Sign in to follow this  
n00bpwnr x

Effects topicality

I've heard many things about this and am unsure about what should be happening. I always run Fx T as a standard of another T, but at a tournament this year a judge said to run it as a separate argument?

Which one's right?

I would say run it as a seperate T. You can run on one of your standards, like limits, that voting for their C/I underlimits the topic allowing for any case that is effectually topical. But if they truly are effectually topical run it as a separate T.

• Upvote 1

I agree with I<3topicality, because reading it independently means they will answer it fully. You would be surprised how often people drop the FX-T standard in order to just read their silly non-responsive block, so in the 1NR I explode fx-t into an entire independent violation/voting issue and in the 1AR it is "too late". It makes the 2AR's job pretty easy, plus if they're not the best at T its sort of like spending 2:30 on two separate different violations (even though you should spend most of it on FX-T).

Well, usually all teams (unless they're just stupid) will meet increase, just not FX. So, reading it for the benefit that they might drop it shouldn't be expected when you're in the octas at MBA :P

what about doubles... haha

anyway, i think that you should run it as a standard, but not so they drop it. it gives you an internal link to basically everything - predictability, limits, policy comparison, ground, xtra-t.

i think that since it is so versatile (and presumably bad) it also has potential to be its own t-shell. i just like having more then one internal to multiple impacts coming out of the 1nc at least in the T debate.