish Subject, Conversations with Zizek, and The Fragile absolute are also good, among others. Also cut articles from http://www.lacan.com.

I felt that Zizek's Politics by Jodi Dean was a good book, and would be perfect to start on. You'll need some more in-depth lacanian knowledge for this so I'd reccomend The Lacanian Subject by Bruce Fink. The Plague of Fantasies, The Ticklish Subject, Conversations with Zizek, and The Fragile absolute are also good, among others. Also cut articles from www.lacan.com.

thank you

The Lacanian Subject: Between Language and Jouissance by Bruce Fink

Lacan and the Political by Yannis Stavrakakis

For They Know Not What They Do by Slavoj Zizek

The Ticklish Subject by Slavoj Zizek

The Plague of Fantasies by Slavoj Zizek

Then I suggest branching out to other Lacanians. Zizek is unnecessarily rambling and there are other authors that make his arguments in a much clearer manner. Jodi Dean was a good suggestion, also look into Joan Copjec, Tim Dean, Mark Bracher, Todd McGowan, etc. (Avoid Alenka Zupancic unless you feel like making a rather difficult framework arguments in the context of Lacan and the ethics debate. She'll just make your brain bleed if you try her for anything else [in reference to Ethics of the Real not The Shortest Shadow which is largely useless for the Lacan debate]).

The best introduction, actually, is probably Zizek's "How to Read Lacan." He keeps things very very simple, and he is explaining most of his lacanian terms, which are the hardest to get most of the time. Another good book to read is his "The Universal Exception" which is essentially a series of popular writings on politics, which aren't as obtuse or difficult.

I would avoid reading the Ticklish Subject and the Parallax View until you have read him pretty extensively.

i believe zizek said his best three books are the most recent one (parallax view), the (similarly-sized) ticklish subject, and tarrying with the negative.

his debut is still considered among his best (although a bit academic-y and he no longer agrees with some of the stances taken: namely, pro-democracy), the sublime object of ideology (1989).

(one thing to keep in mind is he repeats himself a lot: there are pages in the ticklish subject, for instance, that zizek cut&pastes word for word in the parallax view.)

as for accessible books (which aren't very political), there's looking awry: an introduction to jacques lacan through popular culture and enjoy your symptom: jacques lacan in hollywood and out - these are funny books that use lots of references to film (the matrix, hitchcock) to explain lacan.

another good way to get into zizek is to listen to his lectures. i've gathered together a suite of the better ones that're available on the internet in both myspace and facebook groups:

http://groups.myspace.com/zizekversuscolbert

http://www.facebook.com/group.php?gid=2246377316

enjoy.

I am a fan of the Zizek Reader, has a good introduction by slavoj and it is a compolation of just about every argument he makes

If you want a very introductory book, I suggest "Routledge Critical Thinkers: Slavoj Zizek" by Tony Myers. This will give you the grounding you need to understand his books. when you get around to reading them. (I feel the best ones for debate are The Plague of Fantasies, or The Parallax View)

I would disagree with previous posters and suggest you stay away from Lacan and the Political. Although its written by a Lacanian, it doesn't coincide with a lot of Zizek's work and probably won't help you learn him in the context of capitalism debates.

Another idea is to read Alex´s post a while back that explains Lacan. When i started reading zizek and philosophy i kept refering to it. Its under author expination. Thanks again alex for this.